“Beautiful facility with great amenities - relaxing!”

Plantation on Crystal River
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The Plantation is just what we needed to relax, rest and recreate! The grounds are beautful, including the pool area. Staff was very attentive, providing everything we needed, and so friendly. We enjoyed the boat tour seeing the manatees that swim up Crystal River from the ocean. Huge, fascinating creatures. The food at The Plantation is very good and so well presented. Fresh is the key word for me, and everything we had was top quality. The Sunday brunch was excellent. The atmosphere in their newly renovated dining room is relaxed and casual. We chose to be seated looking out at the pool area, but the tables around the fireplace also looked very inviting. We were very pleased with our experiences at this resort and WILL be returning. Maybe a round of golf next time.

1  Thank Busyinnkeepers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,652)

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This property just underwent an extensive remodel. I am handicapped. The room I was in had the best accessible bathroom I have ever been in. Our room was gigantic. The mattress was so good we asked what kind it was and are considering buying one. The group I was with also rented a hospitality room. It had a full size refrigerator, and a microwave. Couches, chairs, and tables were all included. There was a large flat screen on the wall. Wi Fi was free in the hospitality room. My only down side is the $10 per day for WiFi in our hotel room. As others have commented this could be a deal breaker for next year. 32 of us came on this trip and are not happy about the $10/day charge.

We also used the dive center. There is a very reasonable $5 per stay boat launch fee if you bring your own kayak, which we all did. The staff in the dive center were professional, courteous, and helpful.

Service in the dining room was good both in the main room and in our private dining room. The food was good but not outstanding. An inventive chef would be a plus. This part of the gulf offers a great variety of seafood. The menu did not reflect that.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rabbit1945
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is not the first time we stayed at the Plantation. Since our last visit the hotel has been renovated. Its a nice hotel, the food is good and the service is good for breakfast, We had a very friendly server both mornings. The rooms were nice and clean. The Manatee Swim was awesome. It was cold, but we had towels and hot chocolate afterwards and the wet suits were in great shape and a lifesaver in the 35 degree air temps. We saw lots of fish,including Tarpon and Snook and seeing the Manatees was a life time experience. I agree with the lack of storage for valuables. I would bring a dry bag for your stuff on the boat. And the lack of free wi-fi in the rooms really bugs me. I had an ipad with wi-fi and 3G or I would have been lost. Free Wi-fi is expected as much as having a dryer in the bathroom. Please change that policy. I will return, but only when the weather is warmer. We took a side trip to Tarpon Springs and that is always fun, leave room for baklava.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank KHegenberger
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This place has everything! The hotel juts got a face look and it looks amazing. I love the new restaurant and Bar. The new updates in the room looks amazing. Great place for a wedding, a family vacation, or a quick get away. I love that there is a spa and golf course there as well. Awesome!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RKWB
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband combined a "Swim With the Manatee" trip with an overnight at the Plantation Crystal River Resort. The Manatee Swim trip was a package deal through the Plantation Resort. It was freezing cold but that's the best time to see, swim, and be up close with hundreds of manatees. I have never seem so many manatees in one spot. I think Crystal River, Florida has more manatee that assemble together than any other place in the world. The manatee are so gentle and unique.This had to be one of the best trips we have taken in a long time. The room was excellent as was the view of the water .Do ask for a room with a water view. I must say the breakfast that came with the Manatee trip was perfect. Either dine at the restaurant ( a tad pricey) or go to Crackers.For lunch eat at the Plantation as the food is very good. The cob salad is great.

Room Tip: Downstairs Room with a water view.
4  Thank dovewood
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My wife and I spent 3 days at this beautiful hotel. We had some absolutely wonderful experiences and some constructive criticism. First the good - the rooms are extremely nice, with a view overlooking the river, beds were very comfortable, bathrooms perfect. I travel all over the world, and we have stayed in some 5 and 6 star resorts, and this would rate about a 4. The staff couldn't have been nicer, all the way from the cleaners to the front desk. The food was really good, and the best that we had in Crystal River (more rating on other restaurants will be given). She-crab-soup was delicious. We both had the salmon special which was extremely well prepared and wonderful. Unfortunately, the spa is closed Sundays and Mondays. My wife would have like to take advantage while I golfed, since the weather was quite cold.

The Manatee Swim was a great experience, the dive shop at the Plantation is friendly and thoughtful, and our guide, Captain Paul couldn't have been more knowledgeable and intuitive to our individual needs. We had a fantastic experience and a lot of fun, especially when Captain Paul did his best imitation of an Italian Captain (inside joke - have to ask him).

The golf course was OK, not spectacular, but decent. Greens were in great shape, and fairways kept up very well. Just not an incredible layout, but enjoyed it anyway.

Now the criticisms: If you want to be considered as a destination, I believe that WiFi should be an automatic. Having to pay for ATT Wireless is a complete rip-off and extremely expensive, especially for people like my wife and I who travel with iPhones, iPads, etc. Each device gets charged per day. Plantation - take a note - WiFi is cheap - put it in, or don't expect return visits. We stayed at a cheapo hotel on the way to Florida, and it offered free WiFi. Also, without any other entertainment, an opportunity to rent a movie would have been nice.

Dive shop - your guide to preparing us was horrible. We didn't have a place to store our clothes and valuables that was secure, (they have lockers, with no locks) which meant we brought our clothes and valuables with us on the boat, and had no dry location - everything was wet. My expensive iPhone was OK, but could have been a problem. Tell people to bring a waterproof bag with them for their valuables and clothes, and tell them to bring extra towels. Also, a waterproof camera is a must. One last thing, when you put a wet-suit on, the zipper goes in back - something else that the dive shop could have informed us on, after all we are novices.

2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Had an excellent time with my co-workers on our annual managers retreat. Staff were friendly and rooms were new and clean. The bed was very comfortable, and the temps were just right for sleeping with the windows open to enjoy Florida air.

The food was good, but not great. They provided us with to-go lunches one day that were pretty lousy.

All in all, I would return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business