“Better second time around”

Ranked #84 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Lakeland, Florida, United States
“Better second time around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

My family and i stayed here twice in a month. The first time was not so goodwe called before we arrived and was told our room was ready but when we got there it wasnt so we had to wait another hour, and when we finally got into the room the AC didnt work. There was a baseball tournament going on so there were lots of 12 -14 yr old boys running and shouting and stayed in the pool until around 1am.
The second time we stayed it was the complete opposite the room was ready and cool when we walked in, the pool was clean and breakfast was delicious.

Even with the first problems we will continue to stay where when we are in town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Heather B,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your thoughts and concerns about the hotel. We are sorry that you were not happy with your first stay. Thank you for giving us a second chance. We have passed your concerns on to our staff. We appreciate all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Quality Inn & Suites Clearwater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I would not recommend this hotel at all. The rooms have mold and are dirty. We asked them to change the sheets they didn't. Plus, they charge your card more then once and have to deal with out through your bank cause they have no record of having you there. The worst Quality Inn I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sherry513

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Cordova, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The front staff are nice, however the rooms are horrible. I had to take the light cover off of the light in the bathroom area so when i turned on the light i could stand on the toilet to turn the light on. The exhaust vent had enough dust on it to make it look like it had a fur coat. The whole time i felt like i needed to take a shower just to make me feel better. The tv lineup is much to be desired as well. I asked about getting a TV line up and was told the housekeeping staff took care of it. Oh and don't forget the housekeeping staff didn't make up my room 2 days during my stay. Not to mention it took them 3 tries when i checked in to get a room I felt semi comfortable in. Not a very good place to stay in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Cocoa Bch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. This hotel is in transition. The front desk was great with check in and check out. Tim and Sandra were very helpful. The room was very comfortable and clean. I feel that I got a great deal for a reasonable amout of money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear surferfich,

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments. Thank you for bearing with us during this time of transition. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Jacksonville, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Boy was this place a mistake. I can't believe it's listed as 2 stars. The first room was filthy, mold in the shower, the toilet bowl was brown, the sheets had stains, the room smelled and even the armrest of the chair had mold. We got a new room which was somewhat cleaner but only marginally better. The door did not seal and you could hear all the noise outside; people talking outside sounded like they were in the room with you. The beds weren't very comfortable. The AC was incredibly loud and had to work all the time to compensate for the bad door seal, making it difficult to sleep. Making it even more of a challenge to get some sleep, we received a call at 12:30 IN THE MORNING from the manager at the front desk asking us if our new room was OK. Seriously?! You don't have the common sense not to ring your guests in the middle of the night?? We ended up leaving after the first night of a 3 night stay; I travel a fair amount, I'm not terribly picky and this was the first time in my LIFE I left a hotel before my scheduled stay was up. We were on a tight budget but it was worth the risk of losing what I paid for the remaining reservation (prepaid).

The ONLY plus to this place was the girl who was working the desk the morning when we left. She was very apologetic and did everything she could to be helpful. Obviously, I wouldn't take it out on her, she has no control over what a bad place she works at. It is abundantly clear the owners are not willing to put ANY MONEY into maintaining or cleaning this hotel, LET ALONE making improvements that are desperately needed. If they're not willing to put their money into it, why should you?

As a side note, and what really should have set my expectations for the stay right off the bat: as we were entering the first room we encountered the cleaning lady who said the room wasn't finished yet (they gave us a room that hadn't been cleaned yet? Nice.) She went in before us to make sure everything was OK, she said that the room was all set except there was a little odor from the people before us who apparently had dogs in the room. She said not to worry since they had an ozone machine running. After getting in there it was almost laughable...I'm a pet owner myself so I guess I'm used to it, but the smell was the LEAST of the rooms problems. I couldn't believe that someone in the business of CLEANING for a living thought that the mold in the shower, dirty sheets and toilet bowl that hadn't been cleaned in months (apparently) shouldn't be a big deal but the SMELL might bother us a little. I hardly noticed the smell with all the other disgusting issues. I'm honestly thinking of complaining to the department of health so they can drop by for a surprise visit, it was THAT BAD.

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
hernando fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband and I have been staying here since Monday 5-21-2012.
We have had no compalints. The staff is always smiling. I have to give a great big cootose to Charee in the kitchen. She works very hard and exspecially when she has to keep up with alot of construction workders. This place defintly makes you feel at home. I can not say enough about this place. I would stay here again and again.
Charee thank you for your upbeat personality and your wonderful smiles.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Wanda007,

Thank you for telling your visit to our hotel. We are so glad that we could accommodate you and your husband. We appreciate your great comments about our staff member Charee. We will pass these great comments on to her. It is always great to hear good comments from our guests. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you again for all of your comments. We hope to see you again in the future.

Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is one of those reviews where it's hard to place an overall rating on the property. Some aspects were very good, while others were tremendously disappointing.

This is an older, 60's style motel that has has been upgraded, so outward appearances don't tell the whole story. It is set way back from busy Ulmerton Road, which keeps down the noise - which is good - but makes it a bit hard to find. It's along the north side of Ulmerton Road, but you have to keep your eyes open in order to spot the sign - which is a temporary sign (this hotel is a conversion) that is sometimes hard to see.

The rooms are, overall, decent, with upgraded furnishings. My room had a work desk, small round table with 2 chairs, 2 large beds which filled up the major portion of the room space, a fridge, microwave, and a bench for luggage. The bathroom was very clean. Beds were comfortable, although I did notice a slight downward slope along the edge of my bed - probably just this bed, and not characteristic of the hotel overall. Parking was ample and convenient. The climate control unit was a bit noisy but worked fine. Wireless internet worked OK, but I would have to log in for each session. The system doesn't "remember" previous log-ins very well - no big deal.

Check-in was handled efficiently by a pleasant front desk person.

Things were dramatically different when I checked out. The young lady working on the front desk seemed to have a "who gives a you-know-what" attitude" and seemed absolutely bored and annoyed with her job, especially when it came to dealing with her customers. When checking out, she was unable to get her computer to produce a detailed receipt, and seemed to be a bit annoyed that I had actually wanted one. I remained very polite, somewhat amused by how someone with such a horrible attitude actually survives in a customer service position, but she promised to email me my receipt once she got the computer working.

I gave her my e-mail address and also my fax number, and here I sit, over 12 hours later -- no email, no fax ... no receipt. I guess I need to call the hotel to request it.

Had I not encountered this particular person and her funky attitude, I would have given this hotel a "very good" rating, overall. But customer service - delivered efficiently, pleasantly, and respectfully - is an important part of hotel service, and I put high value on it in my reviews. I can forgive minor annoyances when the person trying to assist me is genuinely concerned helpful. But I consider it a big strike when those responsible for customer service don't seem to understand what such service is all about. Such people can really tarnish one's impressions of a property.

One other thing ... my promised wake-up call didn't come. I don't know why, but I'm glad that I also set my own alarm as a backup.

Verdict: A major change in attitude of a certain front desk person would do wonders here. Would I stay here again? Probably ... because overall, it is a very good deal for the money, the location is great, and the rooms are fine. I just hope next time the check-out experience is handled a wee bit better.

Service rating is based on the check-in experience (excellent) and the check-out experience (terrible). (Excellent + Terrible) / 2 = Average.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo