“Staff very friendly and helpful”

Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater
Ranked #29 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Staff very friendly and helpful”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had a nice experience with this hotel, even though it started off rocky. My reservation dates were wrong, due to my company who booked them. My boss had mixed up the weeks, I travel a lot. Even though I was very frustrated and the hotel was quite full, Jake at the front desk was very busy, but he made time to help me get my future reservations correct and took care of my current reservations.

It took some doing to book a room through the entire week for me because they were sold out on one day. He made phone calls to an other hotel and told me he would continue to assist in getting me situated. It turns out that someone had cancelled a couple of rooms and Jake called me right away to let me know the good news. I was very relieved and grateful for all of the effort he put into making sure I had a room and that I had everything I needed. He was working very closely with a Housekeeper who I think was in charge of the department. She kept giving Jake updates and made sure that my room was cleaned first because I was so tired. I think her name started with an E? She was very nice as well and concerned for my comfort. Very nice crew you have there at the hotel...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK -

Room Tip: sign up for the shuttle for any transportation needs you have - they can get busy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear LanaB,
Greetings from the staff at the Holiday Inn! Thank you so much for your great review! It is refreshing to see that our hard work is starting to pay off. I am proud of Jake and Espy for exceeding your expectations and making your experience a positive one. We have shared your review with our team. We look forward to you visiting us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We read all the reviews on this property and generally have to agree with most of the positive reviews. Most of the staff here is very good or excellent. The breakfast is better than your average "breakfast included" properties. The bed is comfortable and room is clean (there was no mold or pests here and none was expected). Now for the bad: promised the Tampa Bay newspaper - didn't happen. Advertise corned beef hash at breakfast - not there (claimed they were all out but we know better having stayed here 3 nights). Our room was noisy - no, not the airplanes (that is not a problem - you're near an airport - we weren't expecting the serene location of our home). There was some bizarre humming most of the night After night two we realized we must be hearing the droning of another room's A/C ALL NIGHT - it stopped approximately 30 minutes before the first jet took off from the airport at the crack of dawn - most welcome. We would have asked to change rooms except for the fact that changing rooms once you are ensconced is just inconvenient and a waste of our time. And then there is the noise of the bathroom fan which cannot be shut off if you need the light on in the bathroom. That factor alone is disturbing, particularly if there is more than one person in the room (someone gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night - right?) then the spouse is up too. But - The wifii connection is great. Most of the staff is great. The Bell Captain at 8:00 a.m. on March 28th went over and above his duties to help us get directions to a location (amazing) - wish we remembered his name but we would recognize him in a second, Tom (shuttle driver) was also amazing. He was always friendly, helpful and had a great attitude - eventhough we only asked for directions and information but never used the shuttle. There was a specific gentleman at the front desk on the evening of the 28th that helped me change large bills into smaller ones and then provided me with a box of kleenex for my husband who was lying sick in bed. He was so courteous and gracious that I wish I remembered his name to mention him. The staff is what makes an average hotel good and this is a prime example. Anyone who has travelled as much as we have will attest to this. Don't be afraid to book this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PROSCALER
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Proscaler,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. Please know I shared each of your comments with our department heads. I apologize that someone promised you Tampa bay newspaper. We only provide complimentary USA Today., If the kitchen runs out of an item, it is to be removed from offer board. Ac's. I am working on replacing and am at the mercy of our revenue so this will take some time. the Staff.....Thank you so much. In the short time I have been here, service has been my focus and I glad that it is finally shining through. My favorite part of your review was "The staff is what makes an average hotel good and this is a prime example" This has been my motto since I got here. Thanks for the confirmation. We look forward to welcoming you back.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week. During my stay I was amazed at the customer service and attention to detail that the hotel staff provided. The rooms were very clean and the staff was always helpful. The lobby also has a fun little bar with great staff!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ryan T
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Ryan T,
Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for recognizing the service of our staff as well as the attention to detail. Thank you for mentioning our sports pub. We do monthly fun events there. Hope you got a chance to have fun for St. Patrick's Day with the events in the pub. We look forward to welcoming you back anytime.
Mississauga
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg N., in Clearwater in March 2014. We booked the hotel for three nights, then read the reviews. We were a bit worried about what we were getting into. However, to anyone reading these reviews before their trip, rest assured it is a nice hotel and you have nothing to worry about.
Staff- We were greeted by wonderful people at the front desk. They were very friendly and welcoming. Over the course of our stay, we saw them helping other people with many issues, most of which were not their fault. They were very accommodating and went out of their way to solve people's problems, which really, they didn't need to, and could have dismissed easily.
Room- Our room was clean, modern, and comfortable. The furniture was modern, and looked brand new, without a single scratch. The beds were comfortable. They had 4 pillows each, with varying firmness. The bathroom was clean, the towels were plush and clean, the toiletries were from Bath and Body Shop.
Grounds- The exterior property was well maintained. The trees, and landscape were well groomed and maintained. There was no garbage. We always found parking close to the front door. The interior was equally well maintained. The lobby and all halls were modern, clean and well maintained.
Pool and Hot Tub- We took a look, but did not use these facilities, as we wanted to go out and do other things. These facilities were clean, and well maintained, and there was always a neat stack of pool towels readily available.
Breakfast- Our room package included breakfast. It was probably the best breakfast that we have ever seen at a Holiday Inn, and we have stayed at many. However...there were some annoying issues here. There were 5 baseball teams staying at the hotel while we were there. They were composed of teenaged boys. They too had breakfast included. When they came in, they cleaned out the buffet and left it empty. They also dirtied all the tables and left no tips. There was always one server/waiter/waitress assigned to at least 20 tables, and one woman who appeared to be the manager. They appeared to be flustered and overworked and just gave up. Understandably, they were overwhelmed with work, and were not making any tips. There should have been more staff to work with this crowd. Holiday Inn knew they were going to have 5 baseball teams staying there, and they should have had more staff working. They also knew that there would be teenagers on these teams and should have charged a service fee to compensate for the tips for the staff. However, the staff also needs retraining. Every time they enter the kitchen, they should be taking dirty dishes with them. Every time they leave the kitchen they should be bringing out either more food, or clean dishes. They should not be walking empty handed ever in this situation. They should not be standing in the back chatting with the cook, when there are customers waiting, with no clean tables, and no food in the buffet. It is not the fault of the other people who are staying at the hotel, that the baseball teams are overwhelming them. The problem should have been resolved after the first day when they realized that the situation was not working. If you are staying at this hotel and plan to have breakfast here, know that the food is very good, and the staff have the potential to be nice, but make sure there aren't 5 sport teams staying here when you are.
Location- There are many restaurants near by. It is located very close to the PIE airport (St. Petersburg/Clearwater). The beaches are about 10-15minutes away by car, depending on traffic.
Overall, we really liked the hotel and our stay here was pleasant and a positive experience. We would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank cubatourist
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear cubatourist,

Thank you So much for your first paragraph. On behalf of the entire staff we want to thank you. We are a new team of less than 3 months and are working very hard to change all negative to positive. I like how you broke up the review by section. I hope future guests appreciate that as much as we do. I understand your frustration with the teams consuming the buffet. Our F & B Director has been instructed that moving forward all teams must have a separate location for the teams as not to interfere with other guests in the hotel. I have also have him reviewing the skill level and service of the restaurant staff. Again thank you so much for taking the time to be detailed. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We recenlty stayed here on a Saturday night in February. The staff was disorganized and not friendly or helpful! They didn't inform us of much of anything! Not whether or not breakfast was included, which we found out the next day, it wasn't. They didn't even tell us where our room was or how to get to it! The whole time that I was at the front desk the phone kept ringing, and the lady, Carol ?? ( I asked someone at the front desk for her name the next day) kept answering it, and dealt with the phone call instead of with me. The young lady who originally dealt with me was relieved so she could have dinner, so Carol took over, but soon because of her dealing with all the phone calls, there was a line-up and the young lady had to step back up to the desk. The young lady then served 3 people while I still waited to be looked after by Carol. Very unprofessional service!
We informed her that we had a dog with us and she said that the pet fee is $50. This is the most that we have ever paid ANYWHERE, EVER!! It is an outrageous amount!
Our dog is clean (short-haired) has her own bed, and doesn't sleep in human beds. SO there is no need for such a rediculously expensive fee!
We were on a 3 week trip down to the Keys and even there we didn't pay $50 for the dog.
I would never stay at this hotel again, they were actually downright unfriendly to us.
Very expensive hotel and not worth it! The room was mediocre, nothing special!
The planes flying overhead were loud. All around the place has nothing that I would want to see again! We were actually very upset that we even stayed there, and spent So Much money on that room! (Room #110) Total spent for one night $177.68 U.S.
We stay at Holiday Inns often, but this was the worst one ever!!
The fire-alarm went off at 7 a.m. or so, nice wake-up call on a Sunday morning, EXTREMELY LOUD, and for about 10 - 15 minutes before thay figured out how to shut it off. Someone's child probably pulled the fire alarm ?? Our hearing was most certainly damaged forever!

Room Tip: Good Luck!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KayPea P
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear KayPeaP,
Thank you for providing feedback on your experience while visiting the hotel. I feel I should address each of your points to help clarify a few things. First I apologize that you felt the staff was disorganized and not friendly or helpful. The hotel has a new Guest Service Manager that will address training, and coaching and to ensure the hotel has the right staff. There is a difference of a full service hotel and a limit service hotel. Holiday Inn does not include breakfast as a full service hotel but you can book a package deal that includes room and breakfast. A holiday Inn Express is a limit service hotel that does include breakfast. As a AAA does not include breakfast we could have informed you that there is a restaurant on site and the breakfast options available to you. Our front desk agent should have definitely directed you to your room. We have addressed your concerns with Carol as well as hotel policy. She will be coached and retrained by our new Guest Service Manager and evaluate her capabilities as a front desk agent. The Pet Fee. We are market appropriate in our fees. Our website does state our pet policy and she informed you up front. You had an option to go to another hotel at this point but agreed to the pet fee. All pet rooms must be cleaned differently as other guests may have allergies, so the added fee covers the additional cleaning. Our fees are actually very affordable., Others in the area are $75 - $150 non-refundable. We wish all dogs were as clean and did not sleep in beds as yours. In addition most hotels do not allow pets anymore. You stated our hotel was expensive, First I will say our rates are market appropriate for our area and my advice if you want cheaper rates, do not travel in this area during the peak times of January through March. If you travel outside those months you will be able to find cheaper rates. Planes and noise? You did book with us at an AIRPORT HOTEL. The airport is less than 1 mile. In the future do not book a hotel next to an airport. As far as the Fire Alarm, yes an inconvenience but even JW Marriott's sometimes have fire alarms go off. I am glad that the alarm works in case of a real emergency. Overall as always feedback is always good as it gives the hotel a chance to explain negative situation and address, as well as set the record straight from unfair accusations. We wish you all the best in your travels and thank you for bringing your front desk experience to my attention so we were able to address it immediately. Again my apologies.
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed three nights for a business trip. The room was somewhat clean. Clean enough that we chose not to move. The air conditioner never seemed to work properly as the room, and everything in it, was always damp. They say they are a green hotel yet there were no towel bars in the bathroom. Where do you hang towels so you can reuse them? The breakfast included in the room was very good. Not your normal continental but a variety of hot and cold foods. Staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: Don't chose a first floor room. We were on the end by an exit and smokers kept using this exit...
Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevin B
Dear Kevin B.,
I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us. Great Tip! We are a non-smoking hotel so guests that smoke do request first floor by door. As a non-smoker definitely choose a higher floor not next to an exit. I apologize you found your room less than satisfactory. As guests express their concerns it is our policy to address them right away. Thank you for addressing the towel bar in the rest rooms to hang towels for our reuse program, I am addressing this right away to ensure every room has a place to hang their towels. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We are not as abundant as a limit service property breakfast buffet but try to offer the basics with added options. I am pleased you found the staff to be pleasant. We are working towards putting the guest first. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our room was fit for Royalty! Anything you needed was in your room or in the Hotel.

The bar/restaurant had amazing food. Pizza was delicious and the bartender even carried our drinks to the room since our hands were full of pizza.

There is an outdoor pool and a hot tub for your enjoyment.

Parking is close no matter which room you stay in.

Wifi signal is strong so, no downtime. We even watched the Horse Races in our room on my laptop without signal interruption.

Lot's of restaurants are in the area and pizza delivery too.

The Indian Rock Beach is about 8 minutes away in non peak time in peak time the drive is about a well worth the drive 30 minutes. The beach was so beautiful a little cool the day we went but still beautiful.

Room Tip: Just enjoy all of the amenities of this fabulous hotel. The rooms are very large and easy to enjoy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles F
Dear Charles F,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. I am please you found the positive side of the hotel amenities. It is nice for our future guests to see different points of views from different guests experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.