Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Lake Peekskill, NY
“Yuck!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2006

I stayed here for my first-ever trip to Florida, and will never set foot in the state again as a result!

My sister got a "gift" from a friend, which entitled her to one week at this dump. I suppose you get what you pay for! The clientele is a bit ragged, the rooms had paper-thin walls (we stayed in the villas), and the staff was, for the most part, not very accommodating. Cleanliness was also an issue.

We had a family with raucous children above us, and they ran and jumped around for hours at a time, starting very early in the morning, and continuing very late at night. We called to complain, and the best they were able to do is tell us that since we were from the Bronx, we shouldn't be so bothered by the noise, which this staffer assumed was common to Bronxites.

We were lured into a timeshare presentation that was supposed to last 90 minutes, but went on and on and on for three hours, at which point I begged out. We were given a buffet lunch, which was pretty nasty frozen food style salsbury steaks, powdered mashed potatoes, and some wicked canned mixed vegetable stuff. We were promised a break on tickets to various theme parks in Orlando, but when we used the certificates, they did not give the amount of days we were told they did, and wound up wasting a lot of vacation time to save pennies.

I arrived a couple of days early and stayed at a Hojo's down the road. It was a much better experience. And a lot cleaner!

I could go on and on listing all of the problems we had here, but it's just not worth the time and effort to type out.

• Stayed August 2005
29 Thank teachernthehood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2006

I rang to book a great holiday deal on the internet from australia. Summer bay holidays then took money off my credit card without permission with no reservations or details whatsoever. then told me to not to be upset about it. no refund from alan robinson. if this has happened to anyone else email me dotnixo@hotmail.com.au. i would love to hear other stories.

• Stayed December 2005
39 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2006

I believe that this review will not make it on to the site and if it does will not be on the site for long. But i felt it pertinenet that I warn other posiible usesrs of this company of the rude service that I have recived.
Not only will no-one assist you if they feel the company may loose money somehoow but they are personally rude when speaking to you. I Myself work in a call centre and am aware of the ettiquette involved. I was absolutely disgusted when I was told that I could not finish what I was was saying as the reresentraive did not want to hear it. I was also then placed through to a supposed senior manager who advised that I could not load a complaint as he felt the information I was giving was not pertaining to the situation. I was also advised that my query would be investigated when I spoke to the exact same persona a week later he told me that he had no idea what I was talking about. This company will tell you anything to get their hands on your money and get you off the phone and when you ring to confirm details they will advise that it was incorrect and they are sorry. This is selling products to customer's under false pretences and is against the law. I suggest if you are having problems with this company to contact your local Ombudsman as the company in no way will assist. If this is how this compnay treats customer's who are not in their country I dread to think of their behaviour in their own country. This compnay cares only about money and not the customer. I advise all who can to think very hard aout taking offers up as if they cant be bothered with you on the phone I doubt they will be bothered on your holiday. I have never been treated with such disrespect when speaking with an Australian Company. I feel sorry for other Amnerican Compnaies as this compnay gives you the feeling that all American Compnaies are rude unhelpful money hungry nasty little people. I advise form the horror experince that I have had that you cut any ties with this company as your holiday will not be a pleasant experience.

Stayed January 2006
39 Thank Carolyn W
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2005

The terms and condition state that I have the right to cancel within 7 days of initiation. I spend the whole day on the phone trying to cancel and to get a full refund, but I couldn't get a cancellation number nor could I talk to a manager. What client service is this? I keep wondering, if I will ever see my money again. I keep you posted.

Stayed December 2005
35 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2005

There is a lot of confusion about this resort. The general statement is, the resort itself is lovely. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which is on the resort property. It has its own pool and small fitness center, but you can use all of the pools and hottubs and fitness center on the resort too. There is even mini-golf and a lake with water trampolines and jet skis. It is quite nice, and our room was fine - clean, neat, excellent maid service (we even got turndown service with chocolates). Just be sure when you make your reservation that you are staying at the Summer Bay Resort or the Holiday Inn, and not the Inn at Summer Bay which is across a highway from the resort property and looked pretty dumpy. But as long as you are at one of the other two, you will enjoy.

40 Thank hollydancer
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2005

My family just returned home from a week's stay at Summer Bay Resort and had a great time. We went there on an RCI exchange week and got a 3 bedroom condo - which is actually a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom, with a common front door but separate unit doors. There were full kitchen facilities on both sides and worked out great, since we were travelling with my 10 month old daughter and her two grandmothers.

By now (from reading other reviews) you will know that there is a difference between the Inn at Summer Bay and the actual Summer Bay resort. You get to use the ammenities on site either way. We stayed in building 403, which was a hop skip and jump from the main check in lobby.

First off, I will say this resort is great for kids and the staff are really nice and accommodating. We arrived for check in Sunday night and asked about a crib and they actually had one! It was a cute little steel framed crib and made a difference to our vacation as my daughter does not sleep well in playpens. If you need anything, just call front desk and ask - they bring it practically right away. We were very impressed with this.

While at Summer Bay, we enjoyed the tennis courts, table tennis, games room and beach. Since we had a baby, we didn't spend too much time in the pools - which as other reviews have mentioned, is not all heated. The main pool is heated and so are the other pools on site, but the hot tubs we found - were always luke warm and the kiddy pool was not super warm either. Off the dock, we enjoyed feeding the fish and were treated to a visit from a sea turtle which unfortunately had a large fishing hook and line hanging from it's upper lip.

The Publix grocery store is practically right on site - just a short drive on a side resort road. There is also a library there with internet access for free. The one night we needed the internet, the guy at the front desk was nice enough to just let us use one of the office computers for 15 minutes to check e-mail. The biggest bonus was having a 24 hour Walmart so close by. We went there often for food, baby supplies and everything else to make our stay more enjoyable.

Timeshare presentations - we said we weren't going to get suckered into doing them this time, but as always we did - in fact, we went to 2 on the same day. The Summer Bay Resort offers a presentation which includes either breakfast or lunch and when finished, you can visit "gifting" and purchase discounted theme park tickets. It was worth it and it saved us a lot of money - besides it was raining that day anyway. We also stopped at one of those "balloons" along the side of the road and signed up for a presentation at the Wyndham. We got Disney tickets for 3 for $99USD. At Summer Bay, we bought 2 day Universal tickets for $25USD each. A huge savings if you have the time!

The room we had was smaller than I expected, compared to Westgate Villa where we stayed last time - but still clean and with everything we needed. The rooms were decorated nicely and no - we did not see any bugs all week. We only saw one big cockraock in the elevator and that's it. There were no bed bugs or anything else unpleasant that other reviews have mentioned. All in all, the resort was very clean and well maintained.

There is a room off to the side of the front desk where you can get coffee and lemonade any time. We didn't discover this until the last day!

While there are many ammenities to use on site, a lot of the "planned" activities through the Activities Centre cost money. Tennis was a dissapointment to mother-in-law who showed up every day with her $5 in hand for a lesson, but was told repeatedly that it was cancelled because they needed 4 people min for it to run. A private lesson would cost her $50 even though she offered to pay the 4 x $5 to cover the fee for 4 people. After a small complaint, they agreed to let her use the ball machine for $15 for the hour. It would be nice to see more free activites on site. The bikes and water sports for example (peddle boats etc) all cost extra money. The entire week we were there, everything sat in the same place unmoved - no one wanted to pay the extra fee for something other resorts would offer free of charge.

All in all, we had a good time and of course was disappointed when it was time to leave - back to the cold, sub zero temperatures here in Canada!! I rated the resort a 4 because I think there is room for improvement, namely size of rooms, activites offered, temperature of pools and hot tubs. But every night they offered pool side entertainment and Christmas music playing all the time, so that lifted our spirits - even on rainy days. I think if we were offered Summer Bay again in the future, we would be happy and would definitely stay here again. I have no problems recommending this place, you will have a fun, relaxing and pleasant stay. If you have any questions about this resort, please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2005
32 Thank rival88
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2005

We just returned from a week in a one bedroom condo at Summer Bay Resort in Kissimmee/Clermont, Florida (a timeshare week exchange via RCI). We enjoyed the accomodations, had a great time in theme parks, and our vacation was wonderful.

The condo was an adequate size for our group of 3 adults (utilizing the pullout sofa bed as well as the king size bed in the bedroom), but it would have been squishy with 4. The bathroom's tub was a one-person size jacuzzi tub (great after a long day of theme parks), and the water pressure in the shower was GREAT! One box of Surf detergent was provided with the spacesaver washer and dryer, and there were dishwasher tablets and a small bottle of Palmolive provided in the kitchen.

Our windows looked out on the pool outside, where there was even a water-mushroom for kids (there were pools in each section of housing at the resort, including a large pool and hot tub at the main building near the lake). We would have liked to utilize the pool and hot tub, but when we went to them around 9:30 one evening, the pool was freezing cold and the hot tub was barely lukewarm. We're not sure where the "heated pools" stated in their advertisements were, as we found the main pool to be equally cold. The main hot tub was warm, and the last night of our stay the hot tub by us was also warm, so maybe they're fixing the problem. Also available at the resort was a shuffleboard area, tennis courts, playgrounds, a kid’s mini water park, mini golf (for $6/adult), and many other activities (a full calendar was available in our condo), although we didn't really take part in them since our days were full with theme parks. Everything with a fee was clearly noted, and there were no extra fees for us, so at checkout our bill was zero.

Nearby were many chain-based restaurants (Denny's, Chick-fil-a, Ponderosa, Carabbas, Outback, etc.)... not sure of the quality since we never ate near our resort, but they all looked normal for their respective restaurant. The drive to Disney parks was 10-15 minutes, while it took around 20-25 to get to Universal or Seaworld, and about 30 for the airport (plus $1.50 in tolls). The drive would be a little long for those with small children (although after a long day, they might just fall asleep in the car on the way home!), but it would be worth it if you had a larger condo or house and could fit your entire family together. Publix was right down the street (and another about a mile up the street as you came from theme parks), although we were disappointed to learn that their hours were terrible… I believe they were 8am to 11pm! For those of use used to 24 hour grocery stores, or at least 5-midnight ones, this was quite an adjustment and very inconvenient for after-the-park grocery runs. We also utilized the free internet available at the library in the Publix shopping center (I think the resort offers dial-up access, but they certainly need to add wireless!!).

When we visited (middle of November), the resort wasn’t extremely busy, so we were always able to park right by the walkway to our building, although even the further spots wouldn’t be much of a walk from your car. The resort staff was very kind and willing to assist us to make our stay enjoyable.

One last note… there was a Holiday Inn Express onsite (part of the resort, but I think booked separately) which seemed very nice, but also a “Summer Bay Inn” across the street which looked more like a Motel 6… I don’t think it would be possible to stay there through RCI, but from the looks of it, double check that you don’t!

Have a wonderful trip! You’re sure to enjoy Summer Bay!!

• Stayed November 2005
29 Thank LoveTrips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Floridays Resort Orlando
#20 of 335 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,719 reviews
Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!