“good start to vacation”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
vancouver bc
“good start to vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Travelling with friend from vancouver, she actually booked 3 nights through RCI. Resort was very well kept, tidy gardens , litter free, quiet & friendly, helpful staff. Apartment was spacious, clean & all we required.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelwise36

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were staying at Summer Bay for our honeymoon recently. I had already read reviews about the sales pitch to buy a timeshare, and we had decided we were going to be a firm no. Upon arrival, you check in and are given your parking permit, which then has to be validated at the concierge desk, which is just a ploy to get you there so they can sell the timeshare pitch. We were ready to say no, and then we were told that it would be 90 minutes (which I doubted), but at the end, we'd be given $100 either towards park tickets (which we already had) or on a MasterCard, so we decided to go. First you get to enjoy the plastic complimentary breakfast. Then we were made to wait until a salesperson arrived. Turned out, the guy who took us around said he was really a vice president and didn't normally do the sales pitch (which was a lie, because we saw him again during the week taking people around). He was very nice until it got to the actual pitch back at the Preview Center. We asked about cost, and he said "I'm not gonna lie, it's expensive", but he wasn't the numbers guy, so he went to the salesman. Came back with some numbers, and as soon as we said no, he got very nasty to us. Then, of course, the sales guy comes back and tries to work us a deal. We told him it sounded good, but we would need a few days to talk about it. His response was that Florida real estate law requires we accept then, because they can't offer the deal later. Are you kidding me???

Then we told him we were leaving and wanted our $100 MasterCard so they sent us to the place to get our gift. Turns out, the $100 could only be used retail - no restaurants, no gas, etc. We were never told there were restrictions - deceptive practices to get you in for the sales pitch, which, by the way, took 2 1/2 hrs., not 90 minutes. BOTTOM LINE, DO NOT GO FOR THE SALES PITCH! IT'S NOT WORTH YOUR TIME.

With that said, the resort is beautiful. We were in a 400 building, which was an older unit, but it was still very nice. They have plenty of activities, particularly if you have kids. The pools are very nice, but the lake/beach was a little disappointing.

The room we had - and I believe most of the rooms - have kitchens. If you plan to cook, it's probably a good idea because eating right on the premises isn't that great. Of course, if you leave the resort and drive down 192, you'll find every restaurant imaginable.,

I would definitely recommend the resort, but say no to the sales pitch! It will ruin your day!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank phillyfilly50
Riverview, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We spent a week in the 500 building. We all loved the activities and the unit was clean and spacous.

The kids loved the pools, the activities, especially holding the alligator.

The beach was a disappointment, but the rest was great value and we'll be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NovaScotiagirl-21
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stay here every year for our annual WDW trip. We book through AFVC so the value is unbeatable. But the resort is amazing. It's not in the busy part of the area so it's quiet and kind of a hidden gem. So many activities and things to do at the resort that we never get to do them all. Condo Rooms are huge with everything you need. Rooms are always clean and well lit. Never have had any issues staying here. We will be back next year. Great place for kids or for adults with no kids. Pools everywhere. Tiki bar. Lots to do. Only takes 10 mins to get to main entrance of WDW.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Ecu_jmw
Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Alright, probably my own fault - Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Stayed three years ago on a timeshare tour, promised one of the new condos, but stuck in one of the old villas (no private patio just plastic chairs outside front door, had to deal with neighbors smoking outside of their's with smoke wafting into our villa). Of course now that Villa is in a sinkhole. Very hard timeshare sell by slimy sales manager, kept us waiting way too long after finally saying no numerous times. Didn't feel that I was treated nicely at all. Sales rep and sales mgr seemed to have little inside jokes at my and my wife's expense.

Fast forward a year and two days after returning from Florida (stayed at Mystic Dunes, great resort), get a call from Summer Bay inviting me back the next summer (a year later). This time I was very specific and voiced my concerns from a year ago. I was promised in writing one of the new condos, was offered a great price ($560 for 7 nights) so I couldn't pass it up. This is a nice resort even though it is far down the 192 corridor and takes forever to get back after a long day at the parks, especially if you go to Universal and not Disney. A year later and after driving 1,000 miles from home, we check in only to be told I'm in a Villa again. I show him my email stating that I was promised a new condo and the front desk manager states that the timeshare people can't offer those. I was told there was nothing he could do knowing that with a car loaded down with my family and suitcases - what am going to do. I had to get very ugly with him and the sales desk associates, something that I didn't like having to do and it made me look like the bad guy in front of all the other guests checking in.

The front desk manager finally found us a room in the new condos, but it was a handicap accessible room. Many of the amenities found in the condo we had to tour were not in this room. No large vanity in the master bath. Worse part, no door separating the toilet from the bed - real nice since my wife likes to read in bed and there I am sitting down with my pants around my ankles waving "Hi Hon" - real romantic!!!!!

Summer Bay is off my list and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeff D
North Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The staff are friendly and check in is easy. The condos are great. Each one is complete with full kitchen, appliances, two tvs, micro. There is a main pool and satellite pools all over the place. There is a small restaurant and two great tiki bars. This place is great for kids. There is a water park for the kids. The vegetation is lush. This is also close to all of the Orlando theme parks. We will be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sctmster
Tipton, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This place is great! The grounds with like 5 pools and a huge lake were just a fraction of what this resort offers. We could have not done anything in the area and been very happy with the many things to do at this resort. We spent many days just relaxing at the pools, grilling out, shopping the roadside fruit and veggie stands and just soaking up Florida outside of Disneyworld. Of course we enjoyed our time there too but the resort was just amazing. I highly recommend going to this resort for safe, enjoyable stays.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Stacey G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Floridays Resort Orlando
#20 of 335 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,710 reviews
Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!