“Fantastic Pre-Cruise Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Ottawa, Canada
“Fantastic Pre-Cruise Hotel”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites for one night prior to our cruise and we wished we could have stayed longer. The room was huge with a good sized kitchen and living room and everything was spotlessly clean. The staff were great - friendly and helpful at all times. We were within walking distance of a mall that had all the stores needed to pick up anything that one might have forgotten to pack and enough choices of restaurants to satisfy everyone. The airport shuttle is included in the price and the cruise shuttle was only $8.00 each. The hotel arranged the shuttle for us and we had absolutely no issues what so ever. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank solituda
HyattSFSManager, General Manager at HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Summerfield Suites for your pre-cruise stay. I am glad you were happy with the size of our rooms and our hospitality. We look forward to seeing you the next time you decide to take a cruise. If I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 954-922-0271.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New England
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We were three grown adults traveling together. We called and requested a room that would suit our needs for four nights. The front desk clerk suggested the "executive double suite". He told me there were three beds (2 doubles and a pull out couch). This information was true. We wished we had known the following before shelling out $119 per night (booked through Priceline.com - non-bidding option):
(1) The bathroom has two french style doors with no door handle on the inside. You read that correctly - there were no door handles at all on the inside of the bathroom at all. Purposely. That meant the person on the inside had to pull the doors shut by grabbing the outside edge and - with a running start - slam it shut. I've never seen such a thing - and I travel a lot.
(2) The room is otherwise horrifically designed. The aforementioned doors to the bathroom are literally inches from one of the two double beds. Additionally, the beds monopolize the entire sleeping area - so much so, that it is necessary to virtually side step the foot of the beds in order to get by. The sofa nearly touches the room dividing entertainment unit when opened - making it impossible to open drawers to access clothes - to say nothing of walking around the sofa bed when open. What was the design team thinking?
(3) We left the room on one morning at around 9:40a. When we returned at 10:40pm - there was a note informing us that the hot water was going to be shut off from 11pm until 5am. That gave three adults a whole 20 minutes to use the shower and wash up for bed. Overnight, toilets couldn't be flushed -- and hands could not be washed following use of the facilities. The note offered alternate accommodations for those needing them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There was no explanation regarding the reason for the shut off -- and when I called the front desk, the clerk literally knew nothing regarding the motivation behind this. I was directed to contact the hotel manager in the morning after 7:30a. The clerk did not offer to leave a message, connect me to voicemail or otherwise see if he could help console my frustration. No apology provided. Just a cold "you can call the manager tomorrow." I left the hotel at 6a the next morning vowing never to return to this - or any other Hyatt property again.
(4) The front desk staff is sub-par for a Hyatt brand property. Service was impersonal - as though the clerks were annoyed by any request or question. I am never nasty (my review is much harsher than I come across in person!). The desk clerks always responded with as short an answer as possible. At one point, I asked a woman (Irina?) whether we could move out of our inferior room - even if it meant paying for an upgrade. She told me that we could do so "possibly tomorrow". When I asked "how much"? She replied: "I think it's $219." I literally had to ask her to check the pricing - and the availability - as opposed to her doing so on her own. When I asked, she sighed and said "I'll have to log into my system." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? At a Hyatt?
(5) I went to use the business center (two computers with a printer). I literally sat and waited for about 90 seconds while a gentleman in a Hyatt uniform was checking his bank account balance. Now, I don't care about the 90 second wait. But, I was astonished that staff are using the same computers as the guests. Worse was the same woman as earlier (Irina?) texting (or something similar) on her cell phone on multiple occasions when I passed through the lobby. Did this hurt me directly at all? No. But, it was indicative of the unprofessional service and poor management at this hotel.

When I book a room - I expect (a) a bed; and (b) running hot water. When those items are not provided without warning - the hotel needs to provide compensation. Period. Nothing at all was offered. Add to this, the ridiculous room design (including lack of door knobs) and very poor front desk staff -- and I must urge travelers to look elsewhere. Hyatt needs to look into the problems at this hotel. It is truly marring it's brand name.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights in Nov 2010.
What a pleasant, clean, and new looking suite hotel. The rooms are like an apartment with separate kitchen area. Breakfast is included, can be busy at the weekend.
Located in it's own "private" grounds, 10 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from port everglades. Shopping mall across the road with a McDonald's etc in walking distance.
Definitely will recommend this place and stay again if needed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sirsteve
West Lafayette, IN
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I won this hotel on a 3-star Priceline bid in the FLL Airport area. I was traveling for a cruise in Miami and really only wanted an airport shuttle. Thankfully this hotel provided that and much more.

Upon arrival at the FLL airport, I looked for a bank of hotel phones. Not seeing one, I pulled up the number on my phone and called the hotel. Right as I got through, however, the hotel shuttle (shared with Hyatt Place) pulled up to the hotel transportation area outside of baggage claim. I realize this was very fortuitous, and after the ride, if I had missed it, I could see a 20-30 minute wait. My trip to the property was slowed a little by a detour for a family already in the van when I boarded that was being taken to a local restaurant.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was greeted and efficiently checked in. I was offered my choice of a low or high floor, and not caring, was given a high one. The elevator right off the lobby is a bit slow, but that is a minor complaint. I was given room 616 which seemed to be in the middle of the hallway. It had a studio feel with a full kitchen (fridge, dishwasher, microwave, etc), large couch (with pullout bed), and a room divider containing a TV that could pivot to face the couch or the king bed on the other side. The bathroom was spacious with a large walk-in shower. Wifi access was free and, while not incredibly fast, was usable with my iPad and phone.

On Mon-Thurs, a manager's reception is offered with wine, beer (Miller Lite or Yuengling I believe), and hors d'ouvres. Breakfast was also included in the morning with the usual toast, cereal, and yogurt options as well as eggs, ham, and pre-made waffles. The food pretty much aspired to average, but it was free and welcomed.

There are dining and shopping options in the area if you don't mind a bit of a walk. Down the entrance road was a Burger King and Chipotle, and across a quite busy street were more food options (McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc) as well as a strip mall with shopping opportunities (BJ's, KMart). While the hotel feels quite new, some places in the area felt a little run-down. I would not feel entirely comfortable walking around at night in the area, though I was OK in the day.

Checkout is at noon. I used SAS transportation to the pier which sent a van to pick me up at the hotel and took me to Miami for a $15 fare ... not too bad at all.

All-in-all, this was a very nice hotel with what seemed like a competent and courteous staff. While there is some stuff in the area if you want to venture out, there is nothing special in the area like a beach, etc. I wouldn't not hesitate booking here again before or after a flight.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank silentbob007
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Stayed here for a great price through Priceline for 3 nights after a cruise. Very clean, and nice. I was on the 6th flr....which was quiet, except for the housekeeping staff talking outside my door in the morning. The only downside was that housekeeping skipped my room after the second night, even though I had put the "refresh" tag in the door lock for the whole day. I did need towels, shampoo, and soap, which was delivered promptly at 6P.M., after I called the desk, but housekeeping said they would do the room in the A.M. The front desk staff is great, and very friendly. The breakfast was excellent, and the evening social was impressive as well. Room was great.....loved the swivel TV between the bedroom, and sitting area. Great Wi-Fi. My only other issue was that the elevators needed some cleaning....and the card key access for parking could be a challenge reaching from the car window. All in all, a great place!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank TommyTPA
Iowa
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I chose this hotel after reading all the positive reviews about this hotel. Also we received a rate of $116 per night with our AAA discount. We stayed her before our cruise left the next day. Once we got our luggage at the airport I called for the shuttle and it was there to pick us up within 15 mins. This motel was nicer than I even could have imagined! We were going to go out for supper but the room was so nice we decided to order in and enjoy the room more. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast we had in the morning was as good as any breakfast we had on the cruise ship. I HOPE my travels take me back to southern Florida so I can stay at this hotel again! I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
jacksonville
Reviewed 24 November 2010

This was a priceline steal. Last minute and got a great rate. This hotel is really exceptional. The rooms are very beautiful and clean and the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in, I am totally checking the tags on the linens so I can purchase them for my home! The breakfast was great, hot and cold items. I missed the dinner that is provided free Monday through Thursday, but there is a menu posted in the room and it looks great. Sorry I missed the Thai lettuce wraps last night! The only reason that I gave it four stars for sleep is that there is a small amount of "water noise" when people are showering, etc. It did briefly wake me.I thought the sink was on. The couch in the living area is very comfy and big enough for two good sized children, although probably only one teenager or adult. There is no separate bedroom, but the sleeping areas are somewhat divided. Bathroom and kitchen are lovely and they provide free grocery shopping if you need things picked up. I would definitely stay here again. The gym is very nice as well.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business