“Really disappointed!”

Plantation on Crystal River
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This Resort, as they call themselves, should never be called a Resort. The exterior brick has been recently spray painted in white, which is OK. But the overspray gave a weird tint to the gray roof shingles.
Doors into the lobby were also painted by brush. But apparently not sanded prior to painting and show it. Paint all lumpy around window paines.
Parking lot needs sprucing. Parts of the lawn are mud holes.
But the last straw was dinner. Ordered their Special, Blackened Talapia over beans. My wife an I love Talapia. I'm sure this was a good piece of fish before they ruined it. It was so spicy hot it burned our mouths. Blackened & Cajun are not the same. I''ve had Cajun before and love it. But this was outrageously spicy hot. We both sent it back. My wife decided that some Vanilla ice cream might help with the burning in her mouth from the talapia. That didn't work either. The waitress topped it with strawberries and a strawberry sauce. My wife just wanted PLAIN vanilla ice cream.

Finally, the waitress was simply not up to the job. She forgot all about my wine order. Then she forgot a portion of another patrons order. Then she forgot to read the specials to another patron. My wife ordered her salad with "NO ONIONS." Naturally it came wigth loads of onions.
What a fun meal.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Abartlett22, General Manager at Plantation on Crystal River, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the opportunity that your feedback provides for us to enhance our guest experiences. Our buildings have been painted white since 1952 when the plantation was started. Since this time many different companies have owned and managed the hotel making various changes as you can imagine through the years. We are continuously working through the renovation process in this hotel in the few years that have and will continue to enhance our look and feel for our guests. In the past month alone this area of Florida has had the wettest winter on setting record rainfall amounts and it is because of this that the grounds have been inundated with water.

In regard to your dining experience we are working through a complete re-structure at the beginning of this season in our food and beverage programs, training and staffing and we are working towards a new product that truly represents the quality we strive for as well as the local dishes and service that this area of Florida is known for. I would like to personally invite you back in the future so you may experience our new offerings and service. If you may be interested please contact me directly

Andrew Bartlett

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed for two nights by the end of December 2013 in this nice old-style hotel, which is surrounded by gardens and water with wanatees very close by. I can recommend to do the boat trip that starts from the hotel grounds. The room was spacious, internet worked well. I must admit that the hotel looks better from the outside than inside, where it is a bit worn down. But overall our stay was enjoyable.
A tip: if you don't want to swim with the wanatees, drive a bit around through the residential areas which have lots of canals. There are many low bridges from where you can spot easily wanatees.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had one day before visiting friends at The Villages and book this location not exactly sure what we would find. Plantation is a 'gem' of a resort located on Crystal River.....the 'inn' like atmosphere....large rooms....great food.....employees very hospitable.....and just very comfortable. Kayak.....pontoon boats/rides....18 hole plus 9 hole golf course. A place that I will go back to......just sorry we could not stay longer. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: I does have spa....great Sunday brunch!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to swim with manatees and there were lots of them! Used hotel package which was convenient with marina on site so well worth it. Included breakfast buffet was good. Room was ok, double mattress worn out no support, bathroom clean, noisy a/c unit. I was awakened early by people talking in adjoining room, fridge was nice and cold and I liked the complimentary hot tea. Big heated pool but towels provided were very thin & harsh.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We just stayed here overnight. We arrived late and left early. But, the little time we spent there was enjoyable.

Our room was clearly updated. The bathroom looked brand new. The furniture and carpet looked new. The beds and pillows were very comfortable.

Check-in was fast and very friendly.

The best part -- we got our room for significantly less than other local chain hotels.

If we're ever passing through Crystal River again, we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Let me start by saying the reason I stayed here was to do the manatee tour, which was first class with Captain Ross Files. The Dive Shop was onsite. This made it easy to make my 6:15 am appointment to get suited up and out on the water. Cap't. Ross was fantastic! His knowledge, enthusiasm, and empathy toward the manatees is genuine. I highly recommend his tour. Actually, all staff members at that shop were very nice and showed an interest in wildlife, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

My room was appointed nicely with down pillows, a frig, and a nice deep tub. It was clean, and pretty. I have no complaints. In room wi-fi was FREE. They give you a code at the front desk. I chose the lowest priced room- upstairs, parking lot view and was pleased with quality and appearance.

The grounds are beautiful here. So much wildlife with osprey, dolphins, manatees. I like this place and recommend it!!!

Room Tip: I had the lowest priced room. Upstairs. No balcony. Easy to walk to the pool, the gazebo and enjoy t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank physiok
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My fiance and I recently stayed at Plantation and everything was absolutely phenomenal. Jessica at the Front Desk was extremely sweet and attentive 5 star service for sure. Travis at the restaurant also stood out. Amanda, in housekeeping was also very nice. Every time we were within several feet of her she greeted us and made sure everything was perfect. The staff at the dive shop was very informative about the local area and gave plenty of tips for our day out on the river.The room was very comfortable and extremely clean. The only thing I would have liked was a more comfortable bed. The down pillows helped with the comfort. Entire property was very quite and overall relaxing, the ambiance was extremely tranquil at.
We will definitely be back especially for the service provided.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple