“General Manager made the stay!”

TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Since I am a front desk clerk myself, I really look out for how the front desk treats people (me) while checking in. The General Manager, Ms. Christine, was absolutely fantastic. She was training a new employee and I didn't mind a bit (I remember what that was like a year ago). She made sure that we were taken care of, asking preferences and what not. Got into the room, everything was fantastic. They are going to go under a remodel real soon so if you see any reviews about "outdated", don't listen to them. If you stay here, I hope you have the chance to meet Ms. Christine (under good circumstances of course haha) If I were to ever move to Florida, I would want to work under her.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
WOW! You just made my day! Thank you so much for the kind words and the wonderful review of the hotel. I would also like to thank you for being so patient during the check in process. Your patients allowed me the opportunity to spend some quality time training our new hire.

Thank you for sharing your comments and your experience at the TownePlace Suites! If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again.

Christine

Reviewed 29 July 2013

First-time staying at a TownPlace Suites and the hotel served its purpose. We stayed for a week with a softball team and this hotel was perfect for our needs. It had a kitchen complete with stove and oven, microwave, dishwasher, and a full-size refrigerator. As a result, we didn't have to eat out much which was a plus. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly, but don't expect a lot of frills. It had a small, but functional workout room and a pool. The area where the hotel is located had a lot of traffic, but it was convenient to the ballpark and the beach. Do know, this is a pet-friendly hotel and there were several dogs there during our stay. However, we did not have a problem with noise or barking animals. The best part about the hotel was the cost - it was $79 per night and was definitely worth it. Like I said, do not expect the frills you might find at other Marriott properties, but if you are not going to be in the room much, and don't want to eat out every meal, this is a perfect find.

Room Tip: Request a room above the first floor. For whatever reason, the rooms on the first floor did not hav...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor and providing such a nice description of our hotel. We enjoyed hosting the softball teams that week and all of your players were very thoughtful and polite!

Our location is very popular due to the easy access of the three major bridges, US 19 and I-275 as well as the short drive to the beach.

If you are back in the Clearwater area, we would love to see you! Our hotel will under go a full renovation this fall.

Best Wishes to Your Team!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

As a Gold member of Marriott's Rewards program, I stay at Marriott properties frequently, and find TownePlace Suites to be a consistently good choice. I've stayed at this particular property before, with good experiences, and chose it for this trip because of its location and the availability of an attractive senior rate. I've always had a good experience here, and this visit was no exception.

My standard studio suite seemed a bit smaller than similar suites at other TownePlace suites, but I don't need a whole lot of room. The work desk is ample with good access to TV outlets, and the full kitchen is exactly that - a full kitchen, with stove, full sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, and coffee maker. The room was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. And it was quiet, which is important to me.

Parking is adequate, and the location, right off of Ulmerton Road, provides easy access to I-275, and the Tampa International Airport is only 15-20 minutes away. There are gas stations and restaurants within short driving distance of the property.

I did not sample the breakfast so cannot comment on it. Coffee is available 24/7 in the lobby.

Check-in and check-out were both handled efficiently. Uncharacteristically, the person who checked me in seemed to be a bit inattentive, and I mention this because only because I almost always receive an attentive, warm greeting when I check into a Marriott property, and this seemed to be a bit lacking in this case. Having said that, the process was quick and based on previous experience at this property, this was no big deal.

Overall - a decent choice. Quite comfortable, good location, and often well-priced. Senior (age 62+) and AAA discounts are available at Marroitt's website, but even when clicking on those special rates, take a look at the other rates available, as sometimes they are even cheaper. You just have to check.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank step12dude
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us again!!!!

We are always so pleased to hear from our guests; especially when we have succeeded in making their experience a pleasant one. It is our goal to give our guest the best possible service and accommodations. Our employees are our most valuable asset and I am proud of their accomplishments. We are particulary please when our guest has stayed with us before.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2013

There's just something about having a kitchen, instead of just that darn little mini fridge. The real refrigerators seem to be colder, and it feels more like home. I also like having a coffee pot the ISN'T in the bathroom.

The folks here were friendly. The housekeeping was excellent. My only complaint is that the wireless internet makes you log in every two hours or so. It makes no sense at all. Why not issue a 24 hour DHCP lease instead of only two hours?

I would definitely stay here again when I next visit the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guests,

We deeply value our relationship with our customers and are committed to providing the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best.

It is always gratifying to hear from appreciative guests, and their satisfaction with our product and services. With this in mind, I have shared your comments with my staff.

Thank so much for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. If you get back to the Clearwater area, please come stay with us again!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here because we could get two rooms for as many points as it would cost to get one room at a Residence Inn. Good thing we got two rooms, the rooms were much smaller. Beds were comfortable, but overly thick pillows propped my neck at an uncomfortable angle.Nice LG swivel TV with good selection of cable channels. Wireless Internet is slightly a pain since you have to enter the logon and password each time you use your computer/i-pad.

Kitchenette was tiny but functional. It only includes 3 of everything (plates, flatware sets, drinking glasses, coffee cups, etc). Every other suite-type hotel (Candlewood Suites, Homewood Suites, Residence Inn) has 4 place settings. But since we had 2 rooms, we actually had six of everything. There is a large sign that is a disclaimer that the dishware is not sterilized to restaurant standards, but the coffee cups were DIRTY. A mere rinsing with water, soap and a quick swipe with a dishrag cleaned them right up. There is really no excuse for visibly dirty dishware, since a dishwasher with soap is provided in the room. In the above referenced properties, I have seen the housekeepers run the dishwasher while they clean the room. Even if the guest does not wash the dishes, it's almost effortless for the housekeeper to do it.

Kitchenette novelty: A four burner, apartment size stove, replete with oven.

Every time I went to the front desk, there was a "be right back" sign. These were afternoon and early evening hours also. The front desk should be staffed at all times, especially until maybe midnight. The front door locks after a certain time and is accessible only by keycard so it's not as if staff is endangered should they stay at the front desk.

Breakfast selection was slim- cold cereal, Otis Spunkmeyer muffins, apples, and bananas. That was about it. Not even bagels with cream cheese.

Hallways were lit with overhead flurescent lights, giving them an institutional effect. Property is located on the edge of an office park, so rooms were quiet, even ours that overlooked the swimming pool.

We are Marriott Rewards members but got no bottled water or popcorn as the lady ahead of us did. I'm pretty sure we are Plutonium members or something, hubby travels often for business.

If you need to stay in a room with a kitchenette (great for kids!) on a budget (cash or points), this will do the trick, but if you're used to a Residence Inn, Homewood Suites, or even slightly downmarket Candlewood Suites, this will be slumming it.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank cshao
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at the Towneplace Suites. It is always very disapointing to hear that one of our valued customers did not have a memorable and exceptional stay with us.

We understand that no explanation of the issues you encountered can satisfy a past stay. We are completely committed to regaining your trust and confidence, knowing that your actions will speak louder than these words. Please be assured that we do understand your concerns, and we welcome the opportunity to prove ourselves again and your trusted Clearwater hotel.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

There is something so nice about knowing what to expect and for $10 extra, this extended stay hotel delivers. I think the thing I always notice is the friendly staff and the level of professionalism. This hotel had an $89 internet rate which is a little more then I like to spend but it is so worth it. Never had a problem and they have always understood my late check outs and propensity to have them communicate with other people coming in to meet me so I can stay on the road or focused on my day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank doratallahassee

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and sharing your great experience with other Trip Advisor fans! It is always so nice to hear that we were able to exceed expectactions and provide a great experience in hospitality.

I have shared your review with the entire team. If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have stayed at this property quite a few times and very one at the desk seems to be friendly. However, they go through alot of staff it seems. When I arrive they always have a bottle of water for me (I am a marriott reward member). The pool is always clean and blue. The rooms are in older condition, but the night manager said they are going to be upgrading soon. The price is great. My company only always upto $125 a night and they always seem to be right below that. Checkers is across the street so if you want something quick it is close. The only draw back to this place is that sometimes it is hard to find parking.

Room Tip: I would get the 2 bedroom suite as it give you alot of space. The rooms in the building across from...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick S
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for the kind review about your stay at the TownePlace Suites! It's always nice to hear that we were able to meet or exceed expectations.

As the night manager noted, the hotel will go under a full renovation in the Fall of 2013. We have many exciting upgrades in the works and I hope that you will return to see the finished results.

Your loyalty is very much appriciated!

Christine