“Serious Pest Control Problem”

Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Florida, Massachusetts
“Serious Pest Control Problem”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My children and I arrived at the hotel for a 5 night stay. Upon arriving we checked in and were given a convenient room on the first floor. Shortly after entering the room, I noticed a bug flying around my daughter, so I killed it and called the front desk. They sent maintenance who assured me that it was an innocent bug from outside. He then said he would be back when he checked with the front desk about moving us. Well, I waited an hour for him, but he failed to return, so I called the front desk and she informed me that they were sold out and that we couldn't be moved. She said that she would have him return to our room to see what could be done, but he never showed up. By this time it was too late to do anything (my son was attending a summer camp and had to be there in the morning), so we had to make the best of the situation and try to get some sleep. I woke up itching like crazy but I had a busy day planned so we went on our way. The next day the itching was so bad (my daughters and I had bites), so I went to the front desk to inform the clerk that something was eating us up and asked if we could depart early. She couldn't have cared less about what was going on...she just said that I could depart early. We had to stay until Friday due to my son's camp session but got out as soon as possible. I then explained again to the front desk clerk what transpired and she gave me the managers email address. I contacted the manager because they have a serious pest problem in that room and something needs to be done. I received a very general response stating that my satisfaction was important to them. I replied to her email to let her know that this issue was a serious one and required her attention, but she never replied to that email. The managers lack of care and concern infuriated me. I suffered for 4 nights, was ignored by their entire staff and arrived home with bites all over me! I think I deserve better treatment! At least a phone call to tell me that they fixed the problem. I wasn't at the hotel on a free voucher...I was a paying guest. I will NEVER stay there again and hope this review will cause them to make serious changes in their service and pest control.

3 Thank momSarasota_Florida
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
We appreciate your speed in bringing this issue to our attention. and we regret that you were not followed up with directly. We have since followed up with our pest control company, ensuring that you and future guests are taken care of. If you would like to discuss your concerns in greater detail, please contact us directly.

Marife Lehrer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
buffalo
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at this property for one night pre-cruise. Generally, we are a big supporter of Hilton properties, especially Homewood Suite hotels. However, this property did not reach our level of expectation in many ways and left us very disappointed in our choice of where to stay before a cruise. I booked our family a double queen suite with cruise transportation package back in November 2013. The most inexcusable occurrence was the 50 minute wait at the airport for their free shuttle. After we saw other hotel vans going by us 2 and 3 times while we were waiting, this is absolutely unacceptable. We did arrive at the property early due to an early flight out of Buffalo so I understood why a room was not available at 12:00. However, when a room was finally available for us at 4:00, we were told that they do not have any double queen rooms available and would offer us 2 King rooms. That had to work for us because we had no other options at this point. Was I happy?? Absolutely not! Our family was split down the hall and made getting ready with clothes and toiletries very difficult. When you reserve a room 8 months in advance, there is NO reason we should have not got what we reserved. Also, the two King rooms that we had both had a very fowl smell in them. The free breakfast the following morning was so crowded in the breakfast area that it was not at all possible to try to enjoy. The two positive facts were that the young man at check-in was very kind and apologetic for what had happened. Before I checked out, I spoke with him and explained our disappointment with the property and honestly told him that we would never choose to stay here again. I understand that it was issues out of his control so I do hope that management reads this review and seriously trys to make changes so that these problems do not continue to reoccur. There are too many choices in the Fort Lauderdale area to return to a property with such poor service.

Room Tip: If your room has a fowl odor, request a different room.
2 Thank loveisbliss
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
We're very sorry for the series of service missteps you encountered. We're working with our staff to address your concerns and reevaluate our processes. Your input will help us ensure that we remain one step ahead of our guests needs. We hope we can invite you back for a much better stay.

Marife Lehrer
Summerville, SC
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed overnight at this location the night before departing on a Carnival Cruise (Freedom) and were very pleased with the hotel. Both staff members at the check in desk were very nice upon our arrival. They were able to answer all our questions about shuttle service to the port the following morning. We chose this hotel because they also allowed for you to leave your car on their property while you were cruising and there was no extra charge for that. The "basic room" we booked was actually a two bedroom suite with a functioning kitchen (which we did not utilize). The bedroom even had a ceiling fan which was wonderful. The breakfast buffet the following morning was good as well, not just muffins and coffee but scrambled eggs and much more. It appeared during weeknight stays they also had free dinners available for their guests, we were there on a Friday night so did not get to partake in that benefit. Hotel is only minutes away from the port and also minutes away from a variety of restaurants. We will definitely return to this location on any future cruises we book from that port. It is also just as close to the airport as well for those travelers utilizing the airport.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TLuntsford
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Everyone was very helpful and polite. They went out of their way to insure everything was satisfactory. The managers reception was very good each evening. Although we did not partake of the breakfast I was told it was excellent by other guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel and the best experience that I have had at a Hotel. To start off the staff was incredible and so very accommodating, courteous, going out of their way to give everyone the best experience they have ever had. There was a flight cancelation and it was a little crazy. They were treating every customer with exceptional service, something very important to me. The manager Marife Lehrer was managing this like a conductor of a orchestra having her staff operate at their best. She even talked to those of us waiting to put us at ease. She was exceptional. The hotel and rooms were very clean and comfortable. I am in Ft Lauderdale several times a month on business, although this trip was for pleasure. I will not stay anywhere else from this point forward.

1 Thank Drmtraveler
Tampa, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Overall, I was satisfied with the quality of the room however, my room was almost the last down the hall. I woul'dve loved to get a room closer to the elevator and the front desk. Twice I could not gain access to my room. It began when I checked in. I thought it was a one time occurrence but next day when I returned from work, try as I would, I could not get in. I went to the front desk and had my key recoded and it was still the same. Because of my bad feet and I was taking food back to my room, I definitely didn't need the extra walk. I had to call from a phone in the lobby. The technician said it was the lock. I was locked out for a good say 30 -40 mins and I had to sit on the floor while the repair was being done. After checking out, I checked my points and found out that they did not participate in the Double points promotion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Decatur, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Waited at airport for over an hour for the hotel shuttle even though we let hotel know when we booked the room a month before that we would need airport shuttle service. Then after arriving at hotel at 4 pm were informed room wasn't ready. Breakfast the next morning was a zoo! The worker was really frustrated and there were sooooo many people you couldn't hardly move. Won't stay here again.

2 Thank Dan H
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
We're very sorry to hear that your experience with our shuttle service and check-in was an issue. We are working to improve our communication and more efficiently serve our guests. Thank you for your feedback and we hope we'll have a second chance to make a great first impression.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airp...
#9 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,760 reviews
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,098 reviews
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!