“Almost lovely hotel”

Ranked #46 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
New York
“Almost lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I always try and stay with Hampton and have rarely been disappointed. Hampton did a good job renovating an old typical Florida motel. It was Hampton quality beds and furniture but in very small rooms.The breakfast was good, the pool area was super -Quiet, landscaped well and they even had floats for the pool.. My husband and I had cocktails each day by the pool. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful at all times. They don't have standard refrigerators but when we asked they had a few that can travel from room to room. It was close to the beach (10 minutes drive) and we couldn't beat the price. Except for the size of the room it was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: poolside is the nicest
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Beki L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Clearwater Central, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am so happy you enjoyed your time with us and was able to take advantage of the pool area and courtyard as well. I wish I could walk out there and do the same however I wouldn't ever get any work done, LOL...We actually use to be a full service Holilday Inn years again when it was first built. I hope that a return visit is in your future before the new year happens. Thanks again for the review and have a great summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I should have written this sooner but in any case, this is a great property to stay for Phillies Spring Training in March. My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in March 2014 for Phillies Spring training. This Hampton was a good value - we used points and paid for a night. Book early if you are doing Spring Training. The hotel was pretty much filled for Spring Training. The grounds were nice especially around the pool. We didn't get to use the pool but it looked nice and relaxing. Plenty of chairs etc. Free breakfast available but we didn't take advantage of because we walked to Lenny's for breakfast or went to Bright house field early. But the free breakfast is one of the reasons I usually stay at Hamptons. Be aware as mentioned in other reviews there are NO elevators. If you stay on the 2nd floor, you will need to carry your bags up the stairs. Also the rooms open to street. This looks to be a former motel that was converted to a Hampton. But don't let that scare you, the rooms seem to renovated and the lobby and breakfast area were modern and sleek. Our room was a tad small but it was fine as we weren't there much - out at Phillies games. The room did have a small fridge and coffee maker.

We did not rent a car. We took a shared shuttle to hotel. Walked to Brighthouse Field every day (less than 1 mile). Plenty of restaurants within walking distance (1 mile or less). At the time we stayed, the hotel offered a shuttle to beach via a private company. I think it was $5 (or$10) each way. When we wanted to try a restaurant at Clearwater beach, we took a cab which could get expensive but it was fine for a few nights.

The staff at the front desk were very helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel any time of year but definitely for Phillies Spring Training.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor so you don't have to lug your luggage up stairs. They are NO el...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review even if it is months after your stay. It makes me feel good because you are still thinking about us even as time passed by. I did want to clarify something that not just you but other guests have mentioned. We do have and elevator for the second floor. It's directly outside the breakfast area. I apologize if the front desk team didn't mention it upon you checking in because that is one of my big points when checking a guest into a second floor room. I want them to give everyone the option to use the elevator and walk around to your room or use the stairs in front of your room, either way the choice needs to be offered. You are correct about booking early for spring break though, we were full pretty much from the middle of February to the end of March. Lenny's is awesome as well...many guests walk down to there to eat breakfast and they have been voted top diner in Pinellas county for 5 years in a row. Thank you again for your review and I hope you have an awesome summer and we will see you next year.
Knoxville, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I almost always stay at Hampton Inn because they are consistently reliable. I did have some gripes with this particular location though. 1) No refrigerator nor microwave in the room. 2) Heated pool was obnoxious on a 95 degree day in Florida. But the kiddie pool with waterfall was refreshing. Other than that, completely satisfied. Rooms are clean and bedding smells/feels fresh. Continental breakfast is always satisfactory and convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

I know that I already wrote to you on your survey however wanted to thank you as well for writing a review. I completely understand your thoughts on wanting a fridge when traveling. We plan on putting fridges in all the rooms when we renovate down the road however as of right now we only have them in the suites. We do offer several complimentary portable one's however they are limited. I am sorry about the pool being warm however the wonderful Florida sunshine is to blame. Our pool heater shut off in May and won't turn back on until around October because the sun keeps it warm enough. I wish they made a cooling unit for pools because I agree with you about the pool being warm, I get into my pool at my house and it is very warm as well. Hope you have a great summer and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The grounds around the pool and outdoor porch are great. If you are on the 2nd floor you will need to carry your bags up a flight of stairs. Our room faced the pool. It was a quiet and peaceful night. I really liked the option of the breakfast porch with the rockers. Close to the beach without the beach front price. The staff were all friendly. I would return. My kids would love the pool.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I love those rockers myself and I am glad you did too. We find many guests that enjoy the patio area for breakfast because of the tropical view while eating. Thank you again and we hope to see you back sooner than later with the kids this next time. Have a great summer.
Conyers, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family and I stayed there from June 25-29. We enjoyed our stay at the Hampton. I read a lot of reviews before leaving for the trip as I always do. In reading those and they were very accurate. The breakfast is an ideal way to save money and the waffle line can be long but you can do better. I had no issue with the staff as they were professional to my family and I. The beds were comfortable and clean. The travel to the beach isn't very far maybe 10-12 minutes. Now...If you're expecting anything other than a motel style setting you're mistaken. The rooms are outdated but the grounds are nice. The bathrooms are incredibly small so there is just room enough to close the door if you're using the toilets. The age of the rooms show in the carpet and tile of the floor. The AC/heat units are those from the eighties and depending on where you're placed it could be noisy. The lighting is average so if you want bright, open the window and turn on all the lights you need. The local selection of food and entertainment were good as well. There's traffic construction in the city which could sour things. However, the highlight for us was the swimming pool. It's a heated salt water pool that absolutely was warm and inviting regardless of the weather. Oh and the cookies were great! I thought it was cool that the hotel even did an outdoor movie night. So in conclusion, you could get more if you pay for more but depending on what you're willing to live with the hotel was not updated but still a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I couldn't have said it better myself...thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us and I hope there will be many more in our future. We just started doing movie night by the pool this past March and it has been getting rave reviews. This past weekend was July 4th and the kids were so disappointed that we couldn't do the movie because it was raining so we did it inside in the breakfast area and everyone loved it. Thanks again for the review and have a great summer.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I booked the Inn by the amount of good reviews on this site and we were not disappointed. From the moment we entered the lobby to the almost tearful moment we left to come home, our stay here was without fault. Reading the past reviews makes you believe that you can't please all the people all the time, but I can truly state we enjoyed our stay so much we are already planning next years visit.
Clearwater beach is only 10 to 15 minutes away, Honeymoon Island, Dunedin, Safety Harbour, St. Petersburg and Tampa all local travelling , easily inside the hour. I recommend Lowry Park zoo in Tampa.
The room was very good. An upstairs room overlooking the pool, the view through the trees and past the waterfall was idyllic. Maid service every day, the room was spacious and very clean. I found out too late that we could have had a fridge complimentary, but I'll save that until next time. The air-con was superb if a little noisy (that's not a complaint, it was acceptable)
All the staff, without exception were friendly and I thought genuinely happy, such is the atmosphere around here. David was always cheerful and very helpful, as were the whole staff.
I could go on to the point of boring, but in a nutshell I am looking to our next visit already with the emphasis that we won't be looking to stay anywhere else but here

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Next time you plan your trip my way please email me at beki.lewie@hilton.com so I can make sure that we reserve that fridge for you. We have a limited supply of movable fridge's on property and I will do everything I can to make sure your get one. Thanks again and have an awesome rest of the summer.
Lovely Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We loved this hotel! It took a few extra minutes because we had trouble locating it due to construction (we were on Hwy 19 and the hotel was on the frontage road) but as soon as we walked into the lobby we were relieved. The lobby and breakfast area is very well maintained. We were given a room on the first floor right by the pool and when traveling with kids that was wonderful. I called the morning we were traveling and asked for a refrigerator so one was in our room when we arrived. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean and well maintained. The pool area was very nice as well.

Even with the road construction, the hotel is in a great location. Close to dining, Walmart, Target and 15 minutes from the beach.

Room Tip: First floor room on the pool side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I remember the days I was traveling with small children and the relief that just comes over you when you arrive to a hotel and it was everything you could have ever asked for. Our staff really try to make every guests stay a great one because we ourselves know what it is like to go on vacation and not get the best service or cleanliness room. I am glad our efforts paid off. We hope to see you again very soon and just remember to call and ask for that fridge and poolside room on your next visit. If we can provide it we will make sure you get it each time. Have an awesome summer.