“Excellent Location for Spring Training”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #61 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The hotel is in a great location. It's only a short walk to Bright House Field, Lenny's and a slew of other dining and shopping options. Aside from location, however, I was unimpressed during my 6-night stay The complimentary breakfast was unappealing enough that we ate elsewhere every morning. The rooms are small and look old (although the in-room fridge and microwave were nice). The televisions all have very bad reception. The pull-out couch had stained pillows and tattered sheets. Rating this hotel as a 3-star seems like a stretch.

Room Tip: The suites are small and the dividing wall between the bedroom and living room does not go the whole...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We drove to Clearwater to see the Phillies in Spring Training. This is a perfect hotel for that excursion. It is in walking distance to the field (maybe a half mile). You pass a pond on the walk that holds 2 alligators and some unusual birds. When I entered to get my room, the front desk was decorated with Phillies signs and I had to smile. There was a mix up in my reservations (good thing I printed out the confirmation slip!) and the hotel was full, but the friendly guy at the front desk called the manager immediately all the while saying it would be fine. It was. Since they were full, we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. I may never stay in a single room again! It was beautiful, comfortable, and had an enclosed balcony view of the pool. The sleep number beds were a little confusing, but I googled them and figured out how to set them. I loved the china mugs and glass glasses--so sick of paper cups. The pool and hot tub were sparkling and the pool area was a popular gathering place for Phillies fans. The breakfast was unbelievably good--scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with peppers, onions, and ham or sausage, pancakes and then all the regular stuff. Again--real china plates and real silverware! One day they had biscuits and sausage gravy--we had to explain how to eat them to the Phillies's fans! They allowed the seating at breakfast to go over to the restaurant, so there was always plenty of room. The location is so convenient we parked our car when we arrived and didn't move it until we left. You can not only walk to Brighthouse Field; you can also walk to many restaurants--Pete and Shorty's, 5 guys, Panda Express, Joe's Crab Shack, Carribes, Eat at Moe's, Panina Bread, etc. We also walked to Target to pick up some stuff we forgot. I would totally recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Pool side is great! Definitely recommend paying extra for the suites.
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My friend and I just got back from Clearwater for Phillies Spring Training and I would definitely go back to this hotel. The location was awesome: about a half mile walk from the stadium and across the street from the famous Lenny's. (Word is that Charlie Manuel eats there a lot; we did not see him.) We were also around the corner from a Super Target and a bunch of restaurants.

The hotel was decked out with Phillies signs, and we talked to quite a few people who shared our love for the Phillies.Our room was clean and we had a lot of fun playing with our Sleep Number beds. If you're a Phillies fan, it's definitely worth it!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is a nicely reconditioned hotel very near the Phillies Spring training site in Clearwater. The rooms were clean and plenty large. The beds are large and it has free internet. They have a nice pool, though we didn't use it but others were. The staff was friendly, helpful and cheerful. We had a small plumbing problem and they fixed it immediately. The breakfast was more than we expected. The hot portion gave you a choice. There is construction on the nearby highway which makes it a bit harder to find and GPS sent us the wrong way but we found it. They have a bar in the hotel that looked good. Restaurants abound nearby.

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor room.
Reviewed 10 March 2012

As we drove by, our 1st thought was , "Wow, what a nice looking hotel"! Then once inside, again, "this looks like a great place", but it's all down hill from there. We stayed on the first floor in a King Suite. The hallways smell like your standing in garbage can; It was so bad I had to hold breath to avoid throwing up. The free deluxe breakfast was disgusting and the variety of food was very poor; and we had wait in line behind the staff who were eating as they passed through.
I'm glad I got a chance to try a Sleep Number Bed; Now I know never to buy one. I had it set firm, my wife had it set soft; I felt like I was rolling down hill all night. We had a jacuzzi in the bathroom; It was broken. The TV's in both rooms had poor reception. We checked in late and there was no time to have these issues corrected. This hotel is crowded only because the Philadelphia Phillies spring training camp is across the street.

Room Tip: Stay Away; Holiday Inn Express is across street.
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed here because the place we stayed last year across the road doubled their price. The price was good here and it is close to the Phillies stadium with a lot of restaurants nearby. Our room was very nice with a very comfortable sleep-number bed. The room was clean and roomy with a refrig. & microwave. Nice desk and comfortable chair to use the computer. The pool area is great with a hot tub and children's pool. Good music was played on the speakers outside. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is not as convenient walking to the Phillies stadium as you have to cross a major highway so we chose to drove. Staying at the hotels across the street was a much easier walk. The fan in the bathroom was noisy and we had a little trouble with the tv remote but for the price you can't beat it. I was not overly impressed with the breakfast -- 2 types of scrambled eggs (no meat), pancakes, cereal, muffins, toast, juice and coffee. The only disappointment was the bar/restaurant. It looked very nice and we were planning to stop for a drink after dinner and meet other Phillies fans. However, after stopping for happy hour and finding out that the cost of a domestic beer is $5.00 and a glasss of wine is over $8.00, we elected not to come back. No wonder there was never anybody in there when we looked. It's a shame because the owner was very friendly and it could be a happening place since the hotel was full.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2012

King suite was in excellent shape, comfortable bed, nice layout. Convenient PCs around the corner from lobby. Easy parking.

Breakfast wasn't particularly appetizing; surprising for a Choice Hotel. Orange juice seemed to be tang, scrambled eggs were served in a large stainless steel container, so they were runny unless it was nearly empty, and some of the pancakes were tough (couldn't cut with the plastic knife)!

The exercise room had a recumbent bike, treadmill, a universal gym, and a TV. The treadmill (my first choice) and TV didn't work. Bike did; can't vouch for the u. gym.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple