“I will never stay here again!”

Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Jupiter, Florida, United States
“I will never stay here again!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We booked a one night stay for $149.00 which included parking for 7 days. This was $30.00 more than without parking. When we checked in, I asked about the parking. I was told that anybody that stays there can leave their car for long as the like even without paying extra. Once we got to our room, we decided to go out to dinner. The SWAT tea was in the lobby and a woman was in handcuffs. Several of the SWAT team were wearing masks. It was quite frightening. When we returned we were told to call for the shuttle. We were told it would be 25 minutes. Forty minutes later I called again and she called the driver. He said no one told him to go to the Delta pick up area. So she told us it would be 10 minutes. I called again in twenty minutes, got in an argument and took a $16.00 cab ride to the hotel to get our car. As a Hilton Diamond member I was disgusted by the whole experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian T
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We appreciate your honest feedback and apologize for the unfortunate experience you witnessed. The safety and security of all of our guests is our top priority and your comments will help us to continue making every effort to ensure guests' comfort. We hope you'll consider giving us another chance to serve you.

Kind regards,
Marife Lehrer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Very nice hotel. It's comfortable, the front desk staff are excellent and very attentive of their guest. Breakfast was good. I like that the hotel is close to the airport as well as the complementary shuttle.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Chicago, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I enjoy my stay here. service was execellent!!! rooms are clean. I will be back again. Thank you. marife,angela and obed were wonderful stay. Great location!!!!Also the transportation to the restaurant is great.

Greenfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We really liked the hotel. I had called for a pick up up at the airport. She said it would be about 25 minutes, so I thought "no problem". Well, the red cap that helped us with the wheel chair down to baggage claim just up and left - so I was in a pickle. I had to go to the Southwest counter TWICE to get some help with the wheelchair so I could move the luggage. Well, THANKFULLY, the driver was nice enough to wait since he knew we were coming. I was so happy, because he said that the next shuttle wouldn't be there for another 90 minutes!! I thought that was great that he waited those few minutes for us - very thoughtful of him!!

We got to the hotel and our room was not quite ready, so we sat in the waiting area. It was comfy and we met another couple that was also going to be on our cruise, so we all chatted while waiting for our room. Our room was very nice - clean and roomy. I loved that there was a package of microwave popcorn. We were hungry - and we weren't meeting our friends for a couple of hours, so it was a welcome snack.

We got the shuttle for dinner at the restaurant that is attached to the Bass Pro Shop. It is really close to the hotel, so we were there in no time :) After we were done eating, we called for the shuttle and it was there within about 10 minutes.

The next morning, we signed up for the 10 am shuttle to the cruise port. First we ate a wonderful complimentary breakfast - waffles, eggs, cereal, muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice, yogurt (I know I'm missing a few things, but you get the idea). I LOVE waffles, so I was VERY excited to see the waffle iron!!

He loaded in our luggage into the shuttle and we were off! We stopped at the other cruise ship, so there was a little delay because of the increased traffic with fleet week. All in all, it was relatively fast to get from the hotel to the ship.

Overall - I would recommend this hotel. We were very happy with the hotel and the staff. They put out a very nice breakfast and had a large area for guests to eat. There was also a nice area if you had to sit and wait for your room - or you just wanted to socialize with friends.

The one drawback that I found was the lack of luggage carts. It looked like there was at least 6 of them the day we checked in, but people must have taken them and put them in their rooms overnight, because there were NONE the next morning. I had to make several trips to get the luggage down to the lobby. I know that was more of a problem with guests being rude and not returning carts, but it was still annoying.

ontario
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We enjoy Homewood and my husband chooses it whenever he can for his frequent business travel. We have stayed in many and always had a great experience...until this one.
I think that as this hotel is close to airport and cruises that maybe it is viewed as a short term "get them in and out" place. People are just there on the way to something else so maybe no need to try hard? I am speculating of course.
We arrived with no difficulty checking in. We had chronic problems with our key cards not working. It was ridiculous but we kindly requested new ones when this kept happening.
One day my son called down and said they were not working again. They I decided to head down personally to make sure they took it seriously as he is 12. My husband called down a few minutes later too. The service guy came up immediately and gave us some new keys. So that was good. I would say this was around 4:30 pm.
We turned in just before 11pm. There was .a knock on the door. It was the same service guy saying the front desk had told himwe were having card issues again. Nope. We had not called down for almost 7 hours and someone knocking at the door after 11 scared the crap out of me. I went back to bed and the phone immediately rang. A guy was saying the computer system said our room was unoccupied and he was just checking!!!! At 11:15 pm??? We had been to the front desk many times to get new keys, had called to get new keys and apparently the front desk had just sent the service guy up 3 minutes before. How could they not know if the room was occupied or not???!!!!!! It really scared me as I felt like someone may be trying to get in our room.
The next morning I spoke to front desk as I was concerned. I really thought both those incidents were bizarre. Nothing like that has ever happened. I also though they need to know in case it wasn't them who had dispatched service guy or them who had called. You never know.
They didn't have any answers or say much really. I told them I hadn't slept well as both things had scared me.
Front desk offered half off the nights and I asked if they could do more. She said she would ask manager.
I went back a bit later but manager not in yet. I was told the manager arrives a different times and they don't really know when?
Then I went back a third time. The front desk girl went immediately into office when she saw me. Then she came back and said manager said they could comp the night.
A major point was missed. I am grateful the night was taken off the bill but the money was not the issue. The disturbing phone call etc. was the main concern but I guess it wasn't manager worthy.
I also think that pressure washing the pool area while guests are in pool and children are on deck is a little less than welcoming.
A nice location that could do so much better service wise. We haven't given up on the chain but I would not return to that location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
We appreciate your family's loyalty to our brand and appreciate that you chose to stay with us while in Ft. Lauderdale. We're very sorry about the key card issues and for the disruptions you encountered from our staff. We're glad that we could speak with you and help rectify the situation but understand your discomfort. We're working with our team to improve some of our processes and better serve our guests. We hope you'll give us another chance to invite you back for a much better stay.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had a package deal with hotel, cruise shuttle and parking. I thought it was a great value. They took us to port of miami and we are flying back into Fort Lauderdale and will pick our car back up at the hotel when we get home.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the suites on April 27 and May 7th. We found the suites extremely inviting. The suite was clean, plenty of room for using internet, watching TV in living area and cooking in Kitchen as well as our bedroom with the most comfortable mattress and linen. Could compare to a 4 star rating in my opinion. Kitchen contained cooking dishes, utinsils, coffee, tea and a bag of gourmet popcorn. The best part was the awesome hot breakfast from 5;30 to 8:30 am and if you return in time, a dinner menu is available M-F for free. Not sure about the weekend. Stay there, you will be delighted!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airp...
#9 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,754 reviews
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,093 reviews
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!