“Roaches”

Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Toledo, Ohio
“Roaches”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Originally booked to stay 4 nights week of April 21-25. Checked in around 4 on the 21st and checked out before Midnight. Saw several roaches in the room and even had one fall on me while laying in bed. After the roach in bed incident I had to wake my pregnant wife and walk down to the Holiday Inn to find a clean place to stay, after going through suitcase and shaking out clothes on the street. Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else, the Holiday Inn a half block down is very nice.

Also, they still charged me 150 bucks for the room for that night. Everyone I have talked to about getting a refund said they have no authority to grant one, shady establishment.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nyitrai13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2014

nasty hotel dirity carpet stinks walls dirty fridge broken room service bad angey housekeppers on the 2 and 3rd floor and 5th floor and they dont known english i came in my room and housekepper cleaning the bathromm then uses the same to clean my table with coffee markers stink me and my family was on the 2nd ,3rd,5th floor and will never stay there ever again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sandraboskovic

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Albany, New York
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I Dirty, old econo lodge, disgusting dirty smelly carpeting, obviously hasn't been updated in atleast 50 years since it was built and opened as Econo Lodge. Next door to Shepards Party Resort. Music blasting from 2:00 I'm afternoon unti 2:00 am ever morning. Impossible to sleep. did not choose this place. Someone else did not knowing how old, outdated, dirty and extremely loud music from Shepards right next door was. Would never stay there again or recommend this old outdated hotel again. Carpeting is sooo dirty, stinks and is disgusting.

• Stayed March 2014
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed for two days. The best part about it was being next to Shephard's if you like that sort of scene at least. Otherwise music blares from there until about 2AM which sucks if you really need a good nights sleep, which we did since we had to be up at 530AM the next day for Iron Girl. Anyways, parking is horrible there, one of the workers said they have 60 parking spots for 64 rooms. That's not only enough to have a guest but not even enough for one spot per room! Crazy! Our room was definitely outdated and had a smell to it. The beach is a small strip of sand with hardly any room for a comfortable spot to lay out without being on top of another guest's spot. Had free coffee and sugary breakfast foods in the morning from 6AM-9AM. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lindsay M
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed 7 days at this hotel and I have a list of pros and cons; a couple pros: The views are amazing; we had a room listed as a 'city view' and we still had an excellent view of the gulf and beach, with amazing palm trees. There is a private beach which as a lot of 'resort' qualities; in fact the 'resort' hotel next door had lots of amenities like chairs with umbrellas and kayak rentals and they allowed us to use as a guest. The pool is small and the deck overlooking the ocean was fantastic; a great way to relax. Most things are within walking distance so we hardly ever used our car while we were there. 'Most' of the staff were very friendly; 'Robert' was very helpful and always accommodating. I didn't catch the names of the other two gentlemen we dealt with but both were very friendly. They do have a female manager that did not seem so friendly but perhaps she was having a rough day...I cannot imagine the entire staff being this upset all the time after dealing with the friendly people we did. The Cons: The parking spots are super close, and super small. If you bring a large vehicle do not expect to be able to leave without a ding in your door. Also, do not expect the Ritz; this 'hotel' is small, old, and used but with this said, if you shop around, you are getting a great deal for the location. The beds are hard as rocks, the maid service is not so great. In fact the maids seem grumpy most of the time so we tried to say good morning to them and they always seemed very upset. There is a maintenance man who was very friendly and always helpful. If you decide to sleep in you miss your maid service; they do not return. But what more could you ask for? We had a great time and will probably return to this hotel again. I also suggest you double check your credit card receipt; I was overcharged but was refunded once I called. Hope this helps! I stalked review sites for weeks before booking!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a 'city view' room on the other side; if not you will get a room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah L
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We weren't expecting anything spectacular when we booked this room, but I did expect to have maid service every day like most hotels do. We had no toilet paper, no fresh towels, trash wasn't emptied, and needed more pillows. At least one person was in the room all day long. No one stopped by. I called the front desk, and the gentleman stated that all the maids had gone home for the day. (3pm) I told him the list of things I needed, and he said, "you can come down and get the things at the front desk." I said please tell me why our room was missed, and he stated the housekeeper wrote that we had our privacy sign on the door which was untrue. Ok I can see a lazy housekeeper writing that on the paperwork just to go home early, but when he said I needed to come get the stuff myself, I thought, I'm never staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Meredith B
GM625, General Manager at GulfView Hotel - On The Beach, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Staffing at our hotel requires that all rooms are completed by 2:45pm, after which all housekeepers have completed their work day. A 3 pm leave time is not just common, but expected. Apparently your room was not serviced this day and I apologize for the inconvenience, however, there must of been a misunderstanding since the documentation showed " Do Not Disturb". Front desk can offer items to replenish amenities, however, as the only agent on staff after 5pm, a full service simply cannot be accomplished.
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Trashy,
that was my first impression. when we first got to our room the first thing we noticed is it smelt like a combination of wet dog and a dirty ashtray. told the "lady" at the desk. and she said sorry......
Ok... can we get a different room??? NOPE....
Then I missed placed my parking tag for my car... and she basically talked to me like I was a two year old boy. informing me not to blame her when my car gets towed...
The general up keep:
LAWSUIT WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!
Loose outlets, broken patio bricks, broken patio furniture, outdated and none compliant smoke detectors ... doubt they even work,
And the cost for this DUMP!!!??? 150.00 a night.

Room Tip: My added tip???? Just don't stay here. unless its free.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple