“Not That Impressed”

HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Dania Beach
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I know the reviews on this property are wonderful but I have to take it down a few notches. Having recently stayed at Hawthorne Suites in West Palm Beach recently, it was a hard act to follow. I fell in love with that hotel...this one not so much.
The hotel here is attractive and the staff is super friendly. The cleanliness alone is fabulous, the breakfast was wonderful and evening reception was nice enough with beer and wine and a few food items, all complimentary. I saw the wine but they must have been out of beer. I'm not a drinker but it's nice if you may be. The pool was nice but we were unable to use it on our two night stay. There were just too many kids and sometimes adults that were a little too loud and boisterous. Some swimmers were pulling out life preservers and carrying on too much. We actually requested to go across the street to their Hyatt Place property as their pool was always quiet. (we could see both pools at ground level) That pool was calm and nice.
The business center with free computer use was nice but they really should post rules or monitor the area. Several times, I had to wait it out while unsupervised children were playing there on websites. If you have something to research, it can be frustrating. Front desk staff was nice but they are overworked. Hyatt should learn to stop cutting corners like that. One person cannot do everything.
"Suites" were not really suites. We were in a "1 bedroom suite.) At Hawthorne, they were seperated by doors with 2 bigger TVs, one in each room. (a plus when you have children/a child) This Hyatt 1 BR was not seperated and quite frankly, it was claustrophobic. There is no room to move around the beds or sofa, no way to get privacy away from anyone in your party. Closing the bathroom door can only be done with the doors they designed because if they opened out, they could never clear the bed near the door. The whole room was REALLY tight. The bathroom was awesome but I cannot understand why at 109 a night, there is NOT a bathtub. The shower is beautiful but I sure missed a tub. Toiletries were minimal so bring your own. Lobby snacks/food prices are scary high so shop before you arrive. There are stores nearby but not a grocery close. Bring it from home. The beds are super comfortable, linens are attractive and soft, housekeeping impeccable.
My issue here is the same one that plagues all Hyatt properties and will finally be enough to keep me away from them, no matter how much lower their rates. They ABSOLUTELY must do something about the locking mechanisms on their room doors. They SLAM, SLAM, SLAM and it's unavoidable. You HAVE to make alot of noise when it shuts behind you. That means that all day and night, those same LOUD slams interrupt your sleep or peace. If you are not so lucky, as we were, housekeeping will be operating in the room directly across from yours, as a homebase(433) . All morning and afternoon, it was one slam after another from staff. That was a complete deal breaker for me. The Hyatt properties are fabulous looking so I cannot understand how their designers listened to that and decided it would be a great addition to their business. It is awful! Sometimes you have neighors that like to open and shut alot, especially if they have little kids. It is terrible. This hotel also had the slowest elevators I have ever witnessed, bar none. No wonder they have chairs near them. You have a long wait. They also "talk" so, be prepared for that.
Oh, and with all hotels of the calibre, please try to remenber that women often make the choices on where we stay. We don't want so few TV channels to choose from and loaded with seemingly nothing but sports and news. If you only offer 25 or so channels, how about making them proportionate? About 1/5 or more are dedicated to sports alone. And often, when our children are having to stay in the room, they would like more than one channel for them. I have never been in ANY middle to higher end hotel that offered even ONE channel geared toward females. If you can have 5 versions of ESPN, surely you can give us an HGTV or Oxygen. I would settle for "E" or "VH1."
So, overall, I'd give this place a 7. The claustrophobic feeling and the doors slamming were too much for me to opt into Hyatt again. I would rather pay nearly the same price and go over to Hawthorne Suites. To me, that's the one that's too good to compare. This place isn't bad but it's not worthy of it's prior glowing reviews, either.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 12 June 2010

Awesome hotel!! Great breakfast- brand new hotel- rooms upgraded - best stay I had in years. Going back for fathers day weekend

Reviewed 2 June 2010

The suites are spacious and extremely clean. We stayed in the Trio suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and full kitchen. There was one king bed and two queen beds. Plenty of room for 5 people. Also, had a pullout sofa bed if needed. Breakfast was offered and we were pleased. Other hotel areas, including outdoor pool and fitness center, were very nice and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank karatekids2
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I'll start by saying that the staff was great!!

1. I was able to check in VERY early and they were nice about it.
2. On my first day there was a "noise issue" with my neighbor and their screaming kids. I went to the front desk and mentioned the noise and while I was out shopping, they called me on my cell phone to tell me that my new room was ready and that someone would be there to help me move!!
3. I realized on my 3rd day there that the dishwasher was broken and they sent a very nice maintenance person up immediately. He was not able to fix it that day but offered to move me to a new room. (I "made do" since I was leaving the next day).

The hotel is brand new and the room was very clean. They give you some "eco-friendly" options on linen and towel service too.

I felt safe in the hotel. Even though I did not see any cameras in the hallways, there were some at the exits. There was a deadbolt lock on the suite door in addition to the metal security latch.
Now, I will say that the surrounding neighborhood is a little sketchy but it was more than a couple miles away and the hotel is off on its own access road along with the new Hyatt Place.
There is a nice shopping center across the main road. It's a little busy crossing at the intersection on foot but is do-able.

The pool is clean and has nice amenities such as fresh towels and a Handicap Lift.

The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, utensils, pans etc.

The Evening Social had some great food and alcohol choices. I actually felt ok socializing with the other guests that were there.

Although this is a quiet, clean place to stay, there were things that I had issue with:
1. You can hear the toilet from upstairs (and/or next door) flushing
2. The door has a gap at the bottom and you can hear the very rare hall traffic on the weekend (I placed a towel under there and slept like a baby)
3. The breakfast buffet has a pretty good selection but some things seemed "straight out of your grocer's freezer" and probably were great when they fresh and hot at 6am.

I would definitely stay there again because of the hotel staff, they were wonderfully accomodating and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I stayed here with my family which includes a 2 1/2 year old......the breakfast was awesome, rate also includes a managers reception with snacks and drinks. Rooms were large and enough room to feel close, but seperate. Very quiet for a airport hotel, in fact it wasn't until we were headed back to the airport that I realized we were that close to the airport. There were some issues with the front desk and my credit card, the manager resolved quickly and it wasn't something that would prevent me from staying again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lilbit03
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I was very impressed by large, neat rooms and lots of amenities including a Kitchen in every suite.
Unlike other 4+ star hotel, Hyatt Summerfield does not charge for Internet, Wifi. They have complimentary breakfast too.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank snowymtn
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed here last night (4/23). This hotel is brand new, and obviously a lot of though was put into its design. The service was great from the ladies at the front desk, but the real treat came when we went to the room. The room is a suite (full size fridge, utensils etc-). Its also set up like a loft with an open floorplan (kitchen livingroom open).

The hotel is off in a secluded area away from heavy I-95 traffic, but at the same time is an easy walk (less than 4 mins) to a shopping area that includes a movie theater. Although we didnt use it there is a gym and pool, an actual breakfast (not just cereal) thats complimentary. Apparently M-Thur they also have a complimentary happy hour-snack time. Great place, I travel a lot and rely on Trip Advisor so I wanted to share the wealth with others.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#13 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!