“Not So Bad”

TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My family and I were going to see the Yankees at Tropicana Field and wanted to make a weekend of it so I looked for Marriott hotels in the area. I really like TownePlace Suites because the 2 bedroom units are very roomy and every room has a TV. I read some of the reviews and was a little hesitant, but Marriott has never let me down before so I decided to stick with my reservations. I am so glad I did not listen to the negative reviews.

Would I stay here for a weeklong vacation with my family, not if I had small children because there is not a lot in the immediate area to occupy them. But for a long weekend, or traveling with older teens and adults, this is a really good place.

The hotel is clean and this location offers a deluxe continental breakfast (most TownPlace Suites do not offer breakfast - continental or otherwise). The staff are very friendly, professional and responsive. Check-in was a breeze and about 15 minutes after I left the front desk I received a call from the front desk. The staff was just checking to see if everything was OK and if we needed anything to help us settle in.

For those not familiar with TownPlace Suites, the rooms are suite style which means they offer sitting and cooking areas. The types are studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. The 1 and 2 bedrooms have small kitchens with full size refrigerators, stove top and oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, pots, pans, dishes...you get the picture...and a dishwasher. These units also have a living room with a sleeper sofa.

Our unit was updated with flat screen TVs in the living room and both bedrooms. The units come with one bathroom that has the sink/toiletry area separated from the commode and bathtub/shower area by a door that locks. For longer stays the kitchen area is a real money saver. The beds are very comfortable, although my husband prefers much softer mattresses. The bedding is very nice and they offer plenty of pillows.

TownePlace Suites also offer a laundry room and fitness room. There is also an outdoor pool with a grill nearby.

The location was great for us, not too far off the 275 and right off 688. Of course if you are looking for a scenic stay this is not it. But it does have easy drive access to the beaches (straight down 688) at a very affordable price. We made it to Clearwater Beach in about 25 minutes and that included time waiting to park at the beach. It is also easy access to Tampa and Busch Gardens.

All in all I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to spend a long weekend at a location not too far from the beaches or historic St. Petersburg. Also good for someone going to Tropicana Field, like us, and wanting to make a getaway out of it. Families with small children may want to go elsewhere because of its proximity to the highways and lack of activities for children.

Townplace Suites are also pet firendly for an additional $100.00, non-refundable deposit.

Room Tip: The two bedroom units sleep 4 - 6 and are always at the end of the corridors, so no noisy neighbors...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OviedoFLTraveler
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor! It's always nice to hear great feedback about your recent stay.

Our location is fantastic if you have many activities planned throughout the area. In the fall of 2012, we upgraded the beds and installed the flat screen televisions. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed the upgraded. In the fall of 2013, the hotel will under go a complete renovation. We are so excited about this and the finished product is going to be fabulous!!!!

If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again!

Warm Regards.
Christine

Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hotel was located relatively close to a prison across from a school. That in and of itself should convey that the location of this hotel was poor and more or less in the middle of nowhere. It was much longer to the beach than appeared. Although a 2 bedroom suite, it was quite cramped. As an understatement, the pull-out bed was excruciating. To put it kindly, the breakfast was spartan. The room had not exactly been cleaned on our arrival and the empty bottles that we found under the end table upon arrival were still there when we checked out.

Bottom line, the rate was about twice what it should have been.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you did not like our location due to the proximatey to the Pinellas County Court House. I can assure that our area is very safe and extremely popular due to the easy access to I-275 and the three main bridges.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

having spent four hundred dollars on a three night stay I have spent 2 hours since 7 am listening to a whining barking dog two rooms away it is audable outside and to reception but no action , they have alowed me to change rooms but the problem still exists for all other guests. suposidly a quality hotel ? Why would it have doggy rooms with nuisance certainly no place to go for a holiday unless you are a dog.

Room Tip: avoid the ones near the pool constant cild noise outside the window only come with a dog its on t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blue23uk

Dear Valued Guest,
Please accept my sincere apologies in regards to the barking dog. As a pet friendly hotel, we try very hard to please all our guests; with and without dogs. We greatly appreciate your business and sad that we did not meet your expectations.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We were in Clearwater for a few Spring Training game, and we greatly enjoyed the TownePlace Suites. It was clean, comfortable, and fairly roomy. The location was a real plus - convenient to Clearwater and the ballpark, yet close to the bridge to Tampa and accessible to St. Petersburg.

The only minor issues we had were with the bathrooms - the toilet flush was acting a bit wonky (but easily overcome), and the showers are way too short. If you are over 6 feet tall (OK, maybe 5'10") you will have to be a contortionist to use the shower.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KJE1776

Dear Valued Guest,
It is always nice to hear that your stay was enjoyable! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, I certainly hope that you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Very nice two bedroom suite with kitchen. Nice to have three televisions so kids could watch what they wanted when it was raining outside. Liked having the full size refrigerator. Beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank BWHClan
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with TripAdvisor. It is always nice to hear from our guest as it affords us the opportunity to make improvements or highlight our successes with the team.

I am glad to hear that you found our kitchens to be well equipped and made your stay more enjoyable. The beds and flat screen TV's are new and the feedback on both has been amazing.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, please come stay with us again!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I was thoroughly impressed with every aspect of my stay at the Towneplace Suites St. Petersburg! The clerk who checked me in was very friendly, the bed was super comfortable, and the studio suite was the perfect size for me. Very very clean! I would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephanie H
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review of the hotel and the staff! It is always so nice to hear that we exceeded our guest's expectations. Our hotel has recently made numerous upgrades, which included new beds, flat screen TVs, and new state of the art fitness center.

I have shared your review the entire team. If you get back to the Clearwater area, please come stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is my third stay at this hotel and it was great, as always! Since my last stay, the hotel got new beds, big flat screens and a fancy new exercise room. The new beds are very comfortable. They offer a nice breakfast with a great cereal selection, fruit and yogurt. The staff is always so helpful and really knows the area well. They always have great recommondations to offer for dining and fun things to do in the area. The kitchen is nice and has all the items needed to prepare a meal.

Room Tip: I love the second building looking at the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank robert c
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review of the hotel. As a repeat guest, it is so nice to know that you noticed all the recent upgrades we havemade. Yes, we recently did replace all of the bedding with the new Marriott Standard, which is rather plush and comfortable. The new fitness center has certainly been a hit with our guest as the equipment is state of the art.

In addition to the aforementioned upgrades, we have also upgraded the cable TV to offer more channels and HD. The pool was also upgraded with new furniture.

If you are back in the Clearwater area and stay with us again, please stop by the front desk and say "Hello". Many thanks for the kind words and your loyatly. I will share your comments with the staff as they always love to hear from our guest.