“Not For Families - Terrible Experience”

Candlewood Suites Clearwater
Ranked #60 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not For Families - Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We visit Clearwater every year for Phillies Spring Training and will NEVER stay here again! Awful. Rude. Run down.

When we arrived exhausted at 1 am, we were told the non-smoking room we reserved was not available, and the smoke smell in the smoking room was extremely strong. We opened the windows for ventilation, but the traffic kept the family awake all night. We stayed for three nights and a non-smoking room never became available. Also, most rooms only have one bed and there are NO COTS AVAILABLE. Our fourteen-year-old son slept on the dirty carpet. When we tried to correct the situation with management, they were unsympathetic, rude and made absolutely no effort to help - explaining that because cots were not mentioned on the website we should assume cots were not available. Nowhere on the site does it say "Candlewood Suites does not provide cots." This is definitely not a place for families or anyone looking for a good night's sleep. Stay away.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Philly_Walker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 17 March 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a week over the Christmas holiday. We thought this hotel was perfect for a long term stay, and had fantastic service. We give this hotel our strongest endorsement.

We blind booked this through Hotwire, and got a very affordable weekly rate. We saw that the reviews had some recent negative comments, but we had no problems with the facility. The hotel is located near the Clearwater airport, which was important to us. When we checked in, the clerk noticed that my wife was advanced in her pregnancy, and immediately offered to bring us extra pillows without us having to ask. The thoughtfulness was appreciated. Throughout the week, the clerks continued to make sure that my wife was comfortable. Also, the front desk had plenty of DVDs that one could borrow at no charge.

The room had everything you'd expect from an extended stay style hotel - a fridge, stove, and microwave, as well as a lazy boy and DVD player with the TV. All were newer and well kept. The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel also had a pool, but it was out of operation during our stay so that the fence could be upgraded. There was also a patio with a grill.

Overall, it was a great stay, and we hope to return.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Publius2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2011

For what we paid for this hotel, we were more than happy! We went down to see some Toronto Blue Jays spring training games & were pleased that the park was less than a 20 minute drive. We were also central to a lot of good places to eat, as well as shopping. Our view was of the storage places next door, but we weren't there to look out the window, so we didn't mind at all. The only drawback was that the room had only one queensized bed, and we asked to be moved to a room with 2 we were told all rooms had only one, some had a pullout, but they were all booked. We hadn't known this ahead of time, but it ended up not being an issue. Having a full kitchen was a bonus, and if we needed fresh towels we just turned ours in at front desk. No maid service for a week, but once again, that fit in our plans just fine. Staff was super friendly & helpful. The place was clean, although the central halls had a bit of a musty smell. The air conditioner in our room froze us at times, but again not an issue. For anyone on a budget, I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank tricia451
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I know, some of the people who adored this place will be stunned to see that title, but it's true. We arrived at the hotel after half a day of traveling. And we were disappointed before we even checked in. Don't let the well-angled photos on Priceline fool you, the pool is not very big and I believe it don't pass 5 1/2 feet in depth. It's fine to take the kids to but as a group of adults traveling together, it wasn't great.

The manager checked us in and while my parents had questions about why the pool was so small and what do you mean you have no continental breakfast? They were very short in their answers. The place smells. From the minute you walk into the front doors, you smell it. They require you to put a credit card or cash up front in case you take anything from their store so they can bill you. I believe this goes toward cleaning fees they may need to charge too. But at first glance of the rooms, they were okay. The kitchen area is cute, the dishes were in fact clean, and I checked the bed for bedbugs and didn't find any. The carpets are stained from God knows what, but the bathroom was clean and everything seemed okay at first.

The smell got to me after a couple of days. It was horrible and it was constant. We were in a non smoking area but it still smelled like smoke and like something had died. Maybe it was whatever someone constantly cooked somewhere, but it was nasty. On our second to last day, my parents were getting ready for bed and spotted a big old cockroach on their bathroom door. A BIG one. My dad was locked in the bathroom running after it with a can and when he finally caught it, he took it downstairs where the clerk told him he doesn't handle bugs. After some arguing with Priceline and the management, we got one or two nights rate back for one room.

Bottom line is, it's not worth the "low rate". We've stayed at La Quinta in Clearwater and it was a LOT nicer than this place. They need to stop using their being an extended stay hotel as an excuse for poor service, lack of cleanliness and false advertising.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank sharizard
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I am a coach and traveled from TN to KY to attend the University of KY bb camp. When I arrived at my hotel in Lexington, Ky they had given 2 of my rooms to other guest. I was holding 6 on my credit card. They said "It's like airline tickets, first come first serve." I had to load my team and their luggage and find a place at 9 that night across town. They never let me speak with a manager that night or when I called back from my new hotel. I called a corporate office when I got back home and they were going to send a letter. I have yet to receive an apology or speak w/ a manager. BEWARE don't have faith that your room will be there when you get there. No matter how far you traveled or how many are in your party.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank tnis1
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We were staying at the Candlewood Suites Clearwater while our house was being re-tiled. We were originally scheduled to arrive on a Sunday night, but because of problems with the house, we had to check in two days early. Instead of modifying the original reservation, they created a separate reservation for two nights in addition to the original reservation – which itself created issues later.
The room was a renovated studio suite – although the kitchen and bathroom portions were not. They were the original cabinets and the bathroom cabinets looked water damaged as the laminate covering looked like it was bubbling up off the door fronts. The refrigerator also dripped water from where the cold air came out. So much so that we had to mop it up with some towels twice during our stay. The kitchen itself had a small sink with a garbage disposal and an electric stove with two burners. There was also a microwave oven and a small coffee maker. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, utensils, toaster, etc. Although there were only two of everything (plates, forks, knives, glasses). The room also included an iron and ironing board.
The room portion had a large desk that was very wobbly. However there were two chairs, one of which was large and comfortable and adjustable. The other was just a plain chair that we used only when eating dinner. There was also a combo dvd/vcr in the room. The bed was a queen sized bed that was VERY comfortable. There was a large alarm clock/cd combo as well. For storage, the TV stand had three large drawers and there was a large closet. In addition to the desk and two chairs, there was a large, leather recliner which was very comfortable. The only thing missing was a sofa. I've stayed at many extended-stay type properties and this was the first without a sofa. Apparently only there one-bedroom units have sofas, and those are limited.
While the room was very clean (I am usually meticulous about this), there was a distinct smell the entire week. It was like a combination of curry and mold. It got better as the week went by.
I was very impressed with the amenities offered here --- free daily USA Today if you’re a Priority Club member; free coffee in “The Cupboard” which was actually pretty good; free movies on DVD from the front desk (24 hour check out limit); free use of the laundry facilities if you use your own detergent. We paid a VERY reasonable rate for the room, and to have all that included was a very pleasant surprise.
Another aspect I like was “The Cupboard”. This is basically a small area of snacks, frozen & refrigerated foods, and toiletry essentials. Each thing was on a shelf with a specific price. They work on the honor system. You take what you need, fill out a slip of paper with your total, suite #, and signature, put it in the slot, and your room is billed. VERY convenient.
Also, the fitness center was definitely one of the better ones I’ve seen at properties like this – multiple treadmills, workout machines, and free weights.
As I mentioned earlier, we had to make a separate reservation for showing up early. This created problems in that our room keys were deactivated three separate times during the week. The problem with this (besides having to make extra trips to the front desk) is that we had our dogs with us. They were staying in their crates. When they heard us trying to get into the room and our keys didn’t work, they went wild, barking like crazy. Three separate times this happened and I’m sure the people in the hallway were thrilled.
Overall – this property has a lot of things going for it. But it looks like it wasn’t a complete renovation. That in and of itself didn’t stop me, because it was definitely clean. I would stay here again – the price can’t be beat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mkirch72
Reviewed 2 December 2009

A friend of mine picked out this hotel for a one night stay after our Disney trip because we were flying out of Clearwater the next day. I booked three rooms at a very good price. We should have paid attention to the bad reviews here on tripadvisor. Usually the bad reviews are a bit overstated so we figured everything would be fine. There are several good reviews so we thought we would be in good shape. WRONG.

Pros of the hotel:
Close to Clearwater airport
Clean beds(I checked them stem to stern)
Clean bathroom (with very nice towels)

Cons of the hotel:
Front desk staff. - I prepaid for the rooms, We showed up to check in and the clerk was asking me if I prepaid because "one room is showing not paid" She handed me print outs to inital and sign that clearly stated "PRE PAID". Hello!?!?! I didn't worry about it. I don't stress about things like that because we travel a lot and we have never had problems. However after I got home I was charged again for only one room. I called and and explained. After being on hold for 10 minutes the lady gets back on the phone and says you must have checked out late.... so it was charged again. Funny.... I told her. We boarded a plane at 6 a.m. We checked out in plenty of time I would say. I will admit that once I started to get upset she apologized and took the charge off. She seemed to be on the ball and she did apologize. In addition to all this, I told the front desk staff early the next morning that our room smelled like smoke. I said it was NOT us and I do not want to be charged the cleaning fee. He didn't look one bit surprised and said "oh I will go and spray it." Thats all. No apology....nothing. Granted I didn't complain the night before, but I expected him to seem surprised but he wasn't. That to me says a lot.

the rooms: (or at least two of the three rooms we had)
Two of the rooms in our group of three smelled HORRIBLY of smoke!!!! We requested non-smoking. It was disgusting. The carpet in our suite had huge, madded stains. It was really gross. I kept my shoes on. ugh!

The filthy carpet and the huge stench of smoke, coupled with the overcharge and then not knowing why, are huge deal breakers for me. I will never stay here again and would never recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2009