“not worthy of 2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP
Ranked #31 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Orlando, Florida
“not worthy of 2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

In my review to the hotel, I suggested that they make the following rather simple improvements:

1) Fix the incredible number of potholes in the rear and side parking lot
2) Don't allow commercial vehicles to park in rear parking lot (use side lot near Bob Evans)
3) Don't allow commercial vehicles to run their refrigeration unit all night long
4) Don't allow a condition where contractors parked out back shout profanities at each other at 6:00 AM
5) Don't post a sign for multiple days acknowledging pool and hot tub heater isn't working; bring in a repair service and fix that problem right away
6) Make sure that lobby printer is capable of printing boarding passes (it currently is not)
7) Make sure that your free WiFi service has a higher level "up time" and doesn't have intermittent outages
8) Add variety to the morning breakfast; add an attendant as well

For my additional comments to them, I wrote:

First of all, I can'y complain about the price as this was a 4 night Award stay so it was FREE. This is my 4th stay at this property. I'm an elite LQ member. This place has seriously gone down hill since my previous 3 stays. One can't complain about the proximity of the PIE airport, the noise of the neighboring daycare center, the less than glamorous neighborhood behind the hotel, or the noise of Ulmerton Road. You know all of those things when you select this property. However, the 8 items that I called out under improvements are things that can be easily corrected if you care to. I can see without question that the "2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award winner "status does not currently manifest itself in a credible way and is currently undeserving. Currently it's a middle of the road LQ at best. I never hesitated to stay here before but I will be very reluctant to return based on my experience from last week.

Room Tip: Choice the Courtyard by Marriott next door to this LQ.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joe M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Malone, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel on Feb 9th as I had an early flight on the following day. I chose this hotel because the website said shuttle service available. When I arrived and asked the front desk about arranging shuttle and that I needed to leave the hotel by 5:30 a.m., I was informed the shuttle didn't start until 6:00 a.m. They offered to call me a taxi but when I asked if they paid for the taxi they said no. The website should be more specific when it says it offers a service but there are limits on it.
The room we stayed in was clean but the bathroom was in need of updating and repair. The tub was probably clean, but had dark stains on the bottom and had several areas where you could see holes had been patched.
The outlet plug in the room between the beds was falling out of the wall and the plug cover wasn't even secured. Not a lot of plugs in the room available for charging electronics.
Most hotels that I have stayed in have offered a list of nearby restaurants but when I asked for this at the front desk they didn't have anything available. When I asked the front desk clerk if she had any suggestions, she didn't offer anything. She wasn't rude, but she definitely didn't offer much customer service.
If you do stay at this restaurant and want to go to a very nice restaurant, try the Twisted Martini just down the road. It was fantastic.
I probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again. For the price I expect a little more service. Many other La Quintas I've stayed at put this hotel to shame.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel on priceline for a decent rate so I booked here only because they accepted pets with no extra charge. My initial reservation was for 3 days by the 3 rd day we decided to stay longer so we extended our stay I told them to extend it for 4 more days which I got charged for on the third day I called again to extend and they told me my check out was for that day I was furious I talked to the manager who was very rude so I asked for corporate office I then called them and they also told me nothing they can do so in the mean time while on the phone with corporate I had to decided to just pay again and stay well when I got off the phone with corporate they had told me they had gave my room away so I had 15 mins to gather my things ofy whole family after staying for over a week horrible and still no compensation.

• Stayed February 2014
Sioux Falls SD
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The rooms were spacious, updated and the hotel well kept. We stayed the night before our flight and had to leave early so we didn't get to experience breakfast, but this was a super hotel for the money!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Turnersville, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 January 2014

read many positive reviews about this property and how accommodating they were to both guests and their dogs. Tried to reserve rooms for our family reunion in March...we were denied because of our dog's breed- a boxer!!! Are you kidding me??? This is the friendliest, happiest breed. La Quinta, you are so misinformed and wrong on this one. I am aghast

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rrbh
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Good place to stay. I felt safe and relaxed. Please make sure when you go to your room for the first time you ask for very specific directions. The hotel is laid out in a pinwheel. I got lost going to my room. Room was clean and nice, bathroom had no issues. However the temp was set to 64 and it was freezing. The free breakfast in the morning was under par for what I am used to from LQ. In case you dont get full like I did. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Star Level was dead on. Use Express Deal with Priceline . Overall , I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor room 309. I felt like I was in a Corn Husk Maze trying to find my room. But w...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed 3 nights in the hotels apartment suite, while waiting to get into our rental home.
The kitchen had no stove just a microwave, but there was a Full size fridge, empty kitchen cupboards and dble sink. Perfect for picking up Publix pre cooked chicken and salads, if you forget your paper plates just grab a few extras of the breakfast buffet.
The living room was HUGE and there was even a small dining room. Okay bedroom & bathroom. VERY Clean and no bed bugs.
The Breakfast Buffet was pretty skimpy but the food was good. Not often you see a La Quinta breakfast that doesn't have pastries or muffins. There were waffles, bagels, & toast, plus fresh boiled eggs, yogurt & cereal.
The pool area looked nice but was off limits with the pooch. No problem, there is a second floor balcony with umbrella's & tables that overlook the pool. Perfect for sitting outside and letting the dog stretch her legs while we enjoyed a few cocktails and lunch (prepared in our apartment kitchen). No one used it except us, so it was private and a nice spot to enjoy a cheap lunch.
Only negative. The front desk didn't have a wine opener.

Room Tip: Use your La Quinta points and upgrade to the Apartment Suite. It was fewer points than most rooms a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family