“Nothing fancy”

Ranked #73 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Orlando, Florida
“Nothing fancy”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I agree with what other reviewers have written. Staff is helpful and friendly. The Shephards Resort next door has music playing loudly at all hours. If you are a light sleeper, don't stay here.
The beach area is small. There are no chairs on the beach either.
If you want to stay directly on the beach and save a few bucks, this may work. I am not sure this is a great value. If you are hoping to impress anybody, do NOT book this place. It is in need of some love and attention to make it visually appealing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hellokitty911

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I decided to take my 3 kids to experience the florida beach for 5 days and do so without spending a ton of money. I spent hours on end reading reviews, checking out hotels, motels and vacation rentals before deciding on the Gulfview Hotel. I chose this hotel based on its price, its location right on the beach, and trip advisor travelers reviews. So here is my review. Hopefully it helps you.

The hotel:
Good: it is right on the beach. This was perfect for my family. We had a gulf view room which made for a GORGEOUS view.

Every morning between 6-9:30 in the lobby, there is complimentary coffee and packaged little debbi snacks.

The Bad: if we had not paid a little extra for the gulf view room, this would have made me feel like I paid way too much for way too little, which even with the gulf biew room, I still somewhat feel I laid too much. There are no frills at this hotel. There isnt a gift shop or a little mini store downstairs if you forgot something or need something. There is no room service. There is no option to rent movies on the occasion it storms all day as it did for one of our days. HOWEVER, because I was on a budget vacation and staying in a gulf view room that allowed for hours of entertainment just starring our the window at the ocean dolphin watching, I found these missing frills to be somewhat welcomed. I stuck to my budget by having no option to break it. There is a pop machine on the main floor. But it tries to charge $1 for what we referred to as a 'barbie sized bottle of water'. Instead, we ran across the street to the gas station on the first day. Then by day 3 had wised up to the mini mart walgreens at the round-about. There is also a stove, microwave, dishes and utensils and mini refrigerator in the rooms, which we utilized with a cooler of food we brought to the island with us upon arrival.

The hotel overall is run down and is desperate for some TLC! It has such great potential but we got the feeling that the owners must not care all that much.

The Room:
Good: the view and the balcony.

Bad: if I didnt have a gulf view I would have been terribly upset. The room was falling apart around us. The molding came off the wall during our stay, the dresser was hard to open and falling apart. The fan in the bathroom was on its last breath. The light in the bathroom wouldnt turn on unless we hit it. The lights in the room would turn themselves on and flicker. It was like a non threatening, extremely annoying haunted hotel room or practical joke or both. I actually had read about some of these same issues in some travelers reviews but thought that would be in someone else's room and my room would be perfect. not so. Because of the previous reviews of the rooms problems, i feel as if the hotel is aware and have no interest in fixing them. If that is the case, this Hotel should be charging only half of what they are currently charging.

The pool & hot tub:
Good: there is a nice view from the deck.

Bad: the pool was not maintained well. The ledges, steps and walls were a bit slimy to the touch as there was obvious algae growing on ledge, walls, bottom and around lights.

The Beach:
Good: thw beach was wonderful. It is private and small and lovely for families. The water is way more calm that at the main clearwater beach. There are far fewer people and the beach is beautiful!!

Bad: there are chairs and umbrellas at the hotel sharing the beach but to use them one must pay $30. That's more than the main beach charges.

Overall: I would not stay here again. This hotel better fits college kids that are out to have a good time only needing a place to sleep. Not such a great family hotel, aside from the beach...however, nearly all the hotels along the beach have their own 'private' beaches that would be just as nice. I would recommend spending a bit more and upgrading to one of the other hotels along the beach. The Holiday Inn would be my choice if we ever go back. Its a tad more expensive but you get way more for your money than you are going to get at Gulfview!! plus, Kids eat free at their popular restaurant on the beach. And their pool area is absolutely gorgeous.

I really feel like this hotel could be great if the owners put a little investment in it-starting with fixing the obvious problems in the rooms and maybe adding a gift shop/mini convenience store. It has a great place on the beach, but that is about all it has. Stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Roadtripgal5

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Staff is very friendly, hotel is clean enough, nothing fancy. Beach is small but private and clean. If you want a place on the beach to RELAX, do NOT stay here. Shephard's Resort next door is a party resort for 20-30 somethings and you will not get ANY sleep until after 3am. The music next door is so loud and obnoxious you can feel it vibrating the windows and walls. If you're in Clearwater beach to party, this is a great value for being right on the beach. For relaxing, stay closer to the pier area at a mom and pop beach hotel.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kimberly E
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We arrived 7/8 departed 7/11. The price was very reasonable for the area. The room was very clean. We only had to ask for washcloths and we had within 5 minutes. The view was great even for a partial view we were on the side by the Shepards Resort and lets just say being able to listen to live band was great. I have say overall wonderful and all staff was very courteous. I would stay again if im in the area!!

• Stayed July 2014
Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked this hotel before we saw it. It was ok. We've definitely had worse. The view from the balcony of the ocean was from the side. There wasn't much beach located directly behind the hotel. We went to Pier 60 to enjoy the beach but the down side of that is we had to pay for parking b/c our hotel wasn't close enough to walk to the beach. We did like having a kitchenette. The bathroom was very clean which is a huge plus. The room was also clean and spacey. We didn't like the band playing next door all night b/c it was loud while we were trying to sleep. We wouldn't stay there again b/c of the loud music and that everything we wanted to do was on the other end of the beach.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here two nights longer than originally planned because we loved it so much. Wake up early in the morning, go out on the balcony and watch a manatee or two go by. Go downstairs, through the pool area, and step right onto the beach. Manatees came within a foot of us a couple of times. *You can look but do not touch or play with them - you could face a fine.* You'll see dolphins as well and Hulk Hogan (yes, I said Hulk Hogan). He lives on Clearwater Beach and passed by a couple of times in his boat. Our room was clean and perfectly placed on the north side with the music. Music was played anytime between 2pm and 2am. Really not as bad as some people have posted. If you love music, go out on your balcony and dance - everyone else was! Let's talk location...too far to walk to the Pier but there is a trolley stop right in front of Shephard's Resort (right next door). Souvenir shops right across the street. Walking distance to Jimmy's Fish House, Gondolier's and an ice cream shop two traffic lights up. Next to the hotel on the beach is Makin Waves if you're in the mood to rent jet skis, paddleboards, kayaks and beach chairs w/ umbrellas.
This hotel is older but in a great spot, its clean, staff is friendly and free live entertainment. We already plan to stay here again next summer. On a side note : Parking around Clearwater Beach is horrible (seriously), so I highly recommend that you invest in a trolley pass or rent a bike.

4 Thank Heather N
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is an older hotel, but is clean and comfortable. They are directly on a private beach. There is something to be said about the ocean being only footsteps away. They also offer juice and pastries as complimentary breakfast. All rooms have a fridge, stove, microwave. Unbeatable price. I will def return. I see others mention music fom the neighbor hotel. I thought it was quite nice to have music on the beach, and could not hear it AT ALL inside the hotel. They also have a beachside pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a "partial ocean view," as ALL rooms have a at least a partial oce...