“horrible hovel”
Review of Dolphin Inn

Dolphin Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Cocoa Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2014

In short- DO NOT BOOK THIS MOTEL. DIRTY SHEETS, MOLDY SHOWER, NO VENTILATION, RUDE PROPRIETORS WITH NO REGARD FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Long story:

I booked a two night stay for my sister and I. This was listed in the b&b section, and I thought it looked like a cute place off the beaten track. In reality, this is a dirty dungy MOTEL not at all a b&b, the rooms are disgusting and the service awful. The grounds look cute, but upon entering the office is filled with cigarette smoke. The rooms we saw were both outdated- which I would not complain about- but also completely disgusting. It seemed some surfaces were clean- the place did reek of bleach- but where it mattered most it was filthy. All the grout in the tiny shower was completely black with mold. The towels were no longer even white and were ragged. The worst- the sheets had tons of hair and stains all over them. We decided to leave and went to turn our keys in. The proprietor insisted on seeing these "stains" and rolled his eyes at us and gritted his teeth as soon as we opened our mouths to complain. He walked into the room and stated the stains were "rust" (I'm pretty sure mascara stains on the pillows do not look like rust) and had nothing to say about the stains or anything else. He was completely unapologetic. He stated that he could give us another room but there was no way he was giving us a refund. We stated there was no way that we were staying in any of his rooms because we doubted they would be any different. He again refused a refund, shrugged and walked away. We left empty handed and feeling dirty just having stood in that room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank LesleyCK
bosslion, Owner at Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Fist of all I ask Trip Advisor many time to take us off the B&B site but they refuse?????
Second most of the stuff you are saying in my STRONG Opinion are lies. One little rust stain the size of a dime does not make a dirty place. You took a shower and put sand every where for you had no respect. There is an out side shower. You both had a lot of make up on and in my opinion put them marks on the pillow case. For it is my wife,daughter and my self cleaning these rooms and it was just cleaned. IF the room was that bad you would of complained right off not wait after coming back from the beach, I'm sure you changed clothes before going to the beach.
THE other place you claim to stay at had a concierge and then you allegedly ate at one of the most expensive restaurants in town. Just tell the truth you thought you was to good to stay here. If I had the time I would sue you for slander. Not counting the bad words you said about a race that I'm not going to say.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Dolphin Inn this past weekend as a last romantic getaway, just the two of us, before our baby arrives this year or I get too pregnant to want to do anything lol. It was awesome! We had a big comfy king size bed and back sliding glass doors that led out to our own private dock on the banana River! It did kind of scare me that one of the glass sliding doors wouldn't stay locked very well BUT, it was quickly dismissed because we felt pretty safe there considering this hotel is in a mostly residential area.. Away from the 'strip' with all the hub bub and big commercial hotels. They have kayaks you can jump on and take out on the river and the beach is just accross the street. It is an older place with some wear and tear, but so are like 60% of the homes in florida (especially south FL). All in all, we had a nice relaxing vacation and will definitely be back with our friends!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Sarahd0123
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Where do I start. Ok called on Friday booked a room, when we arrived it was so disgusting I told her I wanted to cancel she said you have to cancel 2 weeks in advance . I said I just booked it an hour ago. Very out dated musty smelling the doors looked like they has been broke into a few times large gaps under the door big enough for a snake to get in. We were told to turn off the AC when we left as she has to pay the bill. The bathroom was so terrible we had to go buy cleaning supplies to clean before we could use it. The sheets looked clean but dingy looking and the AC smelled so bad that I had vertigo the next morning.had to wear socks because the carpet was so dirty I couldn't bear to walk on it. Glad I only stated one night. Did you ever shower and still not feel clean cuz the water felt dirty well this is the feeling I had. Good luck if this is your choice. Not a happy camper

Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank Denise L
bosslion, Owner at Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Ma'am, As stated to you when you booked the room, it was our last room.In the hour that it took you to get here, we had turned away at least 10 people for the town was full. WE ARE NOT A CORPORATE MOTEL/ HOTEL We are more like a retreat. People come here for the nature, kayaking , the view, beach, fishing, relaxing, watching the sunset, birds, Dolphins, reading with out a bunch of kids screaming. We are more like a retreat away from the fancy places with Suits and ties, marble,chandeliers and rules. I have seen the Hotels/Motels you stayed in, and they are 5 star, no matter what room we gave you you would not of been happy. Your floor and bathroom was clean, sheets clean. NEXT TIME PLEASE BOOK A ROOM PRIOR TO COMING TO A TOWN THAT YOU HAVE TO LOWER YOU SO CALLED STANDARDS AND STAY WITH REGULAR PEOPLE.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The setting is great however the rooms need a lot of updating. Nice place to sit by river but smell of seaweed strong. Beach is very close and we saw lots of birds and a dolphin. Use of kayaks was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

so good to be back in florida again,and so wonderful to re visit the dolphin inn. I had lost the contact number,so unfortunately i had to stay in satellite beach for the night, as the dolphin had no rooms left. the motel i had to stay in was a terrible motel, they had a cooperate name,but i felt unsafe. gratefully i got a room the next day,at one of my favourite places the dolphin inn.
the weather was not so good,but i still managed to do some fishing,spotted a lot of dolphins.the room i had was comfortable with flat screen tv. clean quiet,and has been updated since my last stay.these people are constantly doing something.
in my eyes this is one of the prettiest and fabulous places i have stayed in,and i have travelled to many places,the peacefulness is just amazing.
so incase your forgetful like me here is there number 321 868 3701 cocoabeachdolphininn.com
so now i can't loose the number lol

Room Tip: i have stayed in 2 different rooms. both nice. one had a stove range. the other a microwave. both ha...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ivylaver
Reviewed 17 January 2014

wow,great time we had here again,free kayaks,how can they do that.local charge for kayaks is $40 for half day.so bearing that in mind i only paid $30 for my room.fishing poles are free.what an amazing place.
the rooms are nicely done,simple and very clean.we chose one with a stove top,just incase it was to cold to go to the restaurant.there is no granite work tops here,just tastefully done.all come with nice dining table,very comfortable bed,sofa and flat screen tv. bathroom a little small,but how much time can you spend in a bathroom,not a problem to me.
there courtyard is beyond anything I've seen,flowering bouganvillas and hibiscus,and some plant called bleeding heart,trailing and in full bloom.(i must get one of these) plus little lights of a night just makes this place for me fills like I'm in paradise.
this place is a little gem,having said that.if you are looking for cooperate style,with no personality,do not stay here.there seriously nothing conforming here,you can tell it was done with pure enthusiasm and love.
and to top it of the beach is a minute walk literally,and so are the restaurants,all within few minutes walking.how can you beat that.
the owners debbie and duane are super cool,tell them hi for me
planning my return already

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank 60898Dee
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Well, as you might know, I learnt that cocoa beach is one of the best surf spot in Florida. this was the reason why I decided to stay there. Having said this, if you do fells and interest in a "surf alike" experience, you do not fail with the Dolphin Inn. first of all the couple owner, they're great and welcoming and can suggest you some good place where to eat. then the location is really nice, garden in the middle with a lot af different statues and palm sculptured-faces, wood footpath on the water front, and beach just accross the street. Rooms are - honestly aged, it is true - and some smell of humidity can welcome you, but this did not bothered me that much.. Mine had also a kitchen with microwave (aged it is true and I did not use it at the end), sofa and big tv. But at the end I was in a surf city, living easy those days. And that was enough for me to make me happy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends