“I Found That I Don't Really Care About the History of Coral Gables That Much”

Coral Gables Museum
Ranked #10 of 47 things to do in Coral Gables
Reviewed 3 July 2014

When we went there was a mini-golf course set up and it was run down and broken--not at all fun to play. The rest of the museum was dedicated to the history of the area and all I learned was that I really didn't care about the history of the area that much.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is an adorable little museum in the heart of Coral Gables. Despite living around the corner it took me over a year to get here (tickets via a deal site- but regular price is about $7 pp). When I visited they had some art installations that were not permanent and were not overly impressive but the real gem in this museum is the permanent history of the are and Merrick family. There was a lot of history crammed into the couple rooms and I loved the old pictures. For living in the area I found it extremely interesting to see the history and photos. The building itself is also old and unique. There is a square out front where they frequently have events such as free concerts. Just be sure that when you go it is not closed for a private event. I believe they also do a family day.

I then returned the following week with my boyfriend for a walking tour of the area that I saw advertised when there the week prior. It was a bargain at $10 pp and lasting almost 2 hours. The tour was small and I was told it was a fairly new program but was expanding to every Saturday (at 10am). The guide was not quite as knowledgeable (at answering questions etc) as I would have liked but he did make up for it in enthusiasm and his willingness to just walk us right into the lobby of cool buildings that I never would have seen on my own. We practically walked by my own house and I still got to see things in a new way and parts of buildings that I haven't seen in over 3 yrs of living here. When we returned he offered us to see the museum (which i had paid for the week before- I didn't realize it was included in the walking tour).

I would highly recommend doing the walking tour for the interesting history and it is a bargain since you get to also see the museum at the end.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

A small museum but very much part of the community with events outside on the plaza every week and changing exhibitions and concerts inside

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This museum while small compared to others around town , has a quaint and uniqueness of it's own. Always finding interesting and innovative ways to get the local community involved. After all isn't that what museums are suppose to do? From Parcor adventurist jumping off walls to more subdue lessons of Rums from different countries. It really is very informative and always a great time. The Architecture is very reminiscent of the Spanish era and it's beautiful surroundings. Excellent to visit during the Gallery walks. A must on my list !

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This is a great museum in a historic building right in downtown Coral Gables. While the museum is a bit light on physical objects/actual artifacts the exhibits are still very engaging and informative. Imaginative use of space and some very creative presentation. We really enjoyed our visit. Do take a moment to explore the spectacular reliefs on the building's exterior and the unique neo-Mediterranean architecture of the neighborhood as a whole.