“Awesome Family Atmosphere”

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Longwood, Florida
“Awesome Family Atmosphere”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

From the minute you walk down the common area to the pool and the beach you notice there is something different about this resort. It is charming, peaceful, and welcoming. It is a little older, however, Mike the resort manager is very hospitable and friendly, he took care of all of our needs and even provided my daughters with food to feed the baby rabbits that are wandering throughout the grounds of the resort. THE BEACH VIEW IS AMAZING....We stayed in room 120, steps from the beach, the units are older, so don't expect new fancy amenities, but they are maintained and CLEAN. Its a quiet relaxing family atmosphere. We met many interesting families, played corn-hole with Wade and Dave from Ohio. I guess I should give a balanced review, I would have liked had access to an ice machine, but I did have an ice maker in my refrigerator. So there you have it. This was by far our best family vacation we have had in years and I look forward to the many future visits to the Beach Island Resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank shaunlo2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gainesville, Fl
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We needed a spur of the moment get-away without breaking the bank. That is exactly what we got at the Beach Island Resort. It is right on the beach, which is a huge plus! Mike and his wife (and also the lovely housekeeper, whose name I didn't get) were all so very pleasant and working hard to keep the place spotless and homey. The price was probably the best in the area, especially for a place truly on the beach (not steps, yards, miles....but right on the beach!). Now, if you are expecting the Ritz, this place is not for you. It is quite a bit older and the rooms could use some TLC, the bathrooms and showers are cruise-ship size, and the A/C was very loud whenever it came on. But for the hospitality, location and price, we were more than pleased with our stay! :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Principal1
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Beach Island Resort is like sunshine on a cloudy day. Have you ever experienced a cloudy day and just as it started to rain the sun peaked out and then a beautiful rainbow appeared out of nowhere? I consider sunshine on a cloudy day a beautiful thing and rainbow is a plus. So imagine my delight when I found out I could have sunshine and a rainbow all in one day, four to be exact. So in case you didn't understand the whole sunshine thing, to me The Beach Island Resort is an absolutely wonderful place. My friend and I enjoyed four great days there. Our rooms were clean, we had our own kitchen, plenty of space, the staff was super friendly, and if that isn't enough they had a local rabbit that was the cutest ever. They also have a private beach access which was nice. If you like to watch the sun rise or set over the ocean this is a great place to enjoy it. The Beach Island Resort has recently been taken over by Mike & Catrell Cooney and I must say they are doing a phenomenal job there. I plan to return to Cocoa Beach, Fl in the near future and when I do I want to stay at the resort. If you are traveling to the area I highly suggest staying at The Beach Island Resort. Not only is The Beach Island Resort a good place to stay but it is also in a great location. There is plenty to do around the area including: visiting the beautiful beach, go surfing (or watch), see the local wildlife, check out the Pier, shop, eat with the locals, or just do what I did and grab a cuppa and walk along the beautiful beach at The Beach Island Resort and savour the moment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Saviexplorer
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed over a long weekend for our second visit. We really enjoy the fact that this part of Cocoa Beach is away from the dense tourist crowds. My family and I enjoy cooking in our room, the short walk right onto the beach, and unique simple little décor items. They've added new TVs to the rooms, and we had very good service when we needed something quickly. The only knock we have is that parking can be tricky. There are not enough spots to room ratio, so we had to park up the street. However, it's a minor issue compared to a very economical stay. The rooms were very clean, and we will certainly come back again.

2 Thank Josh G
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel recently got taken over by Mike Cooney and his wife, they are such kind people!! They were extremely compassionate towards our situation and all around great people. The hotel is sweet and has great private beach access. The rooms have a full little kitchen which is a huge plus on the beach. The hotel itself used to be where they housed the astronauts in the 1950's (NASA). Having spending my childhood growing up with my Grandma in Cocoa Beach, it was really nice to have a family environment at the hotel. I wish the best of luck to Mike and his wife. Great location, great place, great for little families, great people!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Melissa M
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was't even going to leave a comment, but just read a review someone wrote, and thought I would add my 2 cents (well maybe 3). My wife & I stayed at Beach Island Resort for our anniversary a few weeks back & absolutely loved it! The cottages are a little older and could use some updating, but were clean & very spacious. Our 8 yr old daughter was with us, and it was the perfect environment for families, both relaxing and peaceful. During our stay the management did an awesome job, looked after everything! I must say some people crack me up though, I just read a previous review & was shaking my head! A one or two bdrm cottage (living room, full kitchen etc), in the perfect location (steps away from the beach), at that price??, are you kidding me? Other than personal crap & baby sitting tips on how to look after their kids while unattended, it told me nothing about the area or property! We had an awesome trip to Cocoa Beach when we went, even got to see a launch (amazing right from the beach). We also got to see a speed boat race they have each year ( although the pier was a little too packed for my liking). Also got some great pictures of a car show that weekend (just down the road from the resort). We took our daughter to Kennedy Space Station too, it takes the better part of the day but truly worth it! For us, the whole experience at both Beach Island Resort and Cocoa Beach itself was outstanding, will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin facing the beach, and get up early enough to see the sun rise (incredible). For quie...
4 Thank Robbie B
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My family and I have been going to BIR for four years now. We meet up with other family members and friends and rented five rooms this year. Since we have been going there for several years we've also met some of the other guests and time share owners who vacation there the same time we go. It has been a wonderful "family" experience up until this year.While the location and grounds are beautiful, the new management leaves a lot to be desired. The rooms themselves are another story. Mike, the new manager should consider a new line of work perhaps at a retirement home. The tone he takes with the guests is quite rude and obnoxious to say the least. Several examples are that Mike ran after children "screaming" at them to stop chasing the bunny. Seriously?? There was a group of younger people hanging out at the tables late into the night and Mike was quite nasty about it and said no partying after 9:00PM because it was "quite" time. When Mike was questioned about it the next morning, his response was, "there's a new sheriff in town and if you don't like it perhaps you should find another place to stay." He changes the rules as he sees fit. The sign on the pool said open 8:00AM-10:00PM yet yelled at children in the pool to get out at 8:45PM. When an adult expressed their concern because the sign clearly said 10:00PM Mike again took a rude and nasty tone with the quest quoting FL statues. Check in time is 4:00PM. One friend had to wait until 5:45 to check in because Mike "was busy" at that time running around doing everything but checking guests in. I could go on but I won't. All in all this was a miserable stay. I felt I had to walk on egg shells because of the new manager. You never knew when you were going to get yelled at for doing what most people do at the beach during a long weekend. I've been in the hospitality industry and this is NOT how you treat guests, especially paying guests. Sadly, the way Mike speaks to guests is not something that is learned but rather his personality and that's something you cannot change. If Mike wants to manage a place that has quite time after 9:00PM, no children running around, no children kicking a ball on the grass, no people partying and laughing, perhaps he should consider managing a retirement home. To top it off, the hotel is sub par at best. Not all rooms have fully equipped kitchens and they aren't that clean.To spend the kind of money we spent and be treated the way we were treated we will not be going back there as long as Mike is the in-house manager. The only bright spot was housekeeping who was so very accommodating and very friendly.

10 Thank Loweeze L
Catrell C, Manager at Beach Island Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Mike, Manager at Beach Island Resort Response: This is a great example of there are always two sides to every story. What you failed to mention is that I had received numerous complaints about you and your group including being noisy very late at night plus excessive drinking and drunkenness — all in front of your children. I will be the first to admit that I did not handle several of the issues you mentioned in a professional manner, but regrettably that sometimes happens when it is necessary to continue to point out to adults that their behavior is unacceptable at a family resort. Lastly, several of the guests who complained about your group's behavior stated that "if I wrecked your fun, they would hate to have been here if you were allowed to do whatever you wanted". I am responsible for making sure all guests have an enjoyable stay, not just a few.