“Very good mid range hotel”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #62 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
“Very good mid range hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

All my kids wanted to do on their visit to Florida was see Winter the dolphin at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, the star of the movie Dolphin Tale. I was vacationing on the ocean side of Florida and made a two day trip over to the gulf for the visit. Location was great, only 5 miles from CMA and 6 miles from beach, and a straight shot there. You just needed to learn the back way in and out of the hotel to avoid heavy traffic. Spring the extra 10 dollars or so for a suite, your room door is then inside a hallway unlike the regular rooms which have an old style motel entrance with room door going right outside. Breakfast was fine, nothing bad, nothing special, but remember it is included in your price, probably saved me 20 dollars. Carpet in my room was a little dated but another room in our traveling party had newer carpeting, room was big and spacious and had plenty of room, in room fridge, extra bar sink, two flat screens televisions. Would definitely stay here again, great value for the dollar. Remember it is not the Ritz but a very good mid range hotel.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Kansas City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Great hotel for the price, I looked for an affordable hotel that would be decent to stay in and the Clarion looked like the right fit.
The landscaping was great and the lobby is very nice, they have suites in the front of the hotel and regular rooms in the back that are open making it look like a motel, we didn't mind though since the they all look out to the pool and hot tub. The hot tub was not "hot" more like lukewarm.

There are no elevators in the back part of the hotel so we had to lug our baggage up to the second floor. We were good sports about it though.

They did a great job of cleaning our room except the cleaning person would wake us up very early in the morning trying to clean, after the second time we learned to put the "do not disturb" on our door.
Overall the stay was ok until time of checkout. We used one card for check in and checked out and payed with another card. When we got home we saw that they had charged us three separate times. I've been back and forth with my bank and the hotel trying to get this taken care of and they are very unaccommodating! This has been a nightmare and a horrible way to end my trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

columbia south carolina
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Location is great.Central to alot of activities.Good restaurants,Super Target,Lowes across the street.Main lobby looks nice.Makes you think ok...i made a good choice.The room was a little bit of a let down though.It was just ok.The down comforter is nice but very worn.The sleep number bed is a plus.The microwave and fridge is a plus.The old fashioned folding door closet was a lil hard to open and close.The bathroom was very spacious.The biggest i've seen in a hotel room.Our room was clean and stocked nicely each day.The breakfast buffet was the reason i chose this place but after our week long stay,i learned what time to come...either early or late in the am.It could get very crowded and no seating left.The buffet food was good.Eggs,pancakes,cereal and toast .I heard almost everyone asking where the bacon or sausage was...lol.it was a bit of a let down.There was no yogart,but a fruit tray with canned fruit.Coffee was not bad.A few days things ran out,one day almost all ran out,but the poor woman was working her butt off.
The pool area was nice,tropical but not quite as big as the pics make it look.But clean and well kept.All in all this hotel is good,but i think with a few small upgrades it could be awesome.

Room Tip: they do weekly rates here.you can save a ton of $ by requesting it and get a suite instead of a room...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Heidelberg, DEU
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Great location. Five miles from the beach, near Spring Training too. The Hotel has been renovated, rooms are clean and equipped with a microwave & small refrigerator. The breakfast buffet is alright (keep in mind that it is free) they offer cereal, pancakes and eggs. No bacon or sausage. The pool is great as is the staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
chicago
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed one night before checking in to our rented condo. We do travel with small dogs and booked 2 "double queen" non- smoking rooms several months in advance. When we checked in they had us down for 2 double bed rooms and 1 was smoking. The beds were very comfy but the carpet turned our socks black. There is a nice pool area and great
complimentary breakfast in the morning. I also asked for a late checkout but they knocked on the door to tell us it time to check out? Clarion, you need to read the "special insruction" part of you reservation form. I will stay again but will really push for the room I want and clean carpet.

Room Tip: Push for what you want and call the hotel to double check even if you book on Expedia etc.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank elle76
Portsmouth
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed during the Christmas break and arrived without reservations. I had researched rates before arriving so I knew what to expect. The front desk woman quoted me a price which I thought was high but then said she would give me a better deal. I took it for one night saying that we would consider moving the next day. The next morning they said they would honor the better rate for the remaining 4 days so I stayed. My credit card did not reflect the better rate for the 4 extra days???? The general manager said it was due to our dog which we had on the first night also. If you charge me for 1 night with a dog shouldn't the remaining days be the same??? The pool was very cold and could not be used and the hot tub was exactly that TOO HOT. Breakfast was ok and the rooms were ok but for the rate they charged I could have been much closer to the beach in a higher rated hotel. The gazebo area is very dark and I did not feel secure walking the dog back there late at night.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The hotel is in a great location. It's only a short walk to Bright House Field, Lenny's and a slew of other dining and shopping options. Aside from location, however, I was unimpressed during my 6-night stay The complimentary breakfast was unappealing enough that we ate elsewhere every morning. The rooms are small and look old (although the in-room fridge and microwave were nice). The televisions all have very bad reception. The pull-out couch had stained pillows and tattered sheets. Rating this hotel as a 3-star seems like a stretch.

Room Tip: The suites are small and the dividing wall between the bedroom and living room does not go the whole...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family