Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
“Not as good as it was”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed at Cambria two days pre-cruise and one day post cruise in January. We've stayed before, and our stay was so wonderful that we didn't consider any other hotel. Unfortunately our stays weren't as good as our stay a couple of years ago. It was still a very good hotel, but it used to be excellent.
The hotel is beautiful, very clean, and the rooms are a good size. We love the Bath and Body Works toiletries, and there were plenty of big fluffy towels. We didn't like the shower. It looks great with the big glass wall, but it was a wall, not a door. You couldn't turn the water on and let it warm up before entering. Instead you had to go in and get blasted with cold water--unless you could turn it on and run fast!
On our pre-cruise stay the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Arsenio. We needed help with our luggage, and it was provided quickly by a friendly young man. On our post cruise stay the front desk staff was less friendly, but it was a busy post cruise morning, and they were very busy.
On the first day of our stay we went out around 9 a.m. and returned after 2 p.m. to find that our room had not been serviced. Since my husband was napping when Housekeeping tried to come in after 3pm I only asked her to empty the waste basket and give us fresh towels.
The biggest reason I couldn't rate the hotel as Excellent was the shuttle service. On our pre-cruise stay we returned our rental car to the airport the day before the cruise. We called for the shuttle, and we were told it would be there in about 10 minutes. It was a very cold night, and we had to wait over 40 minutes for the shuttle. When it pulled into the waiting area the driver barely paused and began to drive away. My husband yelled, and he stopped, but even then he didn't thing we were the "right people" and he didn't want to take us. My husband insisted, and then as we were driving along he decided that we indeed were the right people. Then he missed the exit on the freeway so we had to go to the next exit and go back. The next morning when we got on the shuttle to Port Everglades several people asked if he was going to the port or the airport first. He assured everyone that he was going to the port and then the airport. He went to the airport first.
The worst shuttle experience was going to the airport post cruise. He loaded up the van, and headed to the airport. However, at Federal Highway he turned south instead of north. He was driving very fast--nearly 50 mph- and weaving in and out of traffic. When my husband finally asked him where he was going he said that he had to go to another hotel that the company owns to get 4 passengers. He went to a rather seedy hotel in a seedy area and picked up 6 more passengers. Then he headed to the airport. The ride which should have taken about 10 minutes took over 35 minutes, and we're still a bit suspicious that he was making extra money on his own with these pick-ups. In any case he was risking all of our lives with his driving. I see that there have been several comments about trouble with the shuttle service on Tripadvisor lately. Management ought to straighten this out before quickly. This hotel is too nice and has a lot of good points, but on this trip the bad almost outweighed the good. I hate to see a terrific hotel fall down.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Donnag

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Very nice hotel, booked through 123Stay for a pre-cruise stay. Hotel was very clean and had a nice quite stay. Only problem had was that when booked (in November) the rate included the shuttle to and from the cruise port. Well that had been changed and we were charged $4 per person to and from the port, when questioned it, they said it was never included to the pre-cruise package. Well it was when I booked it and that was the only reason I booked this hotel to begin with. The shuttle was running about 30 minutes late to get us to the port but pick up after the cruise went very smoothly. Over all a very nice stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 72715debs63
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Shuttle pickup at airport took over a half hour after I called hotel. The check in at the hotel was a complete horror to say the least. I believe I was about the sixth in line and they had only one clerk at first and he must have taken at least 20-25 minutes to check them in. Finally another clerk arrived, who I finally got to speak to when it was my turn. After completing paper work, I asked if they had a shuttle to the Hardrock Casino and she told me that they did not, but that they had a "third party transportation" what ever that meant. Told that this third party was the least expensive way to go at $18.00 each way and $36.00 round trip. Regular taxi would be about $25.00 each way. Took her advice and she called this "third party transporter" and went for about a ten minute ride to casino where the driver wanted the $36.00 in advance. All I had to do was call this phone number when I wanted to return. No Thanks. Told him I would pay the $18.00 now and than the other half when he picked me up for the return. Got a smart aleck answer and that ended our relationship. Call a regular taxi, returned to hotel for the sum of $13.50. I would recommend that nobody use this Third Party Transportation as I now believe that they are in partnership together to rip off their customers. Would I stay again at this hotel, probably not!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Robert B
Minnesota
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Place was very nice and clean. Bed was great!!
The only drawback was their restaurant is open to the lobby and the smell of the cooking permeates the whole building - which is quite off putting.
Superb location to airport.

Room Tip: Great rooms and great location - however you are paying for it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Southern Indiana
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here last year pre-cruise and had a good experience so I booked it again this year. I picked this hotel partially because of the airport shuttle. This year didn't go so well. I retrieved my luggage from baggage claim and called for a pick up. They direct you to a concrete island to stand. There were a lot of people waiting for various hotels to pick up. After a while most of the people were gone and the rest of us started talking. There were several of us all waiting for Cambria. After waiting for an hour I called to make sure they were coming. They assured me they were. When the driver finally arrived he was less than pleasant. He informed the group that he was only going to take the people who came in on one particular airline (mine) and would have to come back for everyone else. This did not make people happy. There was an elderly couple who had flown in internationally and the husband was in a wheelchair and you could tell he was exhausted. The driver was going to leave this couple because they came in on a different airline. The driver took them after I told him to give them my spot and I would take a taxi, which ended up being almost $30 when you added in the tip. I'm not one to complain, but as I was checking in someone who did make the shuttle came over to the counter and told them what happened. They ended up giving me a drink at the bar, complementary breakfast and comped the $5 charge to the cruise port the next day.

The room itself was fine, but is showing some wear since I was there last year. I'm sure they do a booming cruise business. The breakfast buffet is normally $10 and ok, but not that great.

The shuttle to the cruise port ended up being another disaster. They had me on the list for the Noon shuttle. At 12:15 the shuttle finally drove up and started loading people without checking his list. Once again he did not have enough room for everyone so I ended up getting left again. The 12:30 shuttle showed up and discovered that the first shuttle took all of the people for the 12:30 shuttle and I ended up being the only person for that trip.

With the poor experience with the shuttles, my main reason for staying here, I will be trying a different hotel the next time I cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Maysen
Endicott, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My dad and I booked a room at Cambria through Priceline for our pre-cruise stay in January. The airport shuttle was free and very prompt.

We arrived at the hotel early (just before 1) and was told that our room, with one King bed, was ready. I advised the worker that we had requested 2 beds as I was traveling with my dad and I WAS NOT going to sleep in a bed with him. If we couldn't have another room he was sleeping on the floor. They were very nice about the situation. They said they were sold out of standard rooms but would upgrade us to a corner suite for no charge.

The room was awesome. We joked that we were living in an apartment. Two rooms, two flat screen t.v., and nice bathroom. The only issue we had was with the safe. It was stuck open in the lock position and we called down to have someone reset it. We waited 30 minutes and then called again as we were going out for the evening. After 45 minutes we finally just took a chance and "hid" our valuable in the room and left. This was the only incident of not so great service.

We had drinks and a snack at night at the bar. Food was great and so was the service. Breakfast in the morning was also very good as far as hotel buffets go.

The beds were so comfortable. I want to take the linens home with me. The temp. in the shower was a little off. Started out very cold then almost got scalded by the end of the shower. Temp was not consistent.

We paid the $5.00 per person to take the shuttle to the cruise port and we were there in about 10 minutes. The cruise shuttle drive was fantastic and we were pre-cleared to enter the port.

All in all a great stay. Great staff and we loved our room.

Room Tip: We loved the corner suite on floor 5.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tracy A
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were there the first week they opened and been going back every year.
Nice lobby, Clean, nice rooms and friendly staff. Just don't get a room by the elevator if your a light sleeper. The room next/across from the elevators there was banging in the morning here and there.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple