“Clearwater getaway”

Ranked #58 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Wyandotte, Michigan
“Clearwater getaway”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just wanted to take a little time for ourselves, to be close to the beach and watch the sun set over the palm trees. We choose the Magnuson, because it was perfectly located across from the beach. Our room was large and clean. The pool was clean, the people were friendly. Raymond told us to visit "Crabby's" down the street for a good place to eat. He was right, we sat up stairs overlooking the beach and palm trees, as the sun set each night. We truly had a relaxing four nights. We sunned, walked the beach, and watched the sun set every night. We only had to open our door and walk across the street. I would definitely come back and stay at the Magnuson hotel again and again. Clearwater and Raymond are the best.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Fl
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Wanted to reward kids with completing their school year with a surprise weekend trip out to Clearwater. Found this hotel through booking.com. Plenty of space for all 5 us (two beds, one pull out). We usually stay at Coconut Cove but rate entices us to try this spot.

Great: balcony looking out onto beach, walking distance to (the pier 60 activities, ice cream shop downstairs, FlowRider@SurfStyle); beach access across the street
Good: check in was quick, representatives were friendly, pool is no frills but clean and big enough that 10 families were in it at the time we jumped in and it wasn't cramped
Ok: room was a little worn, paint peeling from door, carpet was travelled (but durable for beach visitors)
Slight downgrade: a few fruit flies observed, to turn on shower took some additional torque and pressure-nonetheless water pressure was good.
Only regret: walls a little thin, especially our room near the stairwell so we heard a few interesting drunken exchanges.

BIG WARNING: After checking in, I was told to put the parking pass visible from the rear view mirror immediately as the lot is constantly scanned by the tow company. I did not heed the advice and brought all my luggage/family in first. No exaggeration, 6-8 minutes I returned to get last of luggage and hang my tag and the tow company was in process of hooking up our minivan. I showed my tag and they immediately stopped (which I don't think they had to do and appreciated that the trio did not start out on a sour note).

Hang your tag first!

All in all not a bad economical stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nuonli
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Went here for a family reunion, and decided I wanted to stay near the beach by myself. The hotel was nice, but we got to the room (mind you there was no elevator to get to our room), there were clothes in the room from people already staying there. Staff apologized and they cleaned the room. The next night, the shower would not stop dripping and their breakfast was cold cereal and packaged danish. I will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: get a room that faces the beach, and has an elevator
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cliff B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What a wonderful hotel. Doesnt look too great from the outside but the rooms were way bigger than expected, spacious and comfortable. They were always made up immaculately. The pool was average but didnt mind as the hotel was just across the road from the beach. Had chairs so you could sit outside the room and watch pool/beach. Would definatley stay here again for the price i paid

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

1 Thank AnonyP
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The only thing good about this hotel is the location from the beach. We arrived here at the hotel, the handle was broke on the door, the sofa bed was broke we weren't going to complain because things happen but the second to last night we found a cockroach. The next morning we decided to check out a day early and they wouldn't refund us our money. The only thing we wanted was for the final night refunded. Was this too much to ask........

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank apache831

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

west milford, nj
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We visited the Magnuson from 6/28-7/1/2014. This hotel wasn't a Hyatt or Hilton but it had great beach access and a friendly enough staff. The pool is decent and clean and the family suite was perfectly sized for my family's needs. Although the whole hotel could use a face lift (our shower needed the strength or 2 men to turn the water on), it was cheap and convenient. I wouldn't stay again just because I would rather spend a little more for a nicer room BUT I don't regret staying here.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank dmm407
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I'm not very impressed with my stay here.
First i'll start by listing the negative things about this place and then the positive.
The door knob continues to fall off. Housekeeping isn't very friendly and gave us damp towels. No blankets or sheets were provided for the pull out sofa bed, which broke when we pulled it out. I immediately tried to close it because it was absolutely disgusting inside. I mean down right gross. The carpet is very old and nasty as well. They put an extra hold on my debit card which the desk clerk couldn't even see on her computer. I would not have known this if I didn't have online banking. It was an extra $250, money that I needed for my vacation. I talked to the manager and he said they didn't do that but it clearly reflected on my online bank statement. There was also no balcony, which is a plus to me when you're staying at the beach. The linens were very out of date and hideous. The tv was very small and only one in the one room. No AC in the room where the pull out sofa was either.
Now for the positives. The location can't be beat. It's excellent. There's plenty of room. The beds were clean and somewhat comfortable. The bathroom and kitchenette were both clean.
The price for this location was very reasonable.
This place wouldn't be bad if they would just do some upgrades like the bedding and sofa bed.
The pool was very nice and clean too. The air conditioner worked very well.
It was a very quiet, peaceful place.

Room Tip: I don't recommend the rooms on the main street side, the side away from the beach. The street n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family