“Great location & friendly staff”

Discovery Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
“Great location & friendly staff”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Beach location and accesability to area attractions plus friendly staff make this a desireable place. We stayed three nights in a three bedroom unit. Spacious, but on the sown side, floors were dirty. The clothes dryer left black streaks on a load of clothes and tore holes in two shirts when they got caught in the top of the dryer. There was no offer to replace or compensate for the clothes, but they did offer to replace the washer/dryer.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
DC
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo here for a long weekend last May. I was very pleasantly surprised with the rooms and the bathrooms. Everything was very nice, very clean, and spacious enough for our family of 5 adults. Having access to the gym in the building was nice and the front desk staff were friendly. They had beach chairs that you could borrow from the lobby - those were a little sketchy. But everything else was very nice. Can't beat the location either.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We booked this for 2 nights through our RCI timeshare. Besides spending a significant number of points for a such a short stay and an RCI transaction fee, we were charged an additional $75 when checking out for a "cleaning fee". RCI does state that "a cleaning fee may be charged by the resort for stays of less than 7 days", but we thought this amount was excessive. The morning after our arrival, cleaning staff were already at the door (WHY??), and we turned them away. We were forced to then sign a form stating that they'd been there, which we thought odd. The 2nd morning, it was time to check out, so we left the condo neat and tidy, with the dishwasher running so there were no unwashed dishes. Having been warned, we weren't surprised by a fee for cleaning, but $75?!? We felt scammed.

Otherwise, we enjoyed the unit and resort very much. It was spacious, with a nice balcony, view and location. The 3 cats were a delight to watch in the bushes. Both sunrises were lovely to see, also. The restaurant on premises was very convenient, with reasonable food.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda4172
Chocowinity, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Other writing have indicated the place needs a facelift. True! But the economy is lousy there and the space center is no longer going to be a viable economic force unless the private sector makes it happen. The staff is really very helpful and courteous. We were a bit worried when we arrived but, over time, we thought the place was pretty cool! The resort restaurant is incredibly affordable with good food and a friendly staff too. This is a nice place for folks with modest retirement incomes. A trip to the Space Center is an absolute must, and there is a senior discount. The Savannahs Golf Course is a real bargain on certain days of the week, and a very fair, but challenging, track. And,above all, IT IS QUIET! We will be back.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor and the view was really nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John M
Indiana
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed here with some friends for 5 nights.
Let me start out with the positive things first.
The location is excellent.
The condo was very clean.
Well stocked kitchen complete with Cutco knifes.
Great view from the very large balcony.
Maureen the activities person was very nice.
The live music by the pool one day was super.
Pool was nice but on the small side.
Here's the downside.
I agree with other posts the lobby did have a very stale odor.
The beds and pillows need to be replaced.
My feet were super dirty after walking around the unit so from then on I kept my sandals on.
This is minor but a tv in the extra bedroom would have been nice.
The worst thing was my departure day the water was turned off with no warning! We asked how long they thought it would be off and they said maybe an hour. Turned out to be more like 2 1/2 hrs! Had I known they were going to do this I would have taken a shower before they turned it off. Nothing worse then traveling with sand and suntan lotion all over you.They said they didn't know it was going to be turned off. Really!? It didn't get turned back before I needed to get ready to leave so I had to take a shower with one gallon of water that I asked for. I feel sorry for the people who may have been in the middle of their shower and the water was turned off.Interesting that the whole first floor had water so the restaurant could still be open. This was not handled well at all. They could have offered a complementary lunch or something~ not that it would change the situation but it would have been a good PR move. So I guess I should be thankful for the gallon of water and an I'm sorry.
I wad a guest of my friends so I didn't pay for the condo. So that's good. If I had I would have made more of an issue. I don't this will be a future destination for me.

Room Tip: Corner suite.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank LynnesPicks
S.W. Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2011

After checking in and having to sign out the luggage rack, I wasn't sure that this was where I wanted to spend a whole week. The first glance at the condo room made me wonder the same thing, as it is truly a step back in time, decor-wise. They still use real keys too! But, the place kinda grows on you and you start to not notice the 80's decor. The condo was super clean and the location of the Resort is wonderful. We spent very little time at the resort -- went golfing, kayaking, a day at the Kennedy Space Center, and other sightseeing, so cannot report much about the activities during the day. We did take in the Beach Walk -- lead by the Activities Director, who was very sweet and fun, although she could learn a few more details about what she is showing people -- it was a very light introduction of the area. We thoroughly enjoyed the presentation one evening by the Jungle Adventures Nature Park and Zoo representative -- if you are going to this, bring along your camera and a couple of bucks -- we went empty-handed. Other things I would suggest you might like to bring would include binoculars as there are many cruise ships coming and going, and some just killing time prior to taking their turn into Port Canaveral. They are directly in front of the resort. Also bring your own shampoo, etc. There are no extras other than soap in the condo. You'll need some laundry supplies if you plan to do more than 1 load of wash -- there was a sample-size box of Tide provided. If you think you'll need scissors, bring them. The kitchen is fairly well appointed, but no scissors. Free parking is plentiful. Free Internet WiFi was great and truly appreciated -- one of the main things I look for in my RCI Exchanges! There is an alarm clock in the Master Bedroom (and a second TV), but the second bedroom has neither, in case that matters. I would not hesitate in recommending this resort.

Room Tip: First two floors have an obstructed view of the Ocean.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kazzoo
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Let me start off from my first impression. Honestly, I was concerned. The resort looked worn from the outside and not very clean. I thought the lobby smelled. The elevators flat out stunk. I looked at my husband and we sort of exchanged an uh oh look. Still, we had driven all the way to Florida and we were tired and decided to approach with a positive attitude. My first impression of the room was that it was very spacious. I loved the large balcony. We were on the second floor so we could see the ocean and the foliage that seperates the dunes from the hotel property.I will say both of our bathrooms needed help. There was some rust and the fans were super loud. Our bedrooms seemed more updated. The linens and the mattresses seemed new. Our washer and dryer worked but again, rusted. One thing about the resort which I loved were the wild cats. There are wild cats that live in the foliage outside. They are fed by the resort and are protected by the Brevard SPCA. They dont go near you but they are fun to watch. The resort was very close to the ocean and it was nice to hear the waves and be such a short walk from them. We were also pleased that we didnt have to go far at all for groceries. There is a store within walking distance. There were plenty of places to eat on Merrit Island, which is a very short drive. Olive Garden, Carrabas, Outback, Longhorn Steakhouse.. I dont know if we would stay at Discovery again but we did enjoy Cocoa Beach.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple