“Great new hotel with outstanding staff!”

Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Eagan, Minnesota
“Great new hotel with outstanding staff!”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

My family and I stayed at this property before and after our cruise. The rooms were very clean, spacious and modern. The breakfast was a bit of a disapointment, because only the cold foods were included and eggs, bacon, etc. costs extra. The manager was extremely helpful and offered many things to do with our free day there. We ended up having their shuttle take us over to the theme park near the hotel. There were a few places to eat within walking distance, but if you want more of a variety ask the staff for suggestions and then take their shuttle there. Also, the locally owned Italian restaurant was very good. If you are going on a cruise, I very much recommend walking over to K-Mart to pick up some beverages to take onboard. The manager also got us an early check-in at about 10 am which was great. The price of the shuttle to Port Everglades was very reasonable and competitive and got us there and back great. Overall, this hotel and it's staff make an outstanding place to stay!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Planeman11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,864 helpful votes
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We arrived at the Hyatt Place for one night prior to going on a cruise out of Port Everglades. We had, in part, picked the Hyatt because of the complimentary shuttle to the cruise port. Unfortunately, when we arrived, we were informed that not only was the shuttle not complimentary (cost $8.00 per person) but that it only ran at 10AM and 11AM (our cruise was at 9AM).

We arrived with about 12 bags between us, and received no offer by the staff to assist. We had to use the trolley to load all our bags and haul them upstairs by ourselves, making 2 trips at separate times (we had to park the car in between). We asked the manager to be sure we got a room close to the elevator, and received not only the room furthest removed from the elevators, at the very end of the hall, but the handicapped room. The second trip, there were no trollies downstairs, so I told the manager about it, and she just said sorry, some guest must have them. Another staff member looked on without offering any type of assistance. So what should I do with all these bags I asked. They just looked at me and said I don't know. After an frustrating exchange, they made a guest who was standing in the lobby go up and find the trolley. I waited in the lobby for over 30 minutes waiting for the trolley - when it finally arrived, there was no apology or offer of assistance while I loaded our big suitcases on the trolley while the bellman and manager watched.

Breakfast, slated to start at 6:00 AM, didn't get served until nearly 6:30 AM, so it was stressful to get it eaten in time. The buffet selection was extremely poor - just cereal, chewy bagels, day old fruit, and yogurt. I assume this was to encourage you to order hot cooked breakfast for an extra charge off the menu, which we did out of necessity. It was microwaved and awful. There was no coffee prior to 6:00 AM as advertised, so we had to buy it from them.

Since there was no complimentary shuttle as advertised, we arranged with the front desk to have a taxi come get us at 7:15 AM. We emphasized that we had a lot of bags and needed a van. They didn't call the taxi company, instead calling an individual taxi driver for Yellow Cab who also called himself "Superior Sedan Services" whose business card they had. When the guy arrived, he was in a regular city taxi (not the van w requested), reeked of alcohol, and refused to help with our luggage at all, citing a "sprained wrist". It was too late to get someone else by now, so we were stuck. After loading all our 12 bags somehow into the taxi, he screeched the tires, zooming wildly through traffic. He did backtracking along the way to run up the meter, then when we arrived and wanted to pay with a credit card he said the machine didn't work. After I unloaded all 12 of our bags from the taxi, and paid the $23.00 fare, he squealed the tires and sped off, leaving us eating exhaust. We were awe-struck by what Hyatt Place had set us up with.

Despite several very unsatisfactory occurences leaving a bad taste in our mouths about Hyatt Place, there were some positives. It was nice having the cafe - bad food and all - available as we got in late. The TV in the room was nice, and the room was good sized, though very simple. The location is by the freeway but not much else - it is quite a ways from the cruise port, and not recommended for people going on a cruise (there are much better options). Close to the airport though. The lobby was freezing cold so we couldn't sit there to eat at the cafe. The night staff, unlike the lady who checked us in, was very pleasant and helpful. The shuttle driver picked me up at the airport after dropping off my car, and was nice. However, those were not enough to outweigh the negatives that really downgraded our experience.

Overall, Hyatt Place, at $150 a night, was way overpriced for what it was. Don't confuse this with a regular Hyatt - it's more like a Holiday Inn Express. For that price, Hampton Inn does a much better job of this, and for less. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank Johann&Sandra
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 March 2010

This is a nice, new hotel located next to I95 and just south of FLL. As you would expect in a new hotel, the facility "sparkles" like new. Rooms are not any bigger than a regular hotel but have extras "shoehorned" in which results in a very small closet. No bathtub but nice shower, excellent bed, couch and HDTV. Small fridge is also in there as well as a desk and chair. Medium sized pool is on offer and a nicely outfitted workout space. Comfy lobby and eating area for included continental breakfast (please note this is NOT a "hot breakfast" unless you are willing to pay extra for eggs and such). Breakfast consists of assorted breads, cold cereals, fruit, yogurt, juices and coffee - coffee is ONLY available gratis at breakfast, you must pay at other times.
My major complaint revolves around getting a shuttle to pick you up at the airport. First of all, they are NOT part of the courtesy phone set up at FLL so you need a cell phone to contact them. Since I don't have a cell phone I had to borrow one to make my call. The hotel's number is answered by a very annoying automated system that does NOT include a choice for getting a shuttle ride. I made a guess and punched zero which rang and rang and rang. I tried the system again with exactly the same results. VERY FRUSTRATING. Ended up taking a cab and was reimbursed and told I must have called the wrong number - I did not. The annoying automated system identified itself as the Hyatt Place Airport SOUTH. These people do have a difficult time taking ownership of problems.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank DavidPortland
NW Indiana
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We loved our stay here. After our cruise we needed a place to stay before flying home and this place was perfect. My wife is asthmatic and very sensative to cigarette smoke so we usually stay at Marriot properties thanks to their no-smoking policy, but Hyatt has followed suite here by building a brand new hotel that has no smoking in any rooms.

I especially loved the 42 inch HD flat-panel that swivels between living area and bed area. I did not take advantage of it but it had a panel that would allow HDMI, VGA, Component, Composite RCA A/V just about anything you want to throw at it. Excellent for laptop video I-pod video game console, DVD player or the newer hard drive based media devices.

The room had a small refrigerator, free Wi-Fi Internet, and a great continental breakfast. We ate at Chiptle about 200 yards from the front door of the hotel but there was a lot of other "fast food" places near as well as well as other restaurants

We walked a block North on Bryan Rd to Bus number 4 to the beach for a buck and a half each.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank strangebrew68
OHIO
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Nice new hotel. Clean. Prompt airport shuttle pickup.CLose to restaurants
Unfortunately one of the reasons we booked this hotel rather than our usual Hampton Inn was to try a new hotel that offered complimentary airport and cruise port shuttle.
When I asked to sign up for the cruise port shuttle when I checked in, the prompt response " you know you have to pay for that" . I commented that I read in the webpage that it was 'complimentary" She said, "talk to the general manager"
things got worse as the general manager, stated " you are confused, perhaps you looked at the wrong webpage" and continued to insinuate that I was stupid, crazy and a liar in front of all in the lobby. This from a manager of a new hotel. Such customer service!
I was able to pull up the webpage and showed another employee who was very helpful that the webpage did in fact state complimentary airport and cruise port shuttles. I asked him to show the so called general manager to prove I was not confused and stupid.
Two minutes later, the nice employee brought a voucher for the shuttle ( hum, wonder why they already had these printed up, ~ had others complained on the false advertising.

My only concern with this hotel was the poor customer service from the general manager. He handled this very poorly. Hollering at me in the lobby and accusing me of being ignorant instead of looking at the webpage and seeing the error. I have no problem paying, if I knew upfront and wasnt treated like a moron.

• Stayed February 2010
6 Thank bridget22004
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 26 February 2010

For those not familiar with Hyatt Place, it was a reinvention of the AmeriSuites brand after they were purchased by Hyatt. The first Hyatt Place hotels were all ex-AmeriSuites. This Hyatt Place in Dania Beach is a brand new building directly across from a Hyatt Summerfield Suites.

I initially tried to book at the Hyatt Place in Plantation, but it was full. I am very familiar with the Plantation property and this new hotel is similar in both decor and layout.

A big improvement in the lobby layout is an increase in the available space for the continental breakfast. Some of the other properties are standing room only for breakfast. This one has a huge amount of dining space. The lobby also has 2 computers for free internet access if you forgot your laptop.

I love the Hyatt self check in/check out kiosks and I try to use them as much as possible. I am happy to report the software has been revamped and the kiosks are much faster. I completed the check in process at the kiosk in less than 2 minutes. I was also greeted by a friendly member of the staff while I was checking in.

Two other staff members welcomed me as I walked through the lobby to the elevators. The elevators are directly in the center of the hotel, the back of the elevator lobby leads to the rear parking lot.

Ice machines located on every floor. The ice machine is behind a closed door in the upper elevator lobby so you don't hear the compressor running or ice dropping. Smart.

I also noticed the elevator lobbies have a second set of doors so you can close them off and keep the halls quieter. I noticed a guest laundry on my floor, also behind a closed door, room key required for access. Brand new HE laundry machines, not ridiculously priced. $1.50 for a wash is not bad.

Room is standard Hyatt Place design, just brand new. Wall HVAC units under the window are controlled by a switch by the front door. This is very smart for guests and housekeeping to check the temperature before you walk out. A master light switch controls lights for the whole room, great again for housekeeping and guests. The usual comfortable sectional sofa in the cozy corner, executive desk, wet bar, and small refrigerator.

As always, I love the 42" plasma display with HDMI and other inputs available to plug computers and gaming consoles right into the monitor. Great selection of HD channels and in-room movies and entertainment.

The king size beds are insanely comfortable with 5 pillows. One of the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel.

The showers are beautiful with sliding glass doors, ceramic tile floor with marble tile walls. Also a constant central exhaust fan instead of a cheap noisy plastic fan.

Only one issue with my stay. The shower had very low water pressure. The lowest water pressure I have ever experienced in a hotel. If it wasn't for the water pressure (or lack thereof), my stay would have been flawless.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank captseaton
Maryland
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Couldn't ask for friendlier or more efficient staff. Rooms are large-with partial partition between bed and living area. Daily free continental breakfast hours are longer on weekends. Rooms come with refrigerator and coffee maker & iron and desk...wifii available throughout the hotel. Free shuttle to and from airport AND the shuttle will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius...shopping, restaurants, casino. The shuttle will go to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise port-its scheduled weekends at three different times in the am at the cost of $8 pp. Close to a shopping area and multiple restaurants are within walking distance.,. the shuttle will take you to the Ale House, that has very reasonable daily specials during week nites. If you bring an auto, parking is free and gated. Fitness center has new equipment. Nice pool that has equipment to lower disabled folks into the water. I really enjoyed my four day stay prior and post cruise stay at this hotel. I got a great deal on Hotwire for this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Marzerk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th ...
#13 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,211 reviews
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South

Been to Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!