“Another great vacation at Sea Captain Resort”

Sea Captain Resort on the Bay
Ranked #40 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This place is awesome. We have stayed here several years and absolutely love it. The hotel is an older place but it is very well maintained with a great staff. The service you get is excellent and they go above and beyond to make your stay a great one. The rooms are very clean, pool is very clean and the grounds are well maintained and beautiful. Our maids Esther and Donna always do a great job and are very friendly and accommodating. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful as well. What else can we say but location, location, location. We highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tom W
SeaCaptainResort, General Manager at Sea Captain Resort on the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you guys, we, the crew here at The Sea captain , love this place also!!!! If I were asked to describe it , I would say it is a cross between, home and summer camp !! lol lol See you when you return!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

this year my son chose the sea captain resort by the bay. what an awesome choice he made for us for a 1st time stay. we had room 26 on the 1st floor corner room by the back parking lot. our room was excellent by far. our housekeeper's name was Inez and she was just so awesome. she let my son sleep in real late each day without knocking on the door tho we put the privacy tag out each night before we settled in for the night. the room was sparkling clean anything we needed just asked and she brought to us. plenty of towels and shampoo for the both of us and lotions for after the beach. the office manager Laura came to our room one morning and asked if everything was ok with the room. how often do you hear of the mgr going to each and everyone room to check in on their guests. I have never seen that before. she showed caring to all her guests. when I went into the front office each morning for coffee you were greeted with a hello and smile . the beach towels were in the front office so you had to sign out for them and sign back in so you are not charged for the towel you take. I had an incident with breaking my toe on a jet skiing accident and another housekeeper- and I never got her name -saw me soaking in a small bucket of ice -& brought me a big bucket and she filled it with ice so I could tend to preventing the foot from swelling. she was just another one of the best of the housekeepers who have concern for their guests. she also shared with the 2 of us that if you are not renting a vehicle as we had not done so- that they have Florida Free Ride vans that you can call and they will come to the resort pick you up and take you wherever you want to go. all you do is tip the driver. with that in mind I used them a few times thru the course of the vacation to go to sand keys for dinner and to another restaurant about a mile or so down thru the main strip and a few other places in town for dinner. the pool is very clean. they have 2 outdoor showers-one by room 1 at the front of the entrance and 1 at poolside. All in all it was an awesome vacation at seacaptains resort . as for the internet- I found with my iphone that the internet would switch between the resort wifi to the city marina wifi when I was sitting outside. I never had an issue of not getting on either wifi. just not sure why it switches between the 2 from inside the room to sitting outside the room. I loved the pool as I used it several times for swimming and sitting out in the sun. they have shuffleboard outside the pool area and outside grills for those who would like to cook out. I was told by the mgr to get your charcoal and lighter fuel for them. but check with the mgr first as she said some guests leave them behind. they also have 3 bikes that can be taken out for use. I also found they have a clothesline past the laundry room which is great to hang up the wet swim suits. worked great for me. I cant find one complaint to put on about this place because you will find it just totally awesome as I did. we had 2 chairs and a table to sit out in front of our room each day/ night. each room has them. I give this place 5 stars. I cant wait to come back again next summer. and I hope it stays the same for at least the next few yrs before the Pier 60 takes over..there are so many rumors about this so I will say - just wait and see..Thankyou to the mgr Laura and her staff for a wonderful stay at the seacaptain resort on the bay.

Room Tip: Room 26 is a corner room. very quiet. close to the main office
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mittens82755

Thank you , Thank you , Thank you, we cant wait until you and your son return , truly a delight to have you stay with us, You are now "family"! See ya soon

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just completed a one week stay at the Sea Captain Resort. We actually held a family reunion there and once again had an Awesome, Awesome experience. The location is perfect right on the main strip, across the beach, pier and marina. The hotel has its own fishing pier, BBQ's for your use and of course a pool. The view is spectacular and you can just sit back, dolphin watch or wave to the boats as they go by on the intracoastal. The rooms are clean, comfortable and the staff is friendly, accomodating and professional. This is a perfect place for family or friends to gather. It is also a perfect location for a quiet getaway/escape. Thank you SeaCaptain staff for a wonderful time and a special thank you to Laura for assisting us with all the reservations for our amazing Family reunion, see you next year!!!

Room Tip: If you do not like stairs ask for a room on the first floor. The suites have full kitchens.
2  Thank Robert S

You Guys were great! With guests like you, we love our jobs even more lol Thanks for the comments, see ya soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel itself was very nice - exceptionally clean, the location was perfect, the staff were really friendly and helpful. There were lots of small amenities that showed a lot of thought on the part of the management - laundry services available, a clothesline in the back for drying wet suits and towels, chairs overlooking the bay. The room itself was fairly large, we had two double beds and a pullout couch. It was very convenient to have the kitchenette, which came equipped with a small amount of plates, silverware, pots and pans. The only reason I give this hotel less than five stars is because of the noise level. There seemed to be several large family groups staying here during our stay and they used the common area with tables and chairs to party outside long into the night. As the office closes at 10pm there was no way to make a noise complaint and my asking the people to please keep it down was ignored. There were also groups of people drinking beer and smoking in the pool during the day, which wasn't a wonderful atmosphere for families with small children. So I'd give the hotel staff and management a big thumbs up, not so much for some of the clientele.

Room Tip: stay away from the pool area if you want to avoid lots of noise at night.
2  Thank LizCNJ
SeaCaptainResort, General Manager at Sea Captain Resort on the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you so much for your comment. I am personally sorry your stay was less than perfect. Yes our office is closed at 10;00 pm ,but please feel free to call me personally , for my # is on the door for any after hours issues that might arise, or notify security as they patrol during the rest of the evening. Again thank you for your comments, it is our desire to create a fun and safe environment for all out guests.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was a first and will not be the last stay at Sea Captain. The rumors are true, the Sea Captain has been sold and owned by Pier House 6. There is uncertainty on how it will shape up in years to come when it is rebuilt. I hope they do not rebuild this hotel and block the views from the balconies of their neighbor, Pier House 60. That would be a shame and I'd think Pier House 60 was not built to have those balconies views blocked out years later due to a new Sea Captain Resort. It will be interesting to see how it shapes out. I wish it would remain as is. Small hotel and it feels like "home".

I would recommend a room facing the marina / pool. Stayed in Room 26 and I highly recommend that room. It's on a corner, ground level, next to the driveway, facing the pool and marina. Common area with hotel-provided chairs and table outside was sufficient, didn't need a "balcony" at another hotel. Room 26 is a motel style room with 2 beds, dresser for storage, flat screen tv, microwave and a mid size refrigerator. Plenty of room for drinks and small foods.

Linen was perfectly cleaned, so were the bathroom towels, wash cloths, sink, tub, and such. I search everything every day for dirtiness / stains / etc which i'm picky about and could not find anything wrong at Sea Captains. I was impresssssssssed!

Check in and Check out was quick and efficient, both by a gentleman who I forgot the name. Very pleasant man and willing to help with anything you need. Donna was extremely helpful and I loved the recommendation to Gondolier at the other end of clearwater beach for dinner one night. Great Good! Reviewed them as well on here. Innis was the housekeeper and she was awesome. Works very hard and is very helpful. One of the rarities in housekeeping in hotels to find such a hardworking pleasant person.

Parking is no charge but did not utilize the parking during my stay as I did not need a vehicle. Came in from TPA and departed for TPA via Blu Moon Luxury car service in Tampa which I highly recommend if anyone needs a way to and from Sea Captain. Watch out for shady taxi's everywhere, I've heard horror stories all week about taxi's which is why I dont use them.

I utilized FLORIDA FREE RIDES a few times up and down Clearwater Beach and Sand Key which runs every day from 9am until 3am, Sea Captain has their business cards for guests to call for a ride anywhere in clearwater beach, via a buggy golft cart or vans. Free of charge for their service. Never use a taxi again if you're needing a way of getting around. Save that per mile fee.

Pool is 8FT deep. Small jacuzzi which is very warm. Mostly kids all week used the pool that were staying at Sea Captain which I didnt care to use anyway. Pool towels are available to be signed out. They prefer you not to take the towels to the beach. So bring a beach towel or two from home!

Bedding is turned over every day except Sundays. Sundays, Sea Captain only changes out the towels. Breakfast is juice and coffee / fruits and small danishes. I opted for JB's Cafe and Shanty Cafe down the road for breakfast daily and both are GREAT! Office closes every day at 10pm. Lock out service of your room is $25 so do not lose your room keys.

INTERNET INTERNET - Internet connection is unstable and can be annoying to mess with all week. It goes offline quite a bite and comes back on randomly. It could be due to location. Not sure. I just dealt with it daily. Secured connection with password, no fee for it. No business center or computer to print anything. IF YOU NEED SOMETHING PRINTED, ASK THE STAFF. They will be of help!!!!!!!! If you need plane boarding passes printed, THEY WILL PRINT THEM from their computer, just guide them to the proper destination to print them. If you need something else printed, you can guide them to the website or I'm sure email them a document and they will print it! All the staff at Sea Captains work hard to make your stay a memorable one.

Overall, will be staying here again without question. I stayed at Pier House 60 August 2013 and both of these hotels are top notch, fair rates, and great staff. One huge bonus is location. Location Location Location! In the heart of Clearwater Beach across from Pier 60 where all the evening festivities take place daily. Beach Access is a simple walk across the street. There is a little convenience store next door to the hotel, Walgreens is around the corner. As well as all the other shops and eateries. What more could anyone ask for?

Room Tip: Room facing the pool and marina. Room 26 is great for that, and it's next to the driveway, can...
3  Thank RoadRabbitTC

You are a fantastic writer lol Thank you for ALL the comments for us. We take each and everyone to heart. Let me help clear some of the misinformation out there. Decades Properties is the purchasing company. They own several fine hotels on the beach as well as restaurants etc. Pier House 60 happens to be one of them. Like any large "family" no two children are alike!! As is with Decades Properties. Each property is unique! They offer something for everyone!! They are encouraging us to go on "doing Business" as usual. YEAH!!! Thank you again, se you soon!!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have stayed at this resort numerous times over the years. The staff is always super friendly(especially Donna) and we are always well taken care of. The place is super clean and in a perfect location. This is a secluded little Resort and rumour has it there are new owners.

We are hoping they keep things exactly as they are as this is one of the best kept secrets of clearwater beach. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lenny V

SSSHHH !! lol Yes we are a best kept secret, and our gusts for over 61 years love it that way! Thank you for being a new member of our family, here at The sea Captain! Go Donna!!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Sea Captain is a great small hotel to stay at in Clearwater Beach! Just across from the gulf beaches, within walking distance of everything on the beach, friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms, uncrowded, and reasonably priced. What more could you ask for?

Get one of the rooms over-looking the marina. Just be aware that the hotel is right by the commerical tour and party ships that go in and out. So there will be some noise until around 9 or 10 pm. But it's not bad.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms over-looking the marina. Just be aware that the hotel is right by the commeric...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottKfromDallas

Thank you for your location tip to our future guests! Our Harbor side rooms are the most sought after for just that reason, ships goin in and out. lol We will have the perfect room location for you when you return. Thank you again for your comments!