“Delicious, but....”

Bascom's Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Bascom's Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 755 Restaurants in Clearwater
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Bascom's Chop house is a comfortable, yet elegant American restaurant.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I chose this restaurant for a birthday dinner with my fiance (who's a serious carnivore). Making reservations online was a breeze, we were greeted and seated right away. The sitting arrangement was awkward - our table for 2 was squeezed right next to a large table of 12 guys, and besides feeling crowded it was loud. I can get past that. The food was super - the prime rib is outstanding, to is the filet mignon. These items are a la carte, meaning you pay separately for the side dishes - 6.- for a side of garlic mashed potatoes (yikes!!!) and the same price for spinach gratin (which was heavy on the side of nutmeg and baked with gorgonzola, which needs to be added to the menu's description, as not everyone likes this kind of cheese!!!). The biggest gripe (if any) I had is with the service. Our waiter (Joe? Older gentleman) seemed in a bad mood, was rather short with us and almost never to be seen. He read the specials from a card that was already on the table, and thank you, but I can read myself. A good waiter in such a good restaurant should have these 4 items memorized, period. All in all it was a good experience nonetheless, but it has to be a very special occasion before I'll return.

Paul B, Managing Partner at Bascom's Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thanks for joining us for your serious carnivore's birthday! While I love hearing that you and your party enjoyed your meals, I wish that your experience with your server had been equally pleasant. I'll look into it at my next opportunity. We have a reputation of providing excellent service, so I hope you'll give us a chance to show you that on your next visit.

Paul B. , Managing Partner

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Seafood was good, BUT it was very expensive! There are so many good places to get good sea food around this area I wouldn't make this a common "go to" spot. For my one time visit there it was good, but I wouldn't go back because of the price. BUT... I can now say I've been there. :)

Paul B, Managing Partner at Bascom's Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Sorry you found us a bit pricey, Quita! We think our prices are pretty competitive for the area, but if you're looking to save a little, it's more affordable to come see us for lunch -- our fresh fish and seafood dishes run from about $12-$15 at that time! How does that sound?

Hope to see you soon,
Paul B. , Managing Partner

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was searching for a great steak place to take some good friends for a birthday celebration. This place exceeded my expectations. The ambiance, the quality of the food, the waiter (Craig -you`re the best) were perfect. I expected a lot of noise, so I asked for a quiet corner. They provided us with a special corner that filled the bill perfectly. The weekend specials starting on Friday night are a great deal. Our queen cut prime rib with large salad and huge loaded baked potato was only $23.95. We had enough to take home for another large meal. We plan on returning very soon.

Paul B, Managing Partner at Bascom's Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

I love hearing that we were able to go above and beyond for you! We're so lucky to have Craig -- I'll definitely let him know that you mentioned him in your review. Thanks for giving others a heads-up about our specials. Hope to have you and yours back for another celebration soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I like how reservations can be made through Open Table. Granted I dined by myself, it is nice to make reservations, especially on a Friday night.

The decor and atmosphere of the restaurant is very inviting and the service is remarkable. My server knew exactly what he was doing and had the menu down pat!

Now when it comes to the food, I can honestly say...IT WAS THE BEST MEAL OF MY LIFE. Between the lobster and the steak, and the key lime pie. All of it was delicious and the steak was so tender, and perfectly seasoned and cooked. The next time I am in the Clearwater area, I will definitely hit up this restaurant again. AMAZING!

Paul B, Managing Partner at Bascom's Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

If it was the best meal of your life, that means you're moving here, right? You weren't kidding about not having one bad thing to say. This is outstanding! Love hearing that your server knew the menu like the back of his hand. We're all looking forward to your next visit to Clearwater!

All the best,

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We reserve Bascom's as a special place, like for birthday or anniversary, because of the prices but it is worth every penny. Excellent food. We were there on 5/17/14 for husband's birthday and everything was perfect - delicious with great service. If you are in mid-Pinellas county and want steak, Bascom's is a must. (I understand there are other things on the menu but I order steak at steakhouse, fish at seafood restaurant, Italian at Italian restaurants, etc.)

Paul B, Managing Partner at Bascom's Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Love hearing that you join us when there's celebration in order, Vickie! Hopefully you tell your server what the special occasion is, but if you haven't in the past, I want to make sure you know that we always give away free desserts for birthdays and anniversaries so your meal can be as sweet as the big day. Happy belated birthday to your husband! We look forward next time.

Until then,