“Don't get me started...”

GulfView Hotel - On The Beach
Ranked #71 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 28 January 2013

If you just don't care at all about where you stay, this is your place. One, really small elevator that means you ride with the maids and big bins full of other people's dirty laundry. The band next door plays so loud that the windows rattle. When I asked to be moved to the other side of the hotel, the manager tried to get me to pay $96.00 over and above what I had already paid online. The free breakfast is no more than some packages of powdered donuts and snack cakes like you would buy at the 7-11. Not a good choice if you have any standards at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DrDolg

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We had a great time we could walk to pier 60 and not have to move the car. Shepphards next door did play until 230am however if we had not been in the fourth floor facing them I don't think we would have heard it. Door shut you couldn't hear it after eleven. Disappointed that the hot tub closed at ten but happy with our stay. Never thought we could get a room looking on the beach for this cheap!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Smyles8606
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We were excited to get a beachfront room for this price, but this hotel needs some soundproofing if you are not out partying all night. Sitting by the pool during the afternoon we had two hotels having live music playing on their patios on the beach. The music may have been good but not listening to both at the same time. Then in the evening - had to turn the TV volume up extremely high just to block out the band playing two buildings down the beach. Glad to have some ear plugs to try to get to sleep around 11 pm.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barb D
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one week while attending a conference in Tampa, yeah, long drive, but thought the beach was worth it.
Location is good, right on the water, very small rocky beach, Shephards hotel next door takes half of the beach with their chairs and umbrellas.
They say that first impressions are the ones that last...very true. The guy at the registration desk, Jeff, was very unfriendly, I was read a list of rules and regulations that I thought I was checking in into a rehab facility instead of a beach resort.
The room size was OK although the layout was weird. Nice ocean view, cleanliness not so good. Dated furniture, mattresses OK. If you are planning on turning in early, this is not the place to stay, Shephards hotel next door has a club that plays loud music every night past 12 midnight, 2 am on weekends.
The property is not kept very clean, if you take the back stairs to go to the pool, the musty smell of the dirty, sandy carpet knocks you out. Don't know why but every door is locked, so if you are lounging by the pool and want to go take a dip in the ocean, you have to take the room key with you because if you don't you will be locked out. Another drawback, one ice machine for the whole hotel, and its located on the first floor.
Will I stay at this hote again? Will I recommend to others? Absolutely no to both.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MikeWoodside
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We loved this place it was right on the water and was wonderful. We were a little scared after reading the reviews but we had a balcony that overlooked the gulf. We rented chairs and an umbrella for 20 dollars forthe whole day from next door and spend the day relaxing. It could use a little updating but how much time do you spend in the room. We just spend 2 nights before our cruise. We come to clearwater quite often and usually stay in condo's but if we ever just need a night or 2 we will be back

Room Tip: We stayed in room 254 it was a little loud because of the band next door but we like music
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grandmadebbie
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My plans were to spend three nights here and after I arrived I decided to stay for just one night. The hotels a bit outdated with low ceilings and a very old elevator. Upon checking in, the young kid at the front desk didn't even get out of his chair. He just sat there while I handed him my info. The elevator is slow and very small. My room was on the top floor (five floors) and was actually very roomy and had a balcony and a big picture window. Nice flat screen tv, chairs for the balcony and cold a/c. Free wifi but It was useless as I couldn't connect. The bathroom was decent but when I went to take a shower later that night I noticed there wasn't any shower curtain. I ended up taking a shower anyway and mopped up the water on the floor with the bath towers afterwards.The hotels free continental breakfast consisted of pre-packaged muffins and coffee and ends at 9am.
Overall the room was fine but this place didn't have the right "vibe" for me to stay any longer then one night. Maybe it's because I prefer the mom and pop places in the area instead. The next time I'm in the area I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Aerowing
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Was really hesitate on staying here after reading the reviews. Well, the reviews were wrong. A much needed vacation was topped off with a perfect stay. Very clean, hospitable hotel. Will go back in a heartbeat. The view was "over the top". The ONLY thing I have to say is out front of the hotel, there is an area where there is alot of rock. It would not take much for someone to clean that 15ft. space so that the guests could walk there without killing their feet! OH and also, there are more wires needed above the pool to keep the "birds" away. Just don't eat out there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family