“Nice rooms but no customer service”

Quality Hotel On the Beach
Ranked #39 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 26 March 2009

In February my wife and I were on our way from Sarasota to Orlando and wanted to spend two nights in Clearwater Beach. After being told at 4-5 other hotels that they had one night but not the other available we stopped at the Quality Hotel. The customer service person told us that she had a room both nights. We were impressed with the room, very clean, nice firm bed. However upon waking up the next morning there was a paper slid under the doorway regarding checkout time. I took that down to the desk and was told that we only signed for one night (see here-you signed here) and that we wouldn't be able to stay in that room. Of course if we were interested they did have another room available for an additional $30 per night. Having a bad taste in my mouth I proceeded to tell them that I thought there was dishonesty going on and felt that I was being lied to at check-in. I informed the desk clerk and the general manager of my opinion and that no, I was not interested in the more expensive room. After packing my bags and loading my car I went to the desk to check out I gave the clerk $200 for the $135 bill and proceeded to vent to him my opinion of this motel. He handed me a bunch of $5 bills and told me to leave if I didn't like it. I stood there and counted the money and found that on top of all that he short changed me by $20. I won't even try to file a complaint with the hotel but I also will never stay here or any other Choice Hotels again. Choice Hotels, I hope you're all happy with the customer no service people you have in place at this location, because you're going to have to live with their consequences.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ddeford

Reviewed 25 March 2009

After staying in Ft Lauderdale & Miami Beach for the first couple days this was by far a pleasant experience. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean and neat. The beach area isn't very large but there was alot of places around to have fun. If we ever visit the area again this is were we'll stay. And unlike the east coast parking is included at no extra charge

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Garye731
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I am pleased to let you know that we were contacted by Quality Inn on the Beach in response to our experience with the less-than-exceptional service. I would highly recommend that you stay at the Quality Inn on the Beach and if your stay does not measure up, be sure to contact them. They stood behind their product, apologized, and extended a discount to us for a future stay. Thanks for coming through in the end -- although a bit after-the-fact.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Stayed for four nights just after New Year's. Hotel had ample parking and is well maintained. I had requested a non-smoking room and was given a smoking room that had been "specially cleaned" but it still reeked of stale cigarette smoke. No big deal - I just kept the balcony door and windows open.

The beach is small but nice and located on Clearwater Pass, not directly on the Gulf. Nice view of the Gulf / sunsets from the second floor (and above) though. One problem I had was that you can't walk the beach from the hotel to the Clearwater public beach - there are seawalls and private property in between so you have to detour onto the sidewalk. Again, not a big thing.

i didn't have much interaction with the staff but they were all pleasant. My room had a small refrigerator and microwave so I stocked up at the local Publix on the way to the hotel and saved some money on eating out.

Kids at the saltwater pool and the bar almost directly below my room could be noisy but they closed at 8 or 10PM, so that noise was not an issue for sleeping. This hotel is two doors down from Shepard's though and they had an outdoor band playing every night so I could hear the bass thumping in my room even with the balcony door and window closed. I managed to fall asleep anyway since I spent almost all my time outside on the beach or at the pool.

Lots of interesting critters and shells along the beach but I wouldn't swim in the pass - passes have nasty currents and dropoffs in them. Saw dolphins swimming by a couple of times but didn't have my camera handy.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again but I'm more likely to stay on St Pete Beach as I like that beach better.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We stayed at the Quality Hotel on the Beach from December 29 to January 2, and loved every minute. The hotel check-in was quick, there are two elevators serving the hotel to get you to your rooms quickly, and the rooms were great.

The beds are very comfortable with four comfy pillows and extra pillows and blankets in the cupboard (and I'm a terrible sleeper.) We had a city view room, which didn't have a great view, but it was quiet at night for sleeping, and a great place to sit in the afternoon while waiting to go out for the evening. The bathrooms were clean and well-stocked with towels for showering and for swimming, and room service answered very quickly whenever we needed anything extra (more towels, another blanket.) There is a microwave and small refrigerator in the rooms, too, and a flat screen tv.

The heated pool was a treat since the gulf was a bit too cold for my liking, though there were plenty of people swimming in the gulf as well. And the location is great. A restaurant on site, and several within walking distance, a couple of convenience stores across the street, and Shepherds, a great indoor and outdoor club to go partying for the evening, or just have a few drinks. The only things missing were a grocery store and other shopping (not touristy stuff) within walking distance, but the tram stops right outside, so there's no proble there either.

Top notch staff provided coffee, tea and other services quickly (like when we forgot our combination for the safe in the room.) This is a great place, and great value.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We were due to stay here for 2 nights, up to 24 December 2008, but enjoyed it so much we stayed for 2 extra nights!

Check in was quick and easy and on getting to our room we really liked the place. The hotel has been refurbished about a year ago and the room and furnishings are spotlessly clean.

We booked a partial ocean view (on the side of the hotel) and it was great. The balcony looked out onto the small private beach and the calm sea and it was ideal to watch the sunset each evening.

There are plenty of places to eat and drink within walking distance and Clearwater beach is just around the corner from the hotel.

The hotel has it's own bar on the beach and you are free to use the sunbeds. We spent all Christmas day just laying on the beach and drinking the bars rum runner cocktails - wonderful!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

I booked this hotel as part of a package deal and was really skeptical at first. I even warned my boyfriend numerous times because I wasn't sure if we were going to like it. When we arrived to the parking lot at night we saw people in the bar/pool area, loud music, etc and I was scared. We checked in and got to our room and it was an excellent room and we were only on the 2nd floor and could not hear the music our loud people outside. The room was very clean and it exceeded my expectations. The pool was really nice which was another shock to me, the sand on the beach was so soft it was like stepping on flour! My daughter loved it:) I was sad I didn't have much time to enjoy the pool and beach, we had a wedding to attend. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a decent place.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)