“Not a good stay at all!”

Candlewood Suites Clearwater
Ranked #61 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I travel alot and stay in a lot of Candlewood Suites. I was so excited to see that there was one in Clearwater, as I am in the area at least once a month. It was a complete disappointment. The staff was so unfriendly and their night staff looked like I had woke him up when I checked in around midnight. He didn't explain anything about the property to me, basically just handed me the keys. I had to ask how to get to my room! The room was dirty. I had to clean the bathroom and kitchen before I could use it. We went to the pool the next day and it was AWFUL! My daughter didnt want to move in the pool because it was so dirty. We checked out a pool towel and when we went to open it at the pool, it had some type of brown substance on it. It was hideous! When I took it to the front desk agent, all he said was, "Sorry". Seriously??? I will NEVER stay here again and dont recommend it for anyone, whether traveling with family or on business.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Jaime C

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Looks recently renovated. Clean rooms with nice finishes. Low pet fees. Not in the most scenic neighborhood but I guess it caters to business travelers rather than pleasure seekers. Staff helpful if a bit impersonal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Earthan
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel on three different occasions as I was searching to purchase a house in the area. On my third stay, I booked online, through Expedia, Travelocity or Hotwire--can't recall which, but the transaction was NOT done through Candlewood's reservation system. I checked in the hotel, stayed six nights, and when I went to my room on the seventh day, my key wouldn't work. I went down to the front desk, and was told that my reservation was for six days, not seven. I booked the hotel after I'd booked my flight, so I know that I needed seven nights stay. It must have been a typo. At any rate, the front desk attendant told me that I would have to pay FULL price for the room for the seventh night, which was $40.00 MORE per night than I'd paid for the previous six nights. I felt given the fact I'd stayed there for a total of 21 nights during the past two months, it would have been common courtesy to offer me the last night at the same price. She refused and so I ended up paying the additional $40.00. I have NOT stayed at Candlewood again, I would not advise people to support a business that doesn't care about customer loyalty. I now stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites down the road, and have found their hotel much cleaner and more importantly the staff more courteous and professional.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank EllieMa
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Arrived late, stroppy blue finger nailed staff forced us to pay $25 just incase we got up in the night & took food from a self service shop (that relied on your honesty & filing in a form to say what you had taken & then paying in the morning).
We opened the door to our room & it was obviously unmade, we thought someone was actually in there!
Our second room was great, clean, well equipped, perhaps the best to date.
We did get our deposit back the next day & morning staff much better.
The deposit thing would put us off using this chain again, or at least the way its staff enforce it like drones.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Booked a trip thru travel agent for king size no smoking. When we get there they tell us all we have is a smoking double. After arguing and calling out travel ageant,we are told. Well you should have booked it thru our site. Your non smoking would have been guaranteed then. The corporate office told us that threu a travel agent they only guarantee a room not the choice of the people coming to stay. Guess I do not have to say. I will never stay at a Candlewood Suites or any Holiday Inn affiliated Hotel ever again.

Room Tip: If you want a good tip. Do not stay here
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank hokies13vt
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Booked one night to stay in Clearwater and then planned on going to Bradenton. Newly furnished room and kitchen was so nice and clean. The kitchen even had a dishwaher. There were free washers and dryers, an exercise room, and an honor pantry where you could buy soda, candy, popcorn, frozen foods, ice cream... all at VERY reasonable prices. We decided to stay an extra 2 days and cancel our other reservation.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

My husband, dog, and I had been driving for about 16 hours moving down here. We arrived about 4:30am, too early to check in and unable to even recline our seats because our car was so packed. The first attendant told us to check back after 7 (although I didn't explain our situation to him). When we came back at 7 am the new attendant was so nice. She gave us a card and said to call at 10. We watched the sunrise over Clearwater Beach despite our exhaustion and came back at 10. She worked us into a room right away! The studio suite is perfect complete even with dish towels, Rubbermaid containers, a pitcher and even a dishwasher. There is a common cupboard with food for the taking, with an honor based charge system. (Who has something like that anymore?) There are plenty of feee washers and dryers. The rooms have been remodeled this year and are up to date, clean and well furnished!! The staff is very friendly and helpful! The owner seems to be thoughtful and caring. There is even a radio in the fitness room. Our AAA rate made this the cheapest option available (pet friendly). I would very highly recommend this extended stay hotel and I'm picky!

• Stayed: October 2012