“Please replace the desk chairs.”

Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater
Ranked #40 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Bella Vista, Arkansas
“Please replace the desk chairs.”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was really concerned when I read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp regarding this Courtyard, especially the review about rooms looking like they were from a dated Comfort Inn or Super 8... and the review about fleas in the guy's room!? Yikes! When we drove up I was nervous again when I saw that this was the "old style" Courtyard Marriott, rather than a newer property. I am Marriott Gold this year (although I doubt I'll maintain it for 2013) and have high expectations for the Courtyard brand.

The lobby, however, has been renovated and is probably the only hotel lobby where I would feel comfortable just sitting and hanging out. Hallways still have the old carpet, but my room appears to have been recently renovated too. Nice dark blue carpets, plenty of power outlets, fast internet, comfortable bed. Hard to complain!

My only legitimate complaint as a business traveler is the desk chair -- it is not in any way ergonomic. I would like a chair that would allow me to sit comfortably and work at my desk. As I write this I have a bad pain in my back because the chair (at it's highest) sits about 6 inches off the floor and my hands are level with my chest to type. Not ideal. Replacing these chairs would go a long way towards a better review.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
mcote88, General Manager at Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Marriott Gold Elite Member,

Thank you for your candid feedback about your stay. Unfortnately, the comments and pics on Yelp have been their a long time and we take those comments very seriously. We are very excited about the new lobby space as it does provide a better environment for relaxing and catching up from the business day. As a valued Elite Member and one that stays at Courtyard throughout the country, the desk chair height is a common topic. We will be renovating the guest rooms in April and will be addressing the desk chairs. In the interim, if you travel back our way, we have several rooms with the upgraded chair. We would be happy to get one to ensure your comfortable and productive. Thanks so much for choosing the Courtyard St Petersburg/Clearwater and I appreciate your loyalty as a Gold Elite Member.

Mike Cote

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel is located not far from the first exit off of I-275 after you cross the bridge from Tampa Bay. They offered a great weekend rate that I took advantage of on a Saturday night. There are a couple of fast food restaurants that you can walk to from the hotel, including a Chick-fil-a. This hotel was about 30 minutes from the beach and less than 30 minutes to the airport at non-peak traffic hours.

The hotel was quiet and in a safe area adjacent to some other hotels and office buildings. I would stay here again if I were in this area. I left very early in the morning and felt safe in the dark parking lot.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
mcote88, General Manager at Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us. I know you have plent y of choices in Clearwater. We look forward to seeing you again when you travel plans bring you back to Clearwater.

Kind regards,

Mike
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have stayed at many nice Marriott's and Courtyards and expected the same fine standard at this hotel. Boy were we disappointed! This hotel has clearly risen from the ashes of a bad Comfort or Days inn and was remade into a bad Courtyard by Marriott. The public rooms and the pool are lovely. . . but. . .the rooms are the same footprint of tiny Super 8 motel rooms and the bathrooms had the same paper-tissue towels of yesteryear. The room had tiny hopping bugs - fleas, maybe? that appeared in the morning everywhere. Most disappointing was the staff since we generally can get a smile out of anyone. We always ask local staff to tell us where they like to go to eat. When asked about their recommendations for dinner, we were referred to the computer screen in the lobby. No interaction or interest exhibited at all - and there were not any customers waiting for them - they just didn't care enough to have a conversation with a guest when a computer could so do the trick instead. When my husband went to the "bistro" area in the am in search of coffee, instead of pointing out the free coffee 20 feet away in the lobby - they charged him $2 for a cup of the same joe. With so many other options nearby, why go here at all?

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lwsara
mcote88, General Manager at Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback about you stay with us. I apologize for not meeting your expectations with our room product. We are anxiously awaiting the start of our rooms renovation. Most cencerning is the lack of staff service and how we failed to personalize your experience. I will review your comments with my staff to ensure we are providing the highest level of service you have come to expect form Marriott. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you that we can deliver a superior service experience. Again, ,my sincere apologies for the poor experience and look forward to ensuring your next stay is what you expect from Marriott.
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2012

What can I say but I LOVE Marriott hotels, just always consistently clean and comfy. This place was well maintained, tucked away from the super-busy main road (Ulmerton- UGG) , very very clean (love the smell of clean linen!), and a great value. We really enjoyed our 2 nights there ... not too far from the beaches, it was less than 1/2 price of other beach hotels. The drive was a bit longer than I thought originally, about 20-30 mins in traffic. But still, a good central location. Near the airport but no plane noises. The room was so clean and comfy, especially the bed/pillows. The bathroom spotless, granite, tile, NICE. The hot tub area was SPOTless and the pool/courtyard area was simply lovely. Would definitely stay here again! Thanks Marriott!

Room Tip: we got a really reduced rate so I didn't mind looking out at the parking lot. But a courtyard f...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
mcote88, General Manager at Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for the kind comments about your experience at the Courtyard. We continue to strive to provide a clean and well maintained facility with a genuine Marriott 'Spirit to Serve" attitude. We will share your comments with our team!

Hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Rooms - small but practical and clean. They have updated since I was there last and it looks nice. I was on the first floor by the pool. Its nice to be able to walk out of the sliding door and head to the pool but they also play music until 11 at the pool which I could hear inside my room.

Gym - is VERY small, 2 treadmills, 1 eliptical (that didn't work when I was there) and one bike with some free weights. I couldn't imagine 5 people in there at one time, its a tiny room and actually heavily used.

Drawbacks - if you don't rent a car there is very little you can walk to. There is a Bob Evans less than a 5 min walk and a mcdonalds and subway about a 10 min walk. The beach and malls are about 30 min away.

Highlights
-hot tub is huge and not used very often, resteraunt is fast and good for breakfast and has tv's set up for those who are travelling alone, they also have a place to print out bording passes

Room Tip: First floor has access to the pool right from your room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback about your experience at the Courtyard. We completed our lobby last year and added the Bistro concept, which has had great reviews. We are looking forward to a rooms refresh in the fall of this year, which will provide a decor that will mirror the lobby. Unfortunately, we do have a small Gym! We are looking at options for expanding the size in the near future.
We thank your for choosing the Courtyard and look forward to your future stay with us!

Many thanks
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I was working downtown st Pete. I normally stay at Hilton. I pricelined and got this place near carillon park. The Hilton at carillon is best hotel bar none. But this place gets an ok from the traveling man

• Stayed July 2012
mcote88, General Manager at Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thanks so much for the feedback about your stay. We plan to complete a guest room renovation in November of this year with a new decor and bedding experience. We hope to see you in the near future on your next trip to Clearwater.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husbands brother was in a nearby hospital and we checked into this hotel by walking in at 8:00PM and asking for the best rate. The desk staff was very friendly and helpfull. We got a great rate and a very nice king suite. The bed was great, room was very clean although someone had left the heater on in 90* weather, but we able to cool it down quickly. The staff directed us to great dining nearby "Bascoms" which is top notch. The next morning we had breakfast in the dining room at the hotel and our only negative experience was the lady who took care of us there. She has difficulty with english and a short fuse if you do not understad her, but it was laughable. The food was pricey but good. Over all it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for sharing your feedback and experience with our Bistro. I am glad to hear our desk staff and product met your expectations. We strive to provide the best service experience and I apologize fro falling short of that at breakfast. Your candid feedback will help us improve our service for in the future.

Many thanks...