“Surprise!”

Price range: US$10 - US$18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This is a staple restaurant for Citrus County. Our new location is now located back on Hwy 19 Located right across from Citrus Kia. Lou is still around checking the quality of all the food that leaves his kitchen. The Boathouse has been around since the 80's and will continue for years to come. We are much larger then are last location and have the ability for banquets and special occasions. The restaurant is decorated beautifully with murals of underwater sea life and nautical boats and anchors galore. We pride on keeping our restaurant clean knowing how important food management is. Our servers are very friendly and always meet our customers with a smile. Please come and try our new location for youself. We dedicate ourselves to making sure all of our patrons leave full and feeling that they recieved a good meal for a fair price!
Reviewed 8 March 2014

After reading the other reviews of this place, I was expecting a poor meal when one of my professional societies held a meeting there. But I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the group meal. The roast beef was actually medium rare, and sliced quite thick. The baked potato was fine (well, what can you do to a baked potato?), and the braised carrots were really tasty and well done. The service was slow, but we did have more than 50 in our party, so I cannot complain. Perhaps the restaurant should have given us extra wait-staff.

So I have given these guys a better rating than I expected to.

1  Thank George E

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have eaten at several restaurants in this area so I thought I would try this one. Not much from the outside but that can be misleading. So ...I ordered gumbo and a fried shrimp and grouper plate. But first.....the servers....look like a bunch of thugs. Nice but not too impressive. The guy that served me was missing a major tooth. First thing on the table were biscuits drenched in garlic sauce. One bite and and I drank half my tea. Then came the gumbo. I lived in New Orleans for 20 years and you can never find gumbo like there. But it is good seeing what comes. That was the only good. Instead of calling it gumbo they should have called it salt and sausage soup. It was pretty bad. Then came the fried shrimp and grouper. Now fish is fish so it is the coating that makes it. This coating was a taste less coating. Rarely have I been to a restaurant where evey thing was bad. This place won that prize.

1  Thank BCollyer
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Christmas Day 2013

With the son here for the holidays and being only the 3 of us, we decided we did not want to cook. We wanted to go out and have a lovely meal so we made a resv. at the Boathouse (big mistake) because you had to have a reservation on Christmas day( per the restaurant). We arrived a few mins. early and were immediately seated. Well, it all went downhill from there. Our server took our drink order and we were served within a few mins. After a long wait of about 20 mins she returned and we gave her our food order.... And we waited and waited( 30 mins) for the salad and rolls. Waited another 45 mins for the main course. Food was not hot. It a sloppy looking mess on the plate and looked as if the plates were just slung out as fast as could be . There were no bread and butter plates on the table so we held our rolls in our hands while eating our salad. If there had been place mats that would have helped, but noooo, it was a bare table for a holiday meal. . Did we dare to send it back? No, as we were very hungry by then. Even if we had dared to do so our server was nowhere to be seen (probably having a nervous breakdown). Some people walked out. Everyone was waiting and waiting. If my husband and I had not had a guest with us we would have walked out and I have never done that in my life. Ate and wanted to get the heck out of there, but could not get a check... had to go looking for it. I found our server at the bar totaling her checks. I asked her what the problem was with all this chaos and she replied it was because the owner had let people in without reservations thus throwing everything off. Come on Mr.Owner is it worth it for a few extra bucks to ruin your patrons Christmas meal? We have not returned since that day, I must say we used to go for breakfast at least twice a week and it was good. Too bad for I am sorry to say this place probably lost a lot of repeat patrons that day. So sad. Sounds like they are in desperate need of a new management makeover. ROBERT IRVING where R U ?

1  Thank Janice A
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Had dinner there on Feb. 14. All started out well..waiter took our orders..had our drinks and salads at the table promptly,,,,down hill from there on...3 orders for the triple seafood platters..prime rib with sweet potato...steak and baked potato...My triple seafood platter was missing the scollops...my friend got the scollops and they looked to ugly to even eat. My husband steak came come with a cold bake potato...would not even melt the butter. My friends was finished with her prime rib before her potato was even brought to the table..she had to ask for it. Our waiter seem to disappear after our salads were served...we had to just catch someone passing by to ask for things left off...I had grouper and have to say it was very good but described it to a fisherman and he said that was not grouper....whatever it was good. There is no reason for this restaurant to be this bad...managers need to be replaced and a experienced chef needs to be hired.

1  Thank oneless45
Reviewed 1 January 2014

It was a bad experience from start to finish. My daughter used to be a waitress so we always give people the benefit of a doubt when it comes to food service, mistakes happen. This was a train wreck. It was pretty busy so we ended up waiting a while to see our server. We placed our drink orders and meal orders at the same time. My wife ordered her baked potato with no sour cream and extra butter. I ordered fish with green beans instead of coleslaw. We get our drinks and no one comes back to see how we are doing, talk about the wait times, or fill our drinks. We find someone to fill our drinks and our server brings out salads and says she will be right back with dressing. 15 minutes later, we have dressing and still no drink refills. We asked for those from a random employee and got the wrong drinks and they insisted they were right. What happened to the customer is always right? Then we wonder what is going on, so we ask the hostess because the server is no where to be found what we can expect for a wait time. We were told, they were trying there best, the kitchen got really slammed. You should be able to handle a full restaurant. That is a bad excuse for the poor service we received. After about an hour and 30 minutes, our food comes out. My wife's baked potato had sour cream, and we all had cole slaw instead of green beans. The server said sorry, they were out of green beans. Not only did they not inform us of the extreme wait times and ignore us, they substituted stuff without telling us when they ran out. It was especially irritating that I specifically replaced the coleslaw and she still brought it out. My daughters mashed potatoes tasted like instant mashed potatoes and the prime rib was ok. During our meal, they started cleaning the restaurant with a very large amount of bleach and that made my daughter ill. A manager came by our table right when our food came out and did not show any interest in our poor experience. Our server offered free drinks and desserts, but we did not want any food that smelled like bleach or would come out of that restaurant. Who knows, we might have ordered cheesecake and received coleslaw instead. It was a combination of poor service, an uncaring staff, bad food, and an overall bad experience. I would never ever recommend this place to a stranger or my friends and family. Everything was awful!!!!!

1  Thank Hugh A