“Very pleasant surprise”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manteno, IL
“Very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I had been in Tampa and one day left with no reservation so I decided to use Priority Club points for a free room. I was not sure I wanted to stay over the bridge and I stayed here 30 years ago, so worried about the state of the hotel. I was very surprised. This was a Holiday Inn Select in the past so it was nicer Holiday Inn. They did a real nice job renovating. You can tell it is an old hotel, but the upgrades were done in good taste. My night was free and still got a free breakfast and drink. Staff was very friendly. Free wifi. Someone mentioned strip clubs in the area. Well it is Florida.... There is one down the street, but I came from Westshore where their is one next to ever nice hotel. I can not believe how little time it took to get there. Actually it is a great place to get. Took me 10 minutes or less to get to the Tampa airport and you do not have to worry about the Tampa traffic. Would definitely stay here again and probably will.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Austin
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I recently stayed here and had a wonderful stay. It was very quiet, clean and the staff was very helpful/friendly. Also it has easy access to the main highways and interstates to get to places in Tampa or the surrounding areas. I would definitely stay here again when I visit that area again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn this
past week because my company was holding a seminar in a few of the meeting rooms all day. After great banquet service and the food, I would rate this hotel an A+! It was such a refreshing change from
the previous hotels I go to! With meeting our company's every need and the new renovations this hotel has gone thru, I would most likely pick this hotel on ulmerton road than any other in the area!

• Stayed September 2010
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend for our daughter's softball tournament. Eveyone we met was polite and helpful. The kids had a great time in the pool and really liked breakfast in the morning. The next time we are back in the area, we will definitely be staying.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
new jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2010

While I was in the US Army I slept in every dingy hole the world could offer.Now that I can choose,I would choose this place,Clean.Some other poster complained about he airport,yeah heard some noise,but no big deal.Some other poster makes reference to strip clubs.Those clubs wee over two miles away,so all I can tell you is that that poster must have been to all of them,and they were hard ro find.Didn't Shakespeare say"ME thinks though doth protesteth too much",.The area where the hotel is is anything but sleazy.Plenty of shopping,stores,flea markets,movies,and interstate roads.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
bsauerwine, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Petersburg North / Clearwater, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Clearwater and pointing out some false statements in previous reviews. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and please come back and see us soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We looked for a reasonably priced hotel for a long weekend in Clearwater. The hotel is 10 miles from the beautiful white, sugar sands of the Gulf beach. It also happens to be at the begining of the runway for the smaller St Pete-Clearwater airport. Fortunately it is not as busy an airport as the Tampa International we flew into. The hotel itself is actually nice and the rooms were very clean. We asked for a mini-frig and they supplied it at no charge. We saw only one table occupied in the lobby restaurant once during our entire stay. The outdoor pool is not heated and the noise of the jets taking off shocks you as you sit in the hot tub. A nice amenity located by the pool is a coin-operated washer and dryer. A Dollar Rental car desk is located in the lobby too and the attendant was very kind to help us during a rainstorm when we found our rental car (a competitor) battery was dead. All in all, if you want to save money and are willing to drive to everything, this is a good value. If being near the beach is more important, there is another Holiday Inn much closer.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed here just for the one night before our flight back from St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport. We checked in very late after a full day at Busch Gardens in Tampa. The front desk personnel were spectacular! Even though we were very tired they were happy to see us and offered any assistance necessary. We told them we had to be at the airport by five o'clock and wouldn't be there long. Instantly the gentleman offered to setup our wake-up call so that we wouldn't forget to call them when we got settled in the room. Excellent customer service. They offered us a non-smoking room with a king sized bed, even though we booked through Priceline and were not guaranteed such. Additionally, he asked if there were any other special requests we would like to make. He found us a mid-corridor room away from the ice machine and elevator so that we would sleep well.

The hotel was spotlessly clean, recently renovated, and offered a choice of restaurant options. In the room there was a choice of soft or firm pillows and it was well appointed, stocked, and very clean. This is absolutely the cleanest and friendliest Holiday Inn we have ever stayed at.

Highly recommended at any price and kudos to the wonderful staff there.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple