“Great location”

Ranked #23 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
St. Louis
“Great location”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We arrived early on a Wednesday, and the staff was kind enough to let us check in early, and upgrade us to a partial gulf view. We were on the side with the "loud" air conditioners, and I really don't see why so many people complain about them. Our room was smaller than what we've had at other Hiltons, but they make the most of the space and the room was immaculate. The staff was great, and the location is perfect. My only suggestion is that they have more staff at the coffee bar in the morning, especially when the hotel is sold out as it was while we were there. You don't need a car if you stay here, as attractions and restaurants are within walking distance. Pool scene is great. If you don't want to pay for your internet service, register on Hilton Honors before you go and you'll get it for free.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank vballer7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Serbian first
uk
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Stayed five nights here before going to Naples.We found the reception staff and restaurant staff to be exceptionally helpful and friendly.Room was excellent with a view to die for. I think the car parking should be free for guests,and also the pools are small considering the number of guests,I appreciate that the hotel is literally on the beach but we avoided the pools as they were cram packed. Would definitely return.

California
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Our stay at the Hilton Clearwater was not as nice as we were expecting... We had a different idea about what the hotel would be comparing to the other Hiltons, definitely not so nice, but just okay.
Staff were friendly. The location is good, close to restaurants. But the rooms are very average.
Something we didn't like was the pool area, it was small, the only advantage is that it was directly connected to the beach.
So after all we can say the stay was only okay for being there just a couple days, but I would recommend to consider other options.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2009

My 6 year old son and I recently stayed at the hotel and I could not have been happier. The hotel is located right on the beach and next to Peir 60. I found the rooms and hotel to be very clean. The one knock I have on the hotel is the swimming pools are not very kid friendly in terms of depth, but the ocean is right there, so problem solved. I would definitely recommend this hotel to travelers with families.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
scott depot, west virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My family and I really enjoyed the CLEARWATER HILTON IN FLORIDA. The first couple of days were shaky, but as the week went along it was an extremely nice vacation resort. I highly recommend anyone to visit this resort and you will be guaranteed to have a great time!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2009

In a word, naw! We’ll be looking to stay somewhere else if/when we visit the Clearwater area again. First, the location. In all of the reviews that I’ve read on Trip Advisor, I didn’t come across one reference to the roundabout. This is a traffic circle that was designed by someone on drugs. It’s very dangerous and at times will create a tremendous traffic backup. During the week, and at off-hours it wasn’t bad but, at other times, it would take at least ½ hour to get through.
As for the hotel; we reserved a room with a king bed, high floor, harbor view room with a good working a/c unit, (spouse has asthma). After I made our reservation, I called the hotel and told them we’d prefer a suite if available. When we checked in, the clerk, (should be spelled with a “j”) told me, no king beds nor suites are available. He offered us one room with a king bed but with no view or, a room with two single beds. I haven’t slept in a single bed since I was a teenager. After I told him I was going to check out another hotel and asked what they would charge my credit card for cancelling, did he ask his supervisor to come over. She came over and corrected him in that these were not single beds but two doubles. I asked them to contact me if a room with a king would be available. This was on Saturday, and people would be checking out at 11:00 on Saturday and Sunday. I would check with the front desk periodically and nothing freed up. We saw many families checking out over the weekend and not one room with a king size bed freed up? When I checked with the front desk, I was told, “yes, you are on the list for a king-size bed and the rooms are being cleaned and refreshed. As soon as one is available, we will call you”. Sunday passed, no call, Monday passed, no call. They never called. And here’s the winner. I overheard the front desk talking to a family and they were offering them an upgrade to a suite. Was this suite available and they were holding it? Why wasn’t the suite offer to us? I didn’t get a good night’s sleep in 5 nights.
A vacation is what you make it; you overcome the problems that others give you and make the best of it.
We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel, the staff was exceptional and the food quite good a bit pricey but acceptable. The gal behind the bar was very friendly and personable. The facilities in the room were marginally acceptable. The shower was lacking water pressure and it felt like the shower-head was going to fall off. There are no hanging hooks in the bathroom and you have to be a contortionist to access the bathroom tissues. The staff did an excellent job of cleaning and preparing the room but, they would not get to the room until late afternoon. I guess with that many rooms and a limited staff some rooms would have to be cleaned late.
Pool area was nice; no umbrellas are available. I saw a couple of people bring there own beach umbrella; great idea. There is one area in front of the tiki bar that has shade. Unfortunately, “chair hogs” would put towels down and “reserve” the chairs. They have two pools, the second pool is only 4-foot deep so the water is very warm.
Valet parking is a problem. It takes too long to drop off and/or get your car. You’d be better off parking your car yourself. We did the valet parking on Saturday and Sunday but after that, we parked the car ourselves. Be careful; watch for the “double-dip” we cancelled the valet parking after Sunday but I noticed that they charged us both $8.56 (valet) and $5.35 (self) on the same day.
BOTTOM LINE: We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton however, we’ll stay elsewhere next time we visit Clearwater because of the shenanigans that the front desk pulled. For a better deal, check out the Sand Pearl right up the street.

Essex
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We stayed here in a newly refurbed room, which was lovely, great bed with plenty of space and the usual desk, tv and coffee making facilities (it was a deluxe balcony room) until the aircon unit caught your eye. Rusting, falling off the wall and leaking so much that house keeping were changing the towels placed under it frequently, it did still work but in a newly refurbed room it made you think it was more of a furnishings job than an overhaul. The bathroom was decorated to a good standard but it did not have a bath so if you like a bath ask for a room with one, it did have a portable make up mirror though.
The location of the hotel was superb, you could walk to many restuarants, bars and shops, we went to Frenchy's Bar and Grill on the beach and watched the sunset and Cooters where the service was less desirable - wrong food delivered, order forgotten when it did arrive and the waiter telling one member of the party what they had ordered when the rest of us sat there and new plainly it was a bad attempt to cover their already poor service !
Breakfast was the typical buffet or you could order off the menu, it was fresh and well presented and the waitiing staff were very attentive and friendly as well as the Chrissel on reception, she was very polite and easy to talk to and gave us a great map of the Clearwater area. The bar staff are a different story .. ignored at the bar, over looked for other guests to be served before you and no pleases or thank yous, a BIG disappointment !
The beach stretch in front of the hotel is perfect and the hire of beach chairs etc was quick and effiecient but it should be for $27 for two chairs and a brolly for the day. The girls in the sand buggy delivering drinks and food were great and was a nice touch. The sea is warm, calm and shallow.
The pool was busy and had no brolly's so if you like shade you are better to hire at the beach, but that could be there way of getting $$$ from you ?!?
I would not return, i would go and stay at the Sandpearl two blocks away for the same stunning location and within easy reach of all the restaurants etc. i would only recommend this hotel if you get a good deal and you don't expect 100% service.