“Showing its age”

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Jane Lew, West Virginia
“Showing its age”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I was wondering if I could give this hotel a rating of 4, but decided that 3 is more accurate. The suite was very large, and the bed was comfortable. But the decor etc is definitely showing its age. The bathroom was large. It had a shower, no tub. The shower was poorly designed, with no step into it. There was almost no slant for the water to go into the drain, so it was impossible to keep water from going all over the bathroom floor. The TV was not a flat screen, and the channel selection was pretty limited.

The key card reader was not working properly on the door, so we could not get into the room at first. I had to go back to the front desk and get another card. We stayed only one night (as planned), but I had to go back to the front desk a total of three times to get key cards that would work. The front desk were apologetic and as helpful as they could be.

The hotel is located within walking distance of a couple of good restaurants, one an Italian restaurant just across the street (can't remember the name, sorry), and A NY Pizza, just down the block. My wife and I enjoyed both of these places.

One of the reasons I choose this hotel is that I saw somewhere that there is a shuttle available to the cruise ports. I assumed this was a free shuttle, but there is a charge for the shuttle.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 19Jim48
FourPointsMangement, Manager at Cocoa Beach Suites, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced by having to reactivate your keys several times. We are constantly reinvesting in the property to keep our hotel up to guest’s standards.

The hotel now charges for shuttle service to and from Port Canaveral. I do apologize you were unaware of the new fees. Guests can book our Park and Cruise package that includes parking for the duration of the cruise and shuttle for 2 people to/from Port Canaveral. Otherwise, the rates for shuttle service to Port Canaveral are $6.00 per person one way.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Worst room I have ever stayed in. We were promised an ocean view room which makes you think it is right on the beach or relatively close. It is a couple blocks away and my room faces private condo buildings. As soon as we checked in our rate was higher because they forgot to put in the parking for the cruise we were going on. Room is terrible and outdated. Lightbulbs are burnt out, internet cord is broke, pillows on the crappy sofa are open with the stuffing coming out of them. The room disgusts me...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KaitlynF
Felton, Delaware
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed at the Cocoa Beach Suites on October 29, 2011. It was a great value - just $59 for the night for a 2 room suite. The facility was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. This place is a little older but it is very well maintained. The have a spa on site but access to pools is at other hotels nearby. Wendy's and Waffle House are almost in the parking lot and a very nice Italian restaurant is just across the street. This place was every bit as nice as the Radisson At The Port but at LESS than half the price.

We went down for a cruise for our 2nd honeymoon. We travel by motorcycle and made better time that anticipated, arriving one day earlier than expected. The Radisson was sold out for that extra night, though we did have a reservation for the night of October 30. So we had to find accommodations at the last minute. The good folks at the Radisson suggested Cocoa Beach Suites. This hotel was less than 3 miles from the Radisson, where we were departing from for the cruise.

My wife and I were so impressed with this place that the next time we're headed that way we will definitely stay here again. It was a much better value than the Radisson. ALL the rooms are two room suites.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EAgent
Sandy, Oregon
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This was the second and thankfully last Florida hotel we stayed in after our honeymoon cruise out of the port. After our first horrible hotel experience we were really looking forward to the two room suite with an ocean view! When we got there the check in guy was super nice and checked us in at 9 AM! That was awesome of him to do....however, the room was so humid and smelled musty. The second room of our suite had two more beds in it and our ocean view was a parking lot view of the condos next door. Maybe the higher up rooms can see the ocean but you are about three blocks from the beach so it is NOT beach side like they said. Next time I will spend the extra bucks for something a little better. If you do stay here however, the pizza place down the street (not the one across) called A NY Pizza is AMAZING!

Room Tip: go to the upper levels
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed 25 November 2011

First, I chose a November date so the review would be near the top due to the info I just found out. We actually stayed in April 2011. Second, my overall rating is based on that April 2011 stay. The place may be quite different now.

I was looking to stay here again with my family because we had done so previously (April 2011) and found it to be really nice for the price. Unfortunately, I just found out it has been sold from the Choice Hotels lineup and I will likely not try it again unless I read more positive reviews. Most of the ones after April 2011 are very negative. For the record, though, we found it clean and the staff very friendly. We have a pool in our neighborhood back in Georgia, so that wasn't even an issue for us. We came there for the beach. Starbuck's and Ron Jon's are conveniently close. There was also this great Asian-owned, local ice cream place down the road (north of hotel??) that did karaoke at night. That was a hoot!! Never laughed so hard in my life.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam S
Gloversville, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The photos on their site do not represent the rooms as they are today. The first room given - as my husband was opening the door the staff came running up to say no, I made a mistake that room is the wrong room! Returning back to the desk with him and being assigned another room - we entered and could not believe how "grimey" (the only word to express it) the couch , floors and bed was. I am quite sure the sheets had not been changed from the previous guest.We returned back to the desk and said "this is unacceptable" it is filthy. He offered 10% off, but we refused; it still wouldn't make it cleaner!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple