“Good selection, was better”

Doris Italian Market
Ranked #5 of 302 Restaurants in Coral Springs
Cuisines: Italian
“Good selection, was better”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The prices and selection on produce was much better than any of the local chain grocers. They updated this store a year or so ago and prices were inflated. The service is not the nicest but could be because they are always busy and in a rush. Publix has enough employees to not be in a rush and willing to take time to help you. The service difference used to be more acceptable to me because I was saving significant money and getting better quality produce. Since prices have increased I don't know who will be cheaper on what I am looking for Publix or Doris. Used to be no brainer that Doris was. So since I can get more of my shopping done at Publix, Doris is much smaller selection of non produce, I just go there now. Still take a rare trip to Doris for meats/seafood as the quality seems higher for same or slighly less price.

• Visited June 2014
DorisMkt, Owner at Doris Italian Market, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Tonykak,
We truly appreciate the time people put in feedback in order to hear directly from our customers. In fact, we are always flattered when we, a locally owned 5 store chain, are constantly compared with billion dollar juggernauts like Publix, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Fresh Market. But I do wish to address a misconception. There have been dramatic cost increases industry wide for grocery stores. The cost of beef, pork & poultry have been affected by many factors including feed cost, farmers increasing the cost of a whole cow so they can raise less and make the same amount of money. Our business plan has specific formulas for mark up and those formulas have not changed. While you say we inflated our prices, that is not the case. We are still cheaper than Publix in many areas including our Boar's Head products, our produce (just compare a couple items like peppers & tomatoes), and I will put our bakery products, which are made from scratch on our premises, against any one. We believe in long term success, that is why two years ago, we expanded and renovated this location. By doing so, we added more than 10 full-time positions and numerous part-time positions. If we inflated our prices, I do not think we would have done all this. We could have taken our money and ran, but after 18 years and 2 expansions, we are still around among a town that has over 8 Publixes, a Whole Foods, a Fresh Market, 2 Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Stores, a Bravo, and 2 Aldis on the outskirts. We have built many relationships with our customers and through our services which include catering, we have become a part of many families and have shared in the joys and hardships of many. I have personally witnessed many children grow up in this store. This kind of fortune does not happen to a business that takes advantage of it's customers. We are not perfect by no means, but we strive to provide the best possible service. While I appreciate feedback good and bad, the feedback should be constructive and quite honestly, I would be questioning a large business like Publix at how a small chain like Doris can be cheaper on many items and competitive on everything else. They clearly have buying power that eclipses ours yet we reinvest in our stores (we do not have shareholders) with our credit on the line and because the food industry has been experiencing major cost increases, I guess it seems easier to blame the retailer. Also note that Whole Foods was found guilty of price gouging. The days of $1.99lb sausage and $1.29lb boneless chicken breast are done for now, but I assure you, when our costs go down, so do our prices. Because of our long term philosophy, we wish to make a living, not a killing. It is what has helped us become neighborhood fixtures in the towns where we are located. So again, I appreciate the feedback and I am sorry that you feel that we were better, but if that is because our prices have increased, I wanted you to know why prices have increased and I hope you question big stores like Publix at why they aren't substantially cheaper than a 5 store chain in departments like Produce, Meat, Deli, Bakery, and Wine. If there are not enough people on the counter, we will review our schedules and be sure all employees on the clock are available to serve. As an owner, I strive to give the customers what they want. I do hope you have a better experience with us next time. I truly appreciate your input and I hope I clarified a few things. Thank you for your business.

fort lauderdale,fl
“A great neighborhood market”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have lived in a Coral Springs for over 30 years and started going to Doris's many years ago. You can count on everything being fresh. The bakery is one of the best in town. The rug galah is terrific. The meats and fish are plentiful with cuts any way you like them. Prices on some things are a little higher than others, but never outrageous. I am glad they are here.

• Visited July 2014
Margate, Florida
“Great selection with great prices”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Amazing produce, cold cuts and meat selection, not to mention the specialty italian products. Liquor is quite affordable as well.

Visited June 2014
florida
“Best outside NYC ”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Great produce unbelievable pastries and cakes gelato deli counter with the paired Italian delicacies and butcher shop with prime meats and homemade sausages the best around

Parkland, Florida
“rude staff and overpriced”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I know Doris Italian Market has a loyal following, but I am not in that group. I find the,counter people rude and many of their items overpriced even by Florida,'s already overpriced grocery prices. I went for an advertised meat special, and discovered the meat was not even US Choice.,.

I won't be back.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank _eiffeltrav
DorisMkt, Owner at Doris Italian Market, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
I am sorry to read that you had a poor experience. As an owner, I am always in the store and I wish you had asked for me or my store manager and allowed us the opportunity to rectify your situation. Customer service is a cornerstone of our business because we understand that there are many things in our store that can be purchased elsewhere. As for your meat situation, we sell select, choice and prime meats. If you could not find the choice meat you were looking for, an employee would have been more than happy to help you find it. We sell what we advertise. I hope you reconsider your stance with us and come again. Please ask for me, Gary.