“A Great Dog Friendly / People Friendly Motel”
Review of South Beach Inn

South Beach Inn
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Wasn't sure what to expect, as I have been dissapointed with Motels that take Pets. It seems like we have to sacrifice quality to stay in a place that takes Pets.....Well we will look no more. The South Beach Inn is a super friendly, clean Pet friendly place to stay, relax and meet new friends.
The rooms were like small Apartments, with a full kitchen, futon, bed & kitchen table & chairs. Sure they are older, but functional and clean. You are right on the Ocean, and the Beaches were not crowded.
The rooms were very clean. I was impressed.
It was in the late afternoon and evening when quite a few of the guests were in the courtyard, using the grills provided, talking, enjoying the day and chatting with everone else. I was enjoying a cigar and watching the Dogs and children play. It is almost like a big family.....and the Managers and other guests will make you feel at home.
We had a great time, and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iowacane
There are newer reviews for South Beach Inn

Reviewed 17 June 2009

When I took a drive across Florida for a little getaway, I had no idea that I would be staying at a little slice of paradise in, well, paradise. The South Beach Inn is nestled between residences and other hotels, but stands out from the crowd. The beach is your backyard which also includes a beautifully maintained and large grassy courtyard with enough grills to feed 50 hungry beachgoers. The room was like an apartment with all the amenities in the full kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bath. The hotel has the feel as if you were visiting a great friend and staying in their guest house. The accommodating managers live right on site and are a knock away should you need anything. The only problem that I can identify about my whole experience at the South Beach Inn is that my stay was too short. The next time I need a weeklong getaway, this will surely be at the top of my affordable destinations. I hope you enjoy this hotel as much as I did.

2  Thank goodvibes72
Reviewed 3 June 2009

If you want crowds on the beach, a trip up the elevator to get to your room and a restaraunt in the lobby, this is not the place for you. If you want to walk right out of your room, past the deck to the beach and relax in peace; this is the place for you. If you want a good clean room at a very good price, this is the place.
We spent our Spring Break in Cocoa Beach because our son was playing baseball at the Cocoa Expo. I spent hours on the computer debating where to stay. I liked the looks of this place online, but there were some bad reviews. However, I liked that the management answered them. The price for eight nights was great, and we would save money because I could cook our meals. We took a shot and hoped for the best. We were very glad we did!!!
This place was awesome. The rooms were a nice size, with a closet for our stuff. The kitchens have full sized refridgerators and cabinets to store food. The AC would freeze you out, but we quickly decided that we preferred to open all the windows to feel and hear the sea breeze. But more importantly than all that was what the outdoors offerred. The courtyard was complete with a small picnic shelter and a couple of very nice grills to cook on. There is a horseshoe pit and plenty of comfy chairs to laze around in. There is even a hammock spread between two palms that our son took a three hour nap in. The deck overlooks the beach, and the sand is mere feet away. On the busiest day during spring break week, there were maybe 40 people on the surrounding beach at the height of the day, otherwise, ten people at any given time made for a busy beach. The hotel is away from all the hustle and bustle of a busy vacation town, but close enough for a short drive.
For you other baseball parents out there, the drive to the expo is about thirty-five minutes. That was the hotel's biggest drawback for us, but the drive was well worth it. Many of the families stayed close to the expo and had no beach, scenery or peace. I can't imagine driving 900 miles to stay in a place like that.
This was my husband's first trip to the beach and he fell in love. Before we left in the morning, he was on the deck watching the waves roll in before the sun was even fully in the sky. When it stormed, we stood on the deck and watched the surfers roll with the tide. At bedtime, we relaxed on the deck and continued to listen to the waves after we could no longer see them ( I actually fell asleep outside most of the nights we were there). I can't imagine a more peaceful, relaxing place to be.
The staff was very accomodating. We hosted a small cookout for a few of the other team families on a Monday night. The staff cleaned out the fire pit for us and helped us with anything we needed. The other parents there that evening really enjoyed the layed back atmosphere surrounding the hotel. They were also very impressed with the price we payed for our stay. I'm sure that we will not be the only baseball family staying there next year. Our family will return most every year for probably the next 9 years or so, and I can't imagine staying anywhere else.
I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank plaidfamily
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We recently stayed at the South Beach Inn for two nights and did not want to leave! The rooms were clean and spacious and the staff was awesome! We are a family of five with three children ages 14,6 and 2 the enitre family cannot wait to come back. The inn is located right on the beach and has a nice enclosed yard that is perfect for small children. The owners and staff were VERY patient and helpful.( remember three children running around!)

I truly do not understand the bad reviews. We booked two of the larger rooms and both were more than clean. Very comfortable, relaxing place to stay!! We had more than enough towels, clean bathroom and the kitchen was fully stocked with dishes, utensils, etc. The owners and staff were very friendly our kids absolutly loved them!!There were even a few beach toys and things provided for the kids to play with! I feel the room rates were more than reasonable and we are already planning our next stay at the South Beach Inn:) Yes it is an "older inn" but VERY well maintained! Worth every penny!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank emmabusten
Reviewed 8 May 2009

The family-run South Beach Inn is located at the south end of Cocoa Beach where the surf break is big and an endless adventure of kayaking awaits. Each suite retains some of the sixties motel charm with fine terrazzo floors, floating partitions, kitchenettes and walk-in closets. If the rhythm of the surf doesn't draw you to the sun soaked patio nested in the sea oats and dunes, the colorful Adirondack chairs and green lawn offer a relaxing view of the beach from the courtyard garden. I should warn you that the hushed sounds of the manatee fountain can induce prolonged siesta while lounging in the shaded hammock beyond the BBQ pavilion. Of course the real focus of the SBI is the wide white beach miles away from the tourist strip and high-rises.
Sitting around the beach fire watching the huge red moon rising over the rolling waves takes me back to when I grew up on Cocoa Beach during the NASA space race. Instead of an Apollo Saturn V roaring over the Atlantic towards the moon, I watched STS119 space shuttle Discovery turn the dusk to day on its way to the space station. Only a few blocks from the SBI is Ramp Road, the ideal launch for exploring the Thousand Islands. This labyrinth of mangrove and spoil islands kept my Gheenoe buddies and I busy for decades exploring the southern end the Banana River and I still don't know every canopied kayak trail. Many of the islands are big enough for camping and do not require a permit.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Bluediin
Reviewed 16 April 2009

The location is perfect if you like to be away from the center of all activities. The beach is almost like a private beach as there are hardly any people around (even on a busy Easter weekend), the view from the deck at the hotel is terrific. The private area next to the hotel has green grass and lots of space for little kids to run around. The staff is welcoming and helpful. But -- this is the first hotel/inn/motel we stayed at where they would not clean your room AT ALL! We were there for nine nights and we had to walk down our towels to the office so they would give us clean ones. Same goes to bedding. Overall, the rooms are kind of clean but old.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kievlm
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I was sitting here reading some reviews. My family and I which consists of five children, three younger and a couple of teenagers, have stayed here several times over the past few years. If you want a vacation, I'm not talking about crowds or where the younger people would hang out, but, an actual beach vacation, no worries, about work, or usual stresses, this is the location to go to. We ask our children where they would like to go to, they all say, South Beach Inn, that is ever since we first gone there. You can easily get to all the crowd and stuff, if you want that, the pier isn't that far away, a few minute drive, you can watch the shuttle launch right from the deck or the beach, you can even barbecue and watch the children play, and sea turtles nest nearby, whoever complained about the rooms, your not at Holiday Inn, where they come and clean your room for you everyday, give me a break. This place is more like your own apartment on the beach, you get to save money, get groceries, cook your meals, watch the kids play in the yard, you want your room clean, there's a broom and dust pan, sweep up the sand, otherwise put up with all the crowds and pay some restaurant to cook your food. You can walk the beach at night time, like we did, and just generally spend real quality time with your wife and children, the kids got to watch little crabs come from the ocean and chase daddy around, you won't find that at the other hotels, they are too crowded. All I can tell you is this, if you want some great quiet beach vacation to yourself and your family, not all the hassle, stay here, we have not been on vacation in a while as I was in an accident, and could not go, but, we will be back, and there has not been any problem with a room in the four or five times we stayed there. Oh yea, why would you go to the beach and worry about computer access????? That is not going on vacation.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank ALNJEN
southbeachinn, Assistant to Owners/Public Relations at South Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2009

It was a pleasure to receive your review on March 29th! Thank you!

We too love the wide open yard and gazebo /grilling area which overlooks the ocean! You are right, it is perfect for children of all ages!

It is nice to hear that your children are always so excited to return to the Inn over the years!

We love to hear that you all appreciate the relaxed family style atmosphere that the Inn offers. We couldn't agree more, it is nice to relax on vacation, avoid the crowds, cook in your own "apartment", or just grill out on the grill!

Thank you for sharing your personal appreciation of the little crabs and nesting turtles... Just another extra special experience that can be appreciated at the South Beach Inn!

We look forward to your return visit, and please mention your tripadvisor review so we can thank you in person upon your return.

We hope the weather is treating you well in Illinois! We hope to see you real soon!

Teresa Powell