“This hotel is a cave”

Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater
Ranked #34 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
“This hotel is a cave”
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

I must start by saying that the staff is wonderful. Everyone is friendly, just as you'd expect a Marriott property to be. The breakfast is good, just like you'd expect a Residence Inn property to be. But sadly, the rooms are dark, dank, and the walls are thin. My three nights here felt like the "cheap" apartments I used to live in back in the day. We wanted so much to open the curtains and look at the great Florida weather, but because of the courtyard style of construction, if we did so there would be no privacy. We were woken up at 5:30 listening to the people above us walk around and drag their suitcase downstairs to check out.

As a point of note, we did not book our room here. We were "walked" here because our original hotel choice was overbooked. We travel a lot, and stay in a lot of Marriott properties, but were truly disappointed here. This property might be good for those travelers who don't spend time in the room, but if you enjoy having a bright and airy room, this is not the hotel for you.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
DeniseKauble, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Alan,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater! First, let me apologize for the negative impression and feeling you received of our hotel. We pride ourselves on ensuring every guest experiences a “perfect stay” and I am truly disappointed that this was not the experience you had. Our staff would have been happy to locate a more private room location either on the second floor or at the back of the property so you would have been able to open the curtains on the larger picture window or the sliding glass doors we have in the suites. We would never want you or any guest to be dissatisfied with our hotel and I assure you we would have made every effort to rectify this situation.
I am very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our wonderful breakfast and will be sure to share your great feedback with my staff about their service. I hope that you will consider returning in the future so that we can have a second chance at showing you what a great location we have.

Denise Kauble

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Here for the week,check in was a breeze,clerk Tim was great,very professional and accommodating. The 2bedroom we have is comfortable and large enough that we aren't in each others hair. Bedding is great,housekeeping excellent. The breakfast is bland though, minimal variety and no healthy choices like yogurt etc,they offer an evening reception like other RI's but the one here so far is shameful,tonights was canned chef boyardi ravioli,salad was decent though. Had a minor issue with AC,which upon notifying front desk was resolved. As all in all,I'd say this is a nice place,kids love pool,they have a welcoming outdoor pool area with fire pit and shower,unfortunately they seemed to have done away with their hot tub and filled its shell with stones,which doesn't look too bad but ...they also have pretty grounds for a small RI'nice courts etc.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
DeniseKauble, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to share your experience at the Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater! I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying our spacious rooms and housekeeping services and I can’t wait to share your kind words with Tim!
I do apologize about your dissatisfaction with our breakfast and social services. We do our best to ensure we have a wide variety of healthy choices for our guests, including fat free yogurts, parfaits, boiled eggs and fruit. I assure you I will look into why these items may have been missing from the buffet at any time this week. Additionally, our evening social varies and does have some light offerings on certain nights and larger offerings on other nights. The nightly options do occasionally include ravioli and salad, however, we also offer items such as BBQ pork or ribs, hamburgers and hot dogs, our Southwestern Chicken Salad Bar, Antipasto, and a variety of other dishes. I hope you are able to enjoy some of these other options throughout your stay.
I am glad you and your family are enjoying all of our wonderful outdoor amenities. It’s nice to have so many activity options in one place and we hope you are also able to enjoy the local area while you’re here. If I can be of any further service during your stay, please feel free to contact me directly.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This hotel was clean and spacious and had a friendly staff. We were there for a wedding, and it was great to be able to spend time at breakfast meeting new family members. It was in very good condition.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
DeniseKauble, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to hear to you were pleased with your stay. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I recently spend 4 nights at The Residence Inn. We stayed in a 2 bedroom second floor room. The kitchen was outfitted perfectly. The staff was outstanding and accommodating. The only thing negative was not the fault of the hotel. I am not sure of its proximity to a police station or hospital but every night the sirens were wailing!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn St.Petersburg Clearwater! I am pleased to here that you enjoyed our spacious suites. I am truly sorry to hear about the noise you encountered. If you do return in the future and experience the inconvenience of noise, we do offer earplugs, headphones and alarm clocks that provide sleep sounds to help you get a peaceful night sleep. Our goal is for every guest to have a perfect stay and we hope to see you again!

wilmington, nc
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The Residence Inn was very well furnished and designed. It had a nice kitchen, living room, 2 double beds, and a well appointed bathroom. The pool was nice and they had an evening fire pit. There is also a sports/basketball/volleyball court beside the pool. Each morning there is a free buffet breakfast, and Monday through Thursday night they have simple food fare, such as tacos or soup along with wine, beer, and tea. My wife and I were there six nights and found everything exceptional, including the staff of Jeff, Tim, and Elizabeth, who were most helpful and friendly. It's close to everything around Clearwater/St. Pete, as well as a short ride across the bay to Tampa. Lot's to do and see there.

Room Tip: We were in room 911 and found it to be very quiet and nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kagnew
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn St.Petersburg Clearwater! It is great to hear that you were happy with our spacious suites, location and all the amenities we have to offer. I am also excited to pass on your compliments to our outstanding Front Desk team and we all look forward to seeing you again in the future.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Wonderful visit . Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. Lovely place. Bedroom #1 French doors king room N-I-C-E!!!! Bedroom #2 Loft equally nice! Full kitchen. I would like to have that kitchen at home. Marble counter top. Full refrigerator and dishwasher. 2 full baths. Breakfast was great. Stayed on weekend so breakfast only but Monday-Thrusday they serve a dinner. Staff were eager to please every request.

Room Tip: Dog Friendly.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! I am so happy to hear what an enjoyable stay you had and that you were pleased with our updated, spacious suites. We hope to see you again in the future!

Carmel, Indiana, USA
Reviewed 15 February 2013

At the last minute, we needed a reservation & knowing the good quality of Residence Inns, did not hesitate to book here. We were not disappointed. The room we had was beautiful, had a fireplace, very comfortable bed & full kitchen. Very roomy & had everything we needed although there were a few knats I kept swatting at. The check-in staff was very friendly & even though our room wasn't ready when we arrived, we left for about 30 minutes, returned & we were good to check-in. The staff was very pleasant throughout out stay & recommended a restaurant to us. The location was a bit out of the way from where I needed to be & since I am not from the area, when I was making my reservation & asked about how close they were to a certain location, that would have been the perfect time for them to tell me they had another location almost right on top of where I needed to be. As it was, this particular location was about a 20 minute drive away. There was major construction going on with I-9 north & south that made travel to/from very challenging.

Room Tip: Room 1022 was very nice & in a quiet area
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DDDFJD
DeniseKauble, General Manager at Residence Inn St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with our spacious suites, as well as our many amenities. We hope to see you again in the future!