“Grand hotel but not enough room at pool”

The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Grand hotel but not enough room at pool”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have stayed here many times, quiet lovely hotel, an oasis in the Miami area. While the rooms and restaurants are wonderful, the pool area looks good, but functions poorly. There are not enough chairs/space at the pool. And, somehow they allow people to save rows of chairs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
BiltmoreHotel, at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and I am thankful that you are a repeat guest. I apologize for the experience that you had while lounging by the pool, I have taken a note about your comments and will share them with the appropriate staff. I hope when you are back in the City of Coral Gables, you can come and stay at the Biltmore Hotel once again.

Matthias Kammerer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Turkish first
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was here for a business conference. If you don't have a vehicle, you are stuck eating at the resort, which is pricey. However, the facilities are spectacular. I borrowed the bike (cruiser style) while I was there and rode around Coral Gables enjoying the views and being out, away from the hotel. The bell hops and concierge were amazing, the front desk staff was very pleasant, and the room service persons were efficient and polite. The Biltmore even has turn-down service with chocolates! The business lunch at the Fontana is worth every penny, and the sliders at the 19th Hole were amazing. I had some issues getting my work computer on the network, but I called the tech support number and was online in less than 20 minutes. My only complaint is that there were some kind of small ant?? that were found on the wood desk region. This was the only place I saw them and I didn't notify the hotel until the day I checked out as it wasn't a major thing to me. Be sure to be out front on the hour if you like to hear old church bells as the church across the street rings them - lovely. I fully intend on returning with my husband for a romantic get-away.

Room Tip: I assume that all of the rooms on the higher floors have a great view - regardless of whether front...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Brooke,

Thank you for reviewing the Biltmore Hotel. I appreciate all of your feedback. I am so glad that you took advantage of our bikes and enjoyed them as well as our other services, however I apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Hope you can come back soon!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

A lovely historic place with helpful staff, great restaurants, facilities & atmosphere. It was the first stop on our tour of the Southern States and a lovely introduction to Miami. Perfect as a relaxing place slightly outside the main beach area.

This is also the one drawback of the hotel as it's a pricey taxi ride to the beach.

It's upmarket restaurant (Palme D'Or) is excellent and the best spot we ate in Miami, beating a number of the other "Top Ten" Miami restaurants hands down. The day-to-day Italian restaurant (Fontana) is fine and more than enough for a spot to eat, especially with the lovely courtyard setting.

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel. Excellent rooms, good service, a touch of history and excellent facilities. Wish we'd had another couple of days there!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark W
BiltmoreHotel, Managing Director at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Biltmore Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to experience our restaurants. I hope you can come back soon and enjoy more time at the hotel!

Send, Surrey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent four nights at the Biltmore in May 2014. We arrived after a long journey from London and were greeted very warmly by the bellman and receptionist. We were given a brief overview of the hotel and facilities and then shown to our junior suite. The room was very comfortable and quite different from the usual corporate feel of a lot of hotels. The only tiny disappointment is that, as is often the case in US hotels, the bathtub is small and not really suitable for a long soak in the tub. But the bathroom was clean and well maintained, the bed comfy and the sitting area also vey comfortable.

Over the four nights we sampled all dining options: in-room dining, Fontana, Clubhouse and Palme D'Or. All were very good - with Palme D'Or being the standout experience (the seven course tasting menu was divine and the service immaculate). We also ate breakfast at Cascade and had drinks by the pool. In all cases the food and service was very good.

And the pool is beautiful. Very large, with plenty of sun beds and lots of shady spots for when you need to get out of the sun.

All the staff were excellent and we will have no hesitation in returning when we next visit Miami.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BiltmoreHotel, Managing Director at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Biltmore Hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy all that we offer including our pool and restaurants. I apologize for the size of the tub, since we are a historic hotel and a national landmark we are not able to remodel rooms/bathrooms.

I hope in the future when you are back in Coral Gables you are able to stay at the Biltmore Hotel once again!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We came to this hotel for my dad's CME. Had huge pool. Slow valet service. It had a lot of history. Very convenient location so you could see the city. Beautiful view. Not free breakfast. Hope you like it

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
BiltmoreHotel, at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Abhay

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback! I apologize for the slow valet service, I will certainly note that. I do hope that you can come back to the beautiful and historic Biltmore Hotel.

Schenectady
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Classy historical hotel, very enjoyable stay. Stayed three nights during graduation, so hotel was jam packed. Location is ok, but you won't be walking anywhere, they do however offer a free carpark. Stayed in a Jr suite that had more than enough room and was very comfortable. Bathroom was a little tight for two. Housekeeping was spot on! Our room was only accessible by stairs, so heads up for those with knee issues. Did not use the pool, which is hugh, but my sister rented a cabana and said it was fabulous. Golf was ok. Gym looked nice, did not use.
There is a $20/day facility fee - so for the very measly downside. No coffee in the room, but it is available in the lobby until 6:30 am lol. There is continental bfast in the Cellar Club with free refills if you keep your cup (did not hear about that until our drive back to the airport). Lemon/cucumber water in the lobby is sporadic.. I know it's Florida, but do not count on it all day. Daily paper was only delivered one out of three days. Room service menu was not picked up, however manager did rectify.
Absolutely would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Katalina,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Biltmore Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay, however I am sorry about the minor inconveniences you had! I do hope that you come back and have another positive experience.

Sincerely yours,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were here graduation weekend. I do not recommend this weekend. The whole hotel was over booked and all the staff were pushed to the limits. Saturday night every possible room or alcove had a party in it. The pool decking was over crowed to the point of brawls over chairs and towels the the pool attendants clearly were catering to regulars who obliviously had tipped well in the past. Im not sure what the daily activity fee is for, but everyone wants a large tip for what you would expect any hotel to provide. One of the events on Saturday night had a band that had our room shaking (glasses in room were rattling) until 11pm. We had several rooms and a 2year old who could not sleep with that noise. You know, most guests have plans the next day and not everyone wants a band shaking their room until that party is over.
I did read another comment about noise in the walls. We had this as well. It was as if old pipes where being turned on and off all night. I know the hotel is "haunted" but I think it was the pipes.
The bed was comfortable.In One of our rooms the A/C never got below 75 and was uncomfortable for our guests. Mothers day brunch..... booking 6 months out. Any food you would like -to the point of excess, it was very nice -but the$ price$. No one can possibly eat as much food as they charge for, and again the large tip for pouring some drinks as you get buffet food- which was very good, but never again. It is not worth it. If you don't care about over spending- then this is your hotel.

Room Tip: coffee and light snacks in morning in the LL bar area if you don't want another big breakfast up...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
BiltmoreHotel, Managing Director at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay while at the Biltmore Hotel. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and dissatisfaction you had. Please note that I will be looking into your comments further as the Biltmore prides itself on excellent customer service.

I do hope that one day you can come back to the Biltmore and give us another chance in giving you a positive and memorable experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
Downtown
Four Seasons Hotel Miami
Downtown
Mandarin Oriental, Miami

Been to The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!