“Nice place to stay but don't count on breakfast”

Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Denver, United States
“Nice place to stay but don't count on breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here 3 nights before our cruise. Rooms were very nice and comfortable. The staff was very nice. Shuttle service to the mall or downtown is super expensive. $100 for our party of 8. Breakfast was so-so and closed down early every day. I would stay here again for one night but the location isn't that great if you want to do other things unless you have a car.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have been a Hilton Honors Member for nearly 15 years. My family and I spent two nights in a two bedroom suite after a cruise from Dec 22-24. This was my worst experience with a Hilton Family hotel. There was something going on with the key cards and the outer doors. I had to have my room rekeyed every time we left an dre entered the room. After having exchanged the keys twice in the same day, when I called down to discuss the malfunctioning keys for the third time, the front desk was very unapologetic and suggested I come downstairs to have them rekeyed. I adamantly insisted that I would not come downstairs again and that they should send someone to bring new keys . After the maintenance personnel came he stated that there was nothing wrong with the door and that the front desk personnel obviously didn't know what they were doing. The following afternoon I had the same problems with the room keys. I went downstairs and asked to speak to the general manager about the keys and the lack of housekeeping. It was nearly 1:00 PM. The lady behind the desk whom I think was the head of housekeeping, said nastily that she was in a meeting and that I must have been doing something wrong to inactivate the keys and that the GM would get in touch with me. In two days I had several additional sets of keys and all but one nasty front desk clerk, no working printer in the business center or front desk and no contact from the
GM. A series of uncaring and rude staff. Definitely My worst experience with a Hilton Family Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tomgirll
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
We're terribly sorry about the room key issues you experienced and the poor service you encountered when bringing this issue to our attention. We truly value and respect each guest and completely understand your frustration regarding the situation. We're working with our team to ensure such missteps do not continue and ask that you contact us directly so we can follow up.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel seems to cater primarily to overnight travelers stopping before/after their cruise hence sadly, the management does not care enough about regular maintenance of the property. The main hotel building/lobby and common area facilities look great, however our room experience was something else. We spent 5 days at this property recently and it was just so so overall.
We initially ended up in a room with bugs in the kitchen (looked like little roaches). They were in the dishwasher, cabinets, wood floor etc. We even took pics to show the front desk staff! After having housekeeping check on it, we were told that they did not spot them so they could not fix the problem. After 2 nights, we were finally moved to another room for the next couple of days. That one was better and we did not find any pests/insects there. However, I was a little surprised at the staff reaction to simply move us into another room and I'm pretty sure they just rented the other room without further investigation.
The breakfast area was crowded and options were not many for a Hilton of this size.. They had the pre-made scrambled eggs and box pancakes every other day. No cut fruit and only one waffle maker and 1 jar of syrup for over 25 people; the breakfast breads were dry and plain. For almost 150/night, I think they can do better. Breakfast staff was not attentive and did not refill items and remove trash promptly to accommodate weekend crowd.
I gave them three stars only because they credited us one night after we complained about the initial experience and for the property location (convenient to FLL attractions/beaches with a rental car).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Avidtraveler2
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this opportunity to our attention and are glad we could provide you with a room switch. We are working with our pest control company to correct the situation. If I can assist you further, certainly let me know. Thank you.

Morrisville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Got in late after a terrible road trip before our cruise. Clerk gave me & my friends a break on the rate. Very pleasant staff & clean comfortable room & beds. Location was very convenient to cruise ship terminal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keith T
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is our "go-to" hotel for our night before/after cruises either out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. This visit was a bit more disappointing. We arrived a bit later in the evening. The light in the bedroom was out, called to have it fixed. They changed the lightbulbs but figured out the switch was the problem. It was too late and we needed sleep so we told them to forget it. Didn't housekeeping realize it didn't work? We all get ready for bed, go to turn TV on, doesn't work. This is the same hotel we had the same problem with 3 years ago with the TV not working. Just disappointing since we felt in the last we have had great experiences here.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Barbara F
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed at The Homewood Suites prior to a cruise. We arrived at the airport and as we were waiting for our luggage, I called the hotel to ask about the shuttle. They said it was en route. By the time we got our bags and walked outside- there he was, waiting for us! It was a big coach bus with a trailer. The driver dropped off at a few different hotels, but we were the first on his list.
Check in at the hotel went smoothly. Our room was 104, first floor. It was ok (not a fan of first floor rooms) except for the fact that there was an ice machine on the other side of the wall. It was pretty loud.
The room was very clean, smelled good and was comfortable. Check out went smoothly too. We purchased the transfer to the pier, aside from a little confusion, it went well.

As far as location goes- I am not sure what is in the area for restaurants. We met friends at the hotel who drove us around.

Breakfast was good. Waffles, premade omelett, cereal, bagles etc. We got to breakfast around 8am and shortly thereafter, it filled up. No place to sit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am giving this hotel a 1 rating even though the hotel itself was ok. It was clean and the room was huge.

However, I am livid over the customer service that is NOT provided at this hotel. We arrived by Tri-rail from the Palm Beach airport and I called the hotel to ask for the shuttle to come over across the street (it's a very busy road) and pick us up at Tri-rail. They have free shuttle to and from the airport, but the Tri-rail is much closer and across a very busy 4-lane highway. We were told they would not send a shuttle and to just walk across the street. So, we ended up risking our lives to cross this busy roadway with 4 pieces of luggage. (There were no taxis at Tri-rail).

They checked us in right away, which was around 2:00pm. This was great. We asked the front desk clerk about their shuttle to the local restaurants and to a grocery store nearby to grab some water & sodas. This is where is all goes to hell!

They use a shuttle service in Fort Lauderdale, this is NOT a hotel shuttle. We were advised to tell the driver to take us to Kmart after he picks us up from dinner. So, we did just that. We were told Kmart was close by & they would provide shuttle service to that store. The driver told us he had to drop us off at Marshalls, but it was in the same shopping center, so we could just walk down to Kmart. So, we said ok. Then, to walk back down to Marshalls when we call them to come pick us up again.

Well, when we arrived to the shopping area, I noticed Kmart across the street. The driver said he had to drop us off at Marshalls and we had to cross a very busy 4-lane highway (AGAIN!!), to get to Kmart. I asked him what how we were going to get back across to Marshalls with a case of water & three 12 packs of sodas. The idiot told us to steal a Kmart buggy and walk back across the street. WTH??? I told him he had to be kidding me! I also told him we would NOT be calling them back & that Hilton corporate would be getting a piece of my mind for them using such a crappy shuttle service. Their guests deserve much better service than that. Had we known that, we would have called a taxi--at least we would have been dropped off at Kmart. So, we had to risk our lives AGAIN to get over to Kmart and by now, we were beyond ticked off!!

So, once we were done, we called a taxi to come get us. Once we got back to the hotel, we spoke to the manager and a different front desk clerk. We told them everything and how ticked off we were about their terrible shuttle service. The manager did not care one bit & never even apologized, and yes, she was standing right there. The clerk said he was going to call the shuttle company and give us a call up to our room to find out what was going on. Needless to say, we never heard from him.

That's ok. We may be Hilton Honors members, but there are lots of other hotel chains out there and we will begin using them!!!

The breakfast was extremely lacking. Probably one of the worst of any Hilton hotels we've ever stayed in. There also was not enough tables and chairs to accommodate all of the hotel guests.

So, if you like terrible customer service, this hotel will be perfect for you. If not, I would recommend you choose another hotel in Fort Lauderdale. There are plenty of great ones there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennmaybe
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
We're so sorry to hear about the shuttle service issues you experienced and appreciate that quickly brought them to our attention. We truly value all our guests and regret that we did not follow-up with you sooner. We'll be in contact with you shortly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airp...
#9 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,728 reviews
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!