Brevard Museum of History and Natural Science

Port Charlotte, Florida
for your museum fix

Reviewed 23 May 2017
Carol S

All reviews butterfly garden reasonable admission price native americans walking trails early florida plenty of free parking highly recommend this place gift shop local history all ages windover exhibits shells prehistoric lighthouse mollusks brevard
Reviewed 24 August 2018

Really enjoyed our visit to this museum. Leaned a lot about this area of Florida and particularly enjoyed the Windover exhibit. There is a little bit of everything at this museum including space expoloration and lighthouses. Quite a nice hidden gem and very interesting.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

I absolutely love this place. For me it was sort of a hidden gem because I did not even know it was there. My daughter wanted to visit a museum and I did an online search, when this place popped up we HAD to visit. I didn’t know what exhibits they would have and didn’t expect much but honestly this museum surpassed my expectations. I think we will visit again and I look forward to seeing any changes they make to the exhibits. While we were there we learned a lot about Brevard County, stuff that we had no idea about, especially since we are not originally from here. I recommend this museum to anyone who needs a quick plan for a family outing that wont break the bank and is also educational and indoors so you are out of the summer heat! They also provded a list of other museums that are in Brevard County which was handy, please give this place a shot! We need to keep places like this around!

1  Thank kingssept .
Rachel B, Guest Relations Manager at Brevard Museum of History and Natural Science, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Thank you so much for the kind words! We're so glad that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit. The museum does have two rotating exhibit halls so we hope to have something new the next time we see you!

Reviewed 30 May 2018

The Brevard Museum of History and Natural Science has many interesting exhibits, but probably not of a great deal of interest to very young children. There is also an exhibit of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, and there are usually staff members/docents onsite to answer questions and explain what tours are available.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

This museum is an amazing way to learn about the Windover Man. The burial site was discovered in the hate 80's and much of it was preserved as it was buried in a peat bog. There is a great video on how and what has taken place since the discovery and much of it was covered back over and left alone, The University of Florida continues to research on the items they found and feel that the bones were between 7000-8000 years old and the DNA is more related to the Asians than the Native Americans that living in the area.

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We went with two kids, 8 & 10, two adults, and an 81yr old. I printed off adult bingo sheets and kids bingo sheets before we came, but they have laminated copies at the museum, and provide white erase markers.

The museum was in good shape, overall, though it won't be winning and awards for high tech inclusion. However, the bingo boards simply made the experience. We were all looking for slightly different items, and spent about 1.5 hours searching through the exhibits to find the items. All ages really enjoyed the hunt. Though we did rush to see who got the first "bingo!," we tacitly decided to find every item on the sheets. A few on the adult sheets were quite a challenge.

I spoke with an employee, and I suggested that they get two different series for the children, with entirely different items. Because, were i local, I might like to come back, as an adult, and more thoroughly read more of the information, but if my kids felt like "I've done all this before," they wouldn't be as interested. But, if they had a totally new challenge, they would seek it out and find it with gusto. After two visits, they'd also have much more exposure and familiarity with the content of the museum, and be able to share about their experience if the exhibits, but just bingo.

A good museum should want to draw locals, and children. This museum did that quite well, with a very good idea. I applaud their ingenuity, and would come back on my next visit to the area!

1  Thank ConservativeMama
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

It's good for something to do but the areas for kids are not maintained and not much fun. If the treehouse and shuttle areas were kept clean and stocked it would be better. The workers aren't exactly warm and friendly either.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Outstanding shell collections, Vignettes and/or Dioramas of early Florida natural history, well presented in great detail with realistic, interactive displays. They also have a Space history and science display, the local history of surfing, dinosaurs, and a working model railroad to interact with. Nice facility with a gift shop and plenty of good walking trails on the surrounding grounds. They also have a nice butterfly garden out back and a picnic pavilion too. Clean restrooms inside and plenty of free parking right out front. I highly recommend this place to all museum lovers. Both adults and kids will find it a great experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

This museum is filled with Florida artifacts. Many mollusk shells fill several cases in the entrance. There is an area with bones if some very interestin prehistoric creatures. Displays related to surfing and the space race and the making of turpentine are interesting. But the diplay related to a prehistoric civilization found in Titusville was my favorite. There is also a butterfly garden and other displays outdoors but I didn't visit those so I can't comment on them.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Nice place to see stuff ,but a bit old .would be nice to have some updates. Otherwise my kids enjoy a visit here

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I miss going to lots of museums so it was time to visit here..very good visit..lots of interesting facts to learn and items to see. Great for kids.