“always our favorite pre cruise spot”

Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Once again we stayed at this Cambria Suites before our cruise.. and once again our expectations were exceeded. From the front desk to the rooms to the new Cuban restaurant down the block, it truly is the first day of a great vacation!

We will be back whenever we can find a room there pre cruise... always a great experience!

Room Tip: book early as this hotel fills up quickly.. you will be happily surprised!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dapro51
There are newer reviews for Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We traveled to this hotel for the convenience of parking and shuttle to the cruise port, and we were not disappointed. The staff at the desk were always pleasant and helpful, our room was bright, neatly organized, and most importantly clean. The shuttle service worked extremely well and the driver was the best. (Coming and going). Considering what is offered here with parking for up to 15 days, the price paid was very reasonable. We have stayed at several hotels in this area over the years and this one has to be rated with the very best. As for the restaurant, I cannot recommend. Food quality fair, prices high, service at best was just OK.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pond, very pretty.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed one night here and it was more than suitable. It was quiet and got a good sleep and free breakfast in the morning. Not just buns/yogurt - it was a full serve breakfast.
My sister forgot her electronic book in the room and when we got home 10 days later they had notified her that they had it and was returning it to her - awesome!
Nice pool and hot tub below our window and although we didn't get to use it, it was clean and inviting.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool as it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I booked is hotel because we had used it before, and was pleased. Room was fine, and desk personnel was fine, but in the area of dining, there was a problem. Two different girls had come to our table and mentioned they would be right back to wipe the table. Each time we sat waiting, taking so long that the desk personnel took notice. We finally asked the desk for delivery menus for the area, which is what we did since there is no resturants in walking distance. Manager did apologise and asked to give another chance, but we declined feeling it wasn't a good idea. Don't know if I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Picked this hotel because of the "Park-N-Cruise" option and of the reviews. Great facility, beautifully decorated and very comfortable beds. Will definitely book this hotel again when we cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rcrdale
Reviewed 30 November 2013

3rd time we stayed at this hotel before a cruise. Room was very clean. We had a corner room which appeared to be larger than the rooms we had in the past. Rooms are modern. Microwave and refrigerator in the room. Staff was once again very helpful. Cost for breakfast may be overpriced for what is offered. Prompt shuttle pickup after the cruise. The shuttle driver was very helpful with information for driving from hotel to central Florida. If we cruise from Port Everglades again, this will be our choice for our precruise stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had a one night stay 11/16/13 pre-cruise which included 4 rooms.
The property and rooms were clean and decorated beautifully. The beds were amazing, it was probably my best nights sleep pre-cruise ever.
We booked this hotel because of the reviews here and how close it was to Hard Rock resort.
We flew in the morning of called the hotel and they arrived within about 30 minutes. At check in we made our reservation time for cruise shuttle for the next morning. I told the girl then we would need to get a cab soon to go to lunch and stop at a publix, she said no problem when you get back down just let me know and she would call for one. After we took our luggage we went back down told her we were ready she made a call and said they would be there shortly. What I am about to post next is only to give others staying here an heads up. I am still giving the property itself a excellent review but don't want to see anyone else get caught up in a cab versus a service like we did so here is what happened:
My only complaint is I went to the desk to arrange a cab for our group to go to lunch. I specifically requested a cab. A van arrived we told him where we wanted to go. The name of the "service" (we later discovered) was Welcome. As we are on our way the driver calls "his Boss" to tell him where we wanted to go and tells us it will be $56.00 roundtrip for our group. We had a total of 6 going. I found it a bit odd I didn't see a meter but at this point didn't think too much about it. We had wanted to go to Tark's for lunch. First of all he had never even heard of it and I was having to google where it was. I had researched it on tripadvisor and it had really good ratings. When we finally arrived it looked like a total dump. I wsn't expecting a 5 star restaurant but unless he just took us to the wrong place it looked nothing as described by the many reviews on Tripadvisor.
There was not a table to be seen looked like everyone was on a barstool. Suffice it to say the others I was with wanted to go elsewhere.
We had eaten at Millerr's Ale House so we asked him to take us there. At this point we still thought we were in a regular cab. He then proceeds again to call "his Boss" to tell him we didn't want to go to the original place, since plan be was on the way back he said still the 56.00. We all started to get a bad feeling about this place when we asked him about stopping at a Publix for wine. Once again he goes to call his boss.
We have never had a problem getting a cab to sit outside for us with the meter running. At this point we ask how much it would be for the "service" we had up until arriving at Plan B. Still the 56.00 price and a no go on stopping at a Publix. So from here we ended up letting them pick us back up from Millers and return to the hotel since it was going to be 56.00 regardless. When we got into the van it was a different driver.
I had already pulled up to see there was a Publix 1.6 miles away. Once again this driver calls "his Boss" and it was like going through the act of Congress to make a simple stop. We had no problem compensating them for the time etc. Once again, the driver acts like he doesn't know where Publix is and his on the phone with "his Boss".
We finally give up and tell him not to worry about it just take us back to the hotel. On the ride back the driver is trying his best to explain to us their company is a service not a cab. I was telling him I requested a cab at the front desk. I really felt bad for the driver as like us he was stuck in the middle of "his Boss" and his passengers. I was more upset at the front desk for arranging the service rather then a cab as I asked for. I told the driver I was unhappy with "his boss" and would be putting a complaint on tripadvisor.
The poor driver was really trying to make us happy he said let me talk to my boss and if I can take you to Publix at no charge will you please not put a negative review? We said yes that would be great. Well, evidently Cambria Suites and "his Boss" are in cahoots because "his boss" was at Cambria Suites when we returned. Us girls waited in the van thinking we were going to Publix. "his boss" came over to us and got all argumentative with us. Saying he didn't charge us any extra when we decided we didn't want to go to the first restaurant. I tried to tell him we knew the trip was longer and had no problem in paying for the extra distance. I tried to tell him we were really close to Publx from Millers Ale House and he told me I didn't know anything. At this point I had, had enough. We got out of the van and told him we would just call a regular cab to take us to Publix. We thanked the driver for trying as he really seemed to feel bad for the whole situation.
As I was walking back inside to get help from the front desk for a metered cab service he started yelling at me saying he had thousands of clients a month and didn't need my business. It was all I could do to bite my tongue to not get into a knock down drag out with him in the hotel lobby but somehow I managed to keep my cool and just ignore him.
I went to the front desk and asked if I could please arrange for a cab that was a regular cab with a meter not a "service". They gave me the one with all the 7's. I called them from my cell and within a few minutes we had a cab at the front. Much better experience the driver knew where Publix was got there and back without issue. We called them back when we got ready to go to The Hard Rock. All went well.
On the return ride I felt calmed down enough to report the issue with the hotel manager. I told him I booked Cambria Suites because of it's closeness to Hard Rock but also based on their high ratings here and on tripadvisor. I said if they continued to recommend "the service" to their clients they would drop their ratings. I told him what I was most upset about was that I specifically requested a cab from the front desk. He was full of apologies but really felt like he was just telling me what I wanted to hear.
I am sorry this has gone on and on and been so wordy by no means did it put a damper on our vacation. I just wanted to give anyone else enough information staying at Cambria Suites so they could avoid the situation we fell into. I have tried to find info on this shuttle "service" but can't seem to find anything. The name on the van was Welcome.
We have stayed in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise several times and we always will use a cab if we are not within walking distance of a grocery store. When we have requested a cab it has always been one with a meter. I don't know if this particular shuttle service is affliated with Cambria Suites but if you are wanting a cab we found 954-777-7777 to be very efficient for our needs the rest of the day.
In Summary would I stay at Cambria Suites again? Yes, if the price was right. I would just make sure to call my own taxi service in the future. The rooms were very nice and the beds were amazing. Another positive I forgot the mention that I thought was really nice. The next morning we went down for breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast eater so I just wanted a bagel. The food and beverage manager heard me trying to order just a single bagel and DH was ordering the buffet. The manager told me please don't worry about the extra charge for a bagel if that was all I was having to just get that in the same price as DH's buffet. I wish I could remember his name but I really thought that was very nice of him.

Room Tip: Make sure if you request transportation and are wanting a taxi cab type service you are specific whe...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends