“Save room for dessert!”

Cuisines: Colombian
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Save room for dessert!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have been to this restaurant twice and both times it has been very good. This time was in celebration of my birthday. I had the Bistec a caballo which was a very large portion and there was no way I could eat it all! They brought out a piece of chocolate cake for dessert and it was possibly the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten. I do not normally eat regular chocolate cake but this was no ordinary cake and I highly recommend it!

• Visited November 2013

Coral Springs, Florida
“Best Kept Secret in Coral Springs”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We eat here often and the food is always delicious! Great service, simple and family friendly atmosphere. Definitely recommend all the salads, Salmon, Mahi Mahi, burgers, quesadilla and Sweet Plantains!! The chocolate cake is so yummy too!

Visited October 2013
“Excellent Food and Value”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Medellin is a family run and operated restaurant that serves excellent authentic Colombian food. The preparation is top notch as well is the staff. It is a small place but we have never had to wait. They serve beer and wine and the prices are very good. There should be hype about Medellin since it is one of the best restaurants in town. It site behind Dunkin Donuts at the NW corner of 441 and Wiles Rd. It is a must try for everyone and we will be back as we have already 4 times.

• Visited January 2013
Newark, Delaware
“Why the hype?”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This restaurant has gotten a lot of excellent reviews. I can sort of see why. The wait staff is very pleasant. The portions are big. The problem is that the food really isn't very good. It is not terrible, but there is nothing special about it, so I don't understand the hype. To put my cards on the table, I really don't know anything about Colombian food, but I have lived in various places in Latin America (Mexico, Venezuela, Peru), and I have liked the food in each. This food seemed like a bland version of Cuban food. (I do like Cuban food--quite a lot.) I ate their signature dish, the bandeja. It consisted of a very thin but remarkably tough minute steak, a chorizo that was nowhere as good as Mexican chorizo, bland red beans, white rice, a fried egg (delicious: I like fried eggs) and some fried mature plantains (maduros), also good. Another person in my party had an appetizer plate. Lots of not very tasty fried foods. Again, nothing special, nothing really delicious.

Is it that Medellin cooks Colombian food badly? Probably not. My suspicion is that Colombian food is just not that great in comparison with other Latin American cuisines. I have started adding some comparators to my reviews. If I don't like this food, what would I suggest for Latin American food that isn't Mexican in this area? My suggestion would be Little Havana Restaurant on Federal Highway. From a very downscale perspective, I would recommend a Peruvian grilled chicken chain called La Granja Parrilla, now serving lots of lower end seafood, or La Bamba for Mexican.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Peter C
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

I have never written a review before but we've been going to Medellin since it opened and felt it deserved public recognition. It's hard to find but worth the effort. It's family owned and operated. We always have great service and the food is excellent and reasonably priced. I specially recommend, the empanadas, any of their fish with the coconut rice, the pollo boracho(drunken chicken), the paella(not in the menu) and the Tres Leches(Colombian style). Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!