We stayed for 2 nights on a break from Orlando.
This is one of the dying breed of family run motels. This means the service you receive is personal and swift; it also means less money available for refurbishment.
We had a room with a kitchen on the ground floor, overlooking the marina. Outside the door were a table and various loungers and chairs. It really was a relaxing view.
As has been mentioned, the rooms are a little dated but by no means shabby, and they were exceptionally clean. I also noticed the guy who takes care of maintenance was always busy - daily pool clean, paths, watering, and even daily cleaning of the pool/patio furniture.
The location, whilst set back from the beach (you have to cross the road) is good - we saw several dolphins in the bay. A little noise periodically from the boats, but less than expected from the road.
Very friendly staff - this would be a good place for a family. Nothing seemed too much trouble, no place to eat but morning coffee and juice was fine.
The pool is not large, but crystal clear and warm in September. The hot tub was a good size - note the control you need to use on the wall to get the bubbles going!
Over the bay, a 5 minute walk, was Crabby Bills and we had a good meal there at reasonable cost. We also tried Frenchies Rockaway grill a bit further away but did not enjoy it this time; it seems to have slipped a bit.
You are pretty much over the road from Pier 60; again a 5 minute walk.
This property was pretty much as I expected, seeing the reviews. It is not 5 star, or 4 star but it's comfortable, friendly, clean, in a great location, decent value for money and has some good views. It's a no-frills yet honest type of place which is difficult to really describe. We'd certainly stay there again if that helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Official Resort Partner of Clearwater Marine Aquarium and Winter the Dolphin! Small resort located on the bay overlooking the harbor and Clearwater Marina, the Sea Captain Resort is only 100 yards from the Gulf of Mexico public beaches, Pier 60, and in walking distance to shopping and restaurants. Resort features boat slips, fishing dock, grills, heated pool, hot tub, bicycles, shuffleboard, and free wi-fi. One-bedroom suites, efficiencies, and motel rooms available, with complimentary continental breakfast on the weekends; coffee and fresh Florida orange juice daily. One of Winter the Dolphin's favorite places to stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Sea Captain Resort on the Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea Captain Resort On The Bay Hotel Clearwater
- Sea Captain Clearwater
- Sea Captain Resort On The Bay Clearwater, Florida