“Old and Uncareing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Birmingham, AL
“Old and Uncareing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

I stayed at this Hilton from Sunday to Friday for a conference. This hotel is obviously not originally a Hilton, it is older and showing it. Two separate colleagues had broken AC when they checked in, this week was extremely hot and humid. My room was OK, lighting was very dim. My main complaint is that I got stuck in the elevator with 8 others for 15 min. I could understand this, but I later found out this same elevator broke down with people on board once a day for three straight days. They were nice enough to leave me a message with an apology on my room phone (big deal), Then when I checked out the big problem came up, I checked in with a conference rate, the clerk at check-in told me and showed me that I had that rate. I made the mistake to not check my bill until I returned home (late for the plane), they did not honor the conference rate and said I booked to late, I would understand that if the check-in clerk told me that at check-in and I had a choice not to accept. Location is all this hotel has, the area has many more newer hotels to choose from, choose them.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ray S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Serbian first
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed here for a week with my husband to celebrate our 5-year wedding anniversary. There is no arguing that the hotel's location and proximity to the beach, shops, and restaurants made for a great stay, but the hotel itself could stand some improvements.

The rooms have neutral decor, but it is worn, and the bathroom was tiny. I'm glad we only had two people staying in the room because I can't imagine how a family of four would get everyone ready and out the door in the space provided. We also had a problem with our shower not draining the first day we were here, but maintenance was at our door within 15 minutes to fix it.

Pros: always plenty of beach umbrellas and pool chairs available, amazing beach location, free Internet for Hilton Honors members (just sign up before your stay), food and drink service on the beach

Cons: prepare to pay extra for parking ($5 per day) and beach chairs/cabanas/umbrellas (26.75 per day), service is slow at the poolside bar, housekeeping didn't come every day, thin walls (we could hear the kids screaming next door - luckily they weren't in the room very often)

I would recommend a stay here, but be aware that you are clearly paying for the location and not a luxurious hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
CB/BigD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

I am an HH Diamond member and I found this property to be comfortable and as advertised. We visited off season and all ameneties were available and service was good. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2010
Nashville IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

We arrived to unwind on the beach for a day in-between stops, parking is a nightmare and you have to pay for it on top of your nightly rate. The room was ok, the view was ok, a side view of the ocean. Location was not bad, we walked to dinner and shops. The beach was incredible but yes like other reviewers said you have to pay extra for chairs, umbrellas, everything but towels. So be prepared that once you pay that nightly rate you will be paying $$$$ for anything and everything. The cocktails on the beach were wonderful but it's again very pricey!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

I stayed here last October for a wedding and I really enjoyed my stay. Granted - the drinks on the beach were expensive - but I still think about them on a regular basis. They dipped the rim of my Miami Vice in caramel and then coconut. It was awesome. The room was really clean and had a beautiful view of the beach (white sand, clear blue water! Such a treat for a Connecticut girl in October). The pool was nice - maybe a bit small for the amount of guests. I spent most of my time sitting on the beach anyway. I didn't park there so I can't say much about parking or transportation (we took a cab to and from the hotel), nor did I eat here so I can't speak to that either. However, I really enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Clearwater. I would go back, for their cocktails alone.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
leigh england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

have had a forced exile as this hotel had been dropped from virgins brochure but its back ,and we didnt need to think twice about booking. it was great to be back service outstanding as usual rooms are nicer than i remember location great two whinges prices for bar/dinning very steep but typical of hotels and parking hit and miss maybe they should stop charge parking for public when hotel is busy.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

We took our vacation here again in May2010 From Scotland UK .and can't say enough about this hotel ,realistically ,nothing to complain about infact we enjoyed the experiance so much we have booked to return on the last week in September 2010 I have read some of the other reviews, and if you try hard enough, fault can be found with anything.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family