“Nice Feeling of the Old South”

Plantation on Crystal River
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed this past weekend in the Rose Building. The room was lovely and very clean. The beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was updated. 2 meals in the dining room were very good. The grounds are lovely and relaxing. We took a sunset cruise that was very pretty and reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this place and stay here again myself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just enjoyed a fantastic Memorial Day Weekend at the Plantation. We were in the Jasmine building with a Garden View room. Yes, it is of the parking lot but we weren't planning on spending too much time in the room anyway. I have become somewhat of a hotel snob so I was a little nervous about our stay. I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were great and they were large compared to some of the new modern hotels I've occupied. The bathrooms did show the age of the hotel but they were clean with B&BW toiletries. My only complaints would be the lighting in the shower area, only one trash can and the need for more hooks. More hooks is usually my complaint for most waterfront hotels. There is never enough space to hang wet bathing suits and towels. The amenities were great especially having the dive shop right outside your door. The staff was very friendly and we really enjoyed the guys in the dive shop. They hooked us up with a pontoon cancellation, pulled us under cover during a crazy thunderstorm, took us on a beautiful sunset cruise and sent us on our way kayaking the next day. This was our first trip to Crystal River and we can't wait to return. I really don't think i would stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor garden view room in the Jasmine Building. No view but we didn't feel like pay...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here over memorial day weekend. My friends stayed in the jasmine rooms and we stated in azalea. The jasmine rooms were amazing, clean, updated, unfortunately we were in azalea. After seeing those rooms our room was a dump.we asked our friend to compare and even they were shocked. The smell reminded me of a highway rest stop. It got worse as the day went on...I suspect with the heat. The bathroom had no shelving. The carpet was gross...the patio chairs for our garden view room looked like someone spit chew all over them and the garden view was a view of the parking lot. If you stay stat in the jasmine area. Not worth it anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

location location.. I don't think there is a better choice in the area. Very impressive place from a distance. Looks Stately and impressive. Fact is the place is worn and dated. I was assigned the Rose building, the furthest from the center, pool, bar, restaurant etc.. (not a good choice) and closest to the golf course. I would prefer something closer to the center. They probably are ashamed of the carpet in the Rose building because it is the worst I've ever experienced, I'm sure that will be fixed soon. Over all, again a great choice but here are a few little things that can make a big difference. There are no pens or paper in the room, the shower has the least water flow I've ever seen and you can't make the water hot, you can get it warm but not hot, there is a terrible water growling sound in the walls in #191 and the $2.00 1980's clock radio is worthless. It won't tune in anything and you can't adjust the time for the alarm part. I was there 3 days and wanted a water front room and patio (which is really just a side walk with 2 plastic chairs). Problem is you can't use it cause you WILL BE LOCKED OUT… they warned us it might happen and for sure it did, (I got several excuses from batteries to salt?). I was outside at midnight with just bed clothes on getting some fresh air, when I was locked out. I had to walk all the way up to the desk in my bare feet and night clothes to get someone to help. Once I did they weren't sure if I would get back in that night. What was I going to do? Well an hour and half later they got me in. I asked to be moved the next day and never heard a thing. If you don't use the patio, shower or clock radio and you will be fine. On a positive note the pool area looked impressive and the tike bar was cool. We even saw a mother manatee and her baby for the pool bar. Again it is still probably one of the best choices around and once things get in order I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: the rose building is dated and too far from everything. ask for the Jasmine.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

When we first arrived, we were given a room in the farthest building. It was quite a walk, and when we went inside the room, there was trash everywhere, the beds weren't made, and it smelled disgusting. This was at 3pm and the room still hadn't been cleaned. We complained to the front desk and were given a room much closer, but with double beds instead of queen. We followed the biggest roach I've ever seen out the door and down the hallway, where my husband killed it. While sitting on the bed with my one year old daughter, a spider about the size of a nickel came crawling towards us on the pillow. We told the front desk that we wanted to leave, but were informed that it was too late to cancel (this was at 11pm, so we understood), but we made sure to cancel the reservation we had made for the next night! The next morning there was a spider bite on my daughter's leg. I was furious about everything, and asked to speak to a manager, but was informed that she was in a meeting. All I got from the front desk clerk was "I'm sorry". I have never left a bad review for any hotel, but this experience was awful. Also, we were staying here with a discount from a friend who works for choice hotel, and I still regret all the money we paid. Never again.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Billye M
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Four friends went for a couple days of R&R to play golf and mahjong. Our experience could not have been more pleasant: the staff( every single person with whom we had contact)in the hotel and at the course. was unfailingly kind, welcoming, courteous, helpful and interested in us.

Staffing was short at the Tiki Bar on Sunday afternoon, but the server/bar tender/ towel dispenser was the only service delay that we experienced. The person was very apologetic and regretful about the slow service.

Room Tip: Book early if you need connecting rooms. Check with the reservations people prior to arrival if y...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Spent two night here. Absolutely no complaints. The dive shop next door provided excellent tours and service. We saw manatees while both kayaking and snorkeling with the dive shop crew. The bar was a nice place to get both drinks and food.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple