“Just average”

Ranked #57 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Rochester, MN
“Just average”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night using Marriott points while checking out the area. The location is not ideal but we felt safe. However, when we went out to find restaurants, they were not easily found and there were a lot of bail bond businesses in the area. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the stay was quiet. The complimentary breakfast was limited. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am suprised to hear that you did find our area/location to be desirable. Our location is very popular due to the proximatly to the local attractions, area beaches and the major roads.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but certainly hope that if you are back in the Clearwater area that you give us another try.

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We only stayed one night but the hotel staff was friendly and the location was close to the interstate, restaurants, and gas. My first impression when walking into the hallway of our building was that it look dated and I could smell what other people were cooking in their rooms (floor 1 meat, floor 2 fish) but once we made it inside our room the smell was thankfully, undetectable. The "family suites" are located at the end of the hallways and have 2 rooms, a living room that includes a sofa bed, small kitchen area, and bathroom. Each bedroom had a flat screen t.v. and so did the living room. The bathroom is set up that if someone is using the toilet or shower another person can still brush teeth/get ready, that was nice. The beds are super comfortable but the mattress on the sofa bed needed to be replaced. My poor son could feel the springs. I will say that the walls are pretty thin, you can hear conversations of people in the nearby rooms. They do offer a continental breakfast which was a premade muffin in a bag, not really what I consider breakfast. Other than those small things the stay was good. A clean room and comfortable bed is what is really important.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shawna G
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. It is always nice to hear that we were able to meet or exceed your expectations. Our location is very popular due to the easy access to the 4 main bridges, the beaches and the interstate.

Our beds were replaced last year and they are so very comfy!!! Our hotel will be fully renovated in this fall and the sofa bed mattresses will be replaced at that time.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, we hope that you will come visit us again.

Ct
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have stayed in many Marriott hotels of different sorts. This is now one of my personal favorites. Michelle checked us in, and was very patient with me in finding the best, quietest location for us. The back of the second building suited us perfectly--lovely view, and quiet. Our room was very clean, comfortable and cozy. I can imagine staying here for several weeks quite comfortably. The kitchen was very well stocked and convenient--certainly the equal of many New York city apartments!

Quibbles: the connecting door to an adjoining room allowed noise to filter through, and conversations to be overheard.

There is a trade-off here--the breakfast is as advertised--a continental breakfast only. There were two kinds of fresh fruit, juice, several cereals, and muffins. One can make instant oatmeal with several toppings. There are only two small tables in the lobby for breakfast, but this is more than there were at the other TownePlace Suites we stayed in. I was happy with the roomier suite, low rate, and less choice for breakfast.

The staff were friendly and helpful, without exception, especially Michelle. The desk has pre-printed directions to many stores and restaurants--very efficient and useful. Cheddars' Casual Cafe (recommended by staff) a few blocks away was a terrific restaurant, although noisy and crowded at a peak time.

This hotel was centrally located and accessible for everywhere we needed to go--stores, restaurants, Tampa, main highways.

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for the kind words and sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. Michelle has been with the hotel for several years and is just a delightful lady; I am very lucky to have her on the team.

Glad to hear that you like Cheddar's, that is one of my personal favorites. There are so many wonderful restaurants in our area, but Cheddar's is till my favorite.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will come back see us!

Grant
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the Christmas holidays. We were impressed that the staff was available to give us full service even on Christmas Eve and Christmas day even though they were a skeleton crew to allow workers to be home with their families. We told them that we were fine and didn't need any service and they gave us double coffee and such in the room to accommodate us.
We appreciate that high standard of excellence that the Marriott chain maintains throughout.
We will be staying at one of the Marriott hotels in the future.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I greatly appreciate your flexability with our limited crew on Christmas Day. The bulk of the staff have small children and Christmas is such a wonderful holiday to share with little ones.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again.

Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were in town to go to Busch Gardens. This location is 30 mins away from the Park but in the area we wanted to be, and close to the 275 freeway to quickly get where we needed to go. It has a warm & cozy "homey" feel and is tucked away off the busy roadway. We were pleasantly surprised to have a nice view of a pretty pond from the back window! I got an extremely good rate (but found out that due to it being Thanksgiving there'd be no maid service, which was probably why... but I was ok with that)...so overall very happy with this Marriott bargain. Bed was sooo comfy, fluffy pillows, nice sheets, etc., kitchen was great, all was clean, working, etc. Even Santa was staying there! It seemed pretty full yet it was overall quiet. And people were cooking turkeys which made the hallways smell so yummy! Would definitely stay here again someday...great value.

Room Tip: choose the building in the back, facing the pond, 3rd floor (has elevators)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager65, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Valued Guests,
I am so glad to hear the you enjoyed your holiday stay at the TownePlace Suite and I appreciate you taking the time to share comments with Trip Advisor.

Our location is very popular due to the location and the easy access to all major roadways and the I-275.

Santa is big fan of TownePlace Suites and pays us a visit every year. If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you stay with us again!

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 5 November 2013

ABSOLUTE VALUE FOR MONEY !!!

I like Tampa, its was my third trip. My team (3 folks) was stationed in Townplace for a project over 2 months. Initially i wasnt sure of the place but thought should give it a try specially since team was staying there. I stayed in Towneplace for 2 weeks and must say it was a very good experience.

Location: Very quite, opposite a small lake and away from city hustle/bustle . Its far from the clearwater beach but driving makes the job easy. Parking (open) is adequate and the place right off of Ulmerton Road.

Rooms: Nice and spacious rooms, great place for short stay, well equipped Kitchenett, full sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, and coffee maker, descent bathroom, good bed and therefore sound sleep

Wifi: Great speed, absolutely no issues at all.

Staff: Excellent front desk, amazing folks. Special thanks to Mike Linder, who made my stay truly a great experience. I was looking for skydiving options and Mike helped me select the right location and also got me a good groupon deal. If it wasnt for him, not sure i would have gone for sky diving.

Breakfast: Grab and Go kinds, nothing much to talk about.

If you are a tourist, there are multiple options near the clearwater beach for stay. If you are looking for short stay option, pls close your eyes and go ahead with this place.

Room Tip: Definately the place for short term stay, if you Drive.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay in Clearwater. It's always nice to hear that we were able to exceed our guest's expectations.

Although we specialize in long-term stays, our hotel is very popular with short-term stays and families on vacation due to our area and it's easy access to the beaches, bridges and I-275.

If you return to the Clearwater area, please come stay with us again!

Chandler
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

When I had to fly to Fl for a family emergency, I didn't know how long I would be staying or if other out-of-town family would be joining me. The front desk staff were so friendly, sympathetic and accommodating. The rooms I occupied were both very clean and well stocked with towels and kitchen supplies. The price was very reasonable. The gym was small but well equipped. Parts of the common areas need some updating but management said they were scheduled for a remodel soon. Definitely would try another TownePlace hotel. Very impressed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay; I just wish it was under better circumstances. I have shared your comments with the team as they are always please to know that we exceeded expectations.

We are so excited about our upcoming renovations! If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again and enjoy our fresh new look.