“Beware...possible credit card skimming”

Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Simcoe, ON
“Beware...possible credit card skimming”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here in mid-March before a cruise. Booked 2 rooms through Priceline.com. The hotel is newer, in good shape and in a good location - close to airport and cruiseport.
When checking in, I was asked for a credit card for 'incidentals'....standard practise. What was not standard, was that the front desk attendant that was checking us in, walked away to a back room area with my credit card. This raised red flags to be immediately, as there was no reason for him to do this. I suspected that perhaps he was using this opportunity to illegally scan my card. I have never had this happen before and mentioned that something felt 'off' about the transaction to my husband.
Two days ago, I was informed by my credit card company that my card was indeed 'compromised'. My card was cancelled and I am waiting for a new one. While not informed of the specific location, I was asked to verify charges from this location.
I am hoping that the hotel management has taken proper action in dealing with this employee. As a frequent traveller, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this has occurred and if you also stayed here within the past month or so, I would advise you to carefully check your credit card statements.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Simcoe_ONOntarioMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Saipan, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed there twice within 2 weeks. It is close to the ports (air and ship). The rooms are large, clean and quiet. On this and previous stays, I have never had any problems with the shuttle. This is a busy hotel with most people heading off to a cruise. Odd at this price point that there is no buffet breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank IslandFolks
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at Cambria Suites for two nights prior to a cruise from Port Everglades. It was clean and the staff was very helpful, especially Amesha(sp?) who helped check on us in and get our cruise shuttle confirmed. The hotel is a little hard to find (watch for the very small sign right off of the exit from Stirling Road. (Or use GPS!) The rooms are rather small for a suite hotel, but did the job, wouldn't want to stay here for too long though. Nice view of a waterway next door. No free breakfast, but they told us the breakfast would be $9.95 for the buffet. (We didn't eat there.) If you don't rent or have a car, it is quite a walk to any restaurants. There is a big plaza with a lot of stores and restaurants (Oakwood Plaza) on the other side of I-95. The cruise shuttle worked out very well, but definitely reserve early as it fills up fast! We would definitely stay again before a cruise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side have a water view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Cambria Suites for 7 nights while visiting my daughter in Fort Lauderdale. I came down from NJ to help her find a place to live so I was in and out constantly. I originally made my reservation for 3 nights but had to extend it because of difficulty finding aa apartment for my daughter. The management went way out of their way (thank you Arsenio) to accomodate me and my daughter. The rooms are very big and have separate seating area's with sofa beds and tv's. The bathroom is very modern, with a big walk-in shower (no tub) and plenty of room. I was thrilled by my stay here and would recommend it proudly. The open area around the check-in is very large and can accomodate many people. This hotel seems to be favored by those who are taking a cruise and even flight attendents. As others have said, it is not very easy to find and they have a small sign out on Stirling Rd which can be easily missed. It is west of Rt.95 south on Stirling Rd. right after the Best Western Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ronald H
Nassau, Bahamas
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for the first time on an extended weekend trip with my family. I absolutely love this hotel everything was excellent (room, staff, restaurant food, hotel grounds). The rooms were very clean and modern. I just love everything about this hotel, I'm staying here every time i;m in Fort Lauderdale, just wish you had one just like it in Orlando and more cities!.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kara F
Brockville, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here overnight before a cruise. We choose this hotel mainly because you could park for 30 days with a park and cruise package which included shuttles to the Cruise Port.
They tried to charge us for the shuttle but we had booked several months in advance and it was part of the package. When we told them this and that 4 of our friends also booked here on our recommendation they did not charge any of us for the shuttles. Everything worked out well but we did have to wait 45 minutes for the return shuttle to get our car.
The hotel is nice but no breakfast included.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sansail
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed here twice - before our cruise and when we came back from our cruise. Both impressions were very favorable. The rooms are large, clean and the hotel public areas were well kept. We would definitely stay again. Negatives - restaurants are a distance away - would be okay if you had a car. The shuttle driver, of the van that picked us up at the airport, drove carelessly. The van had no seatbelts. Did not enjoy the ride at all. The shuttle driver to the cruiseport was most courteous and drove carefully.

Taxis do not seem to be able to find the place even with the address so bring a map for them.

Room Tip: Both rooms we stayed in - one facing the street (where there is no traffic) and one facing the pool...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple