“For the price! It was excellent, considering the holiday time of year!”

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Took a drive from Atlanta to South Florida, via an overnight in Tampa and Fort Lauderdale.

We took a risk because this was a holiday weekend and I know as someone from South Florida that the cars and the hotels can get expensive. With our relatives having other relatives already staying with them, we wanted our own space. As we approached South Florida, my wife starting using the various apps on our phones from Tripadvisor to Hotels Tonight to hunt down hotels. There was availability, but the rates were ridiculous ($180 to $339 per night) for good locations in both Miami and Ft Lauderdale metro areas. One app revealed the Sheraton Ft Lauderdale Airport at around $100. The other apps had it much higher. We locked in the room reservation and got to the front desk before they even knew they had a reservation in their system for us. That was kind of funny! But they found the reservations.

Location:
The hotel is so close to FLL airport, that there is a smaller Griffin Road access road to the airport just down the street from the hotel. Yes, they have shuttle service to the airport.

It is about a block away from I-95 and about 30 minutes from downtown Miami (not including rush hour). The cruise port is about 10 minutes away and downtown Ft Lauderdale is about 15 minutes away. All measured by using a car, of course. There are no restaurants of value close by. However, across the expressway is a restaurant attached to the Bass Pro Shops called, "Islamorada". The seafood there is very good. A little bit further away is the Rustic Inn Crabhouse. That restaurant is always full. Oh yes, the hotel is 15 minutes from the beach.

Outside Appearance and Parking Lot:
It is basically a white building with a large parking lot, than can get quite full, because it also is used as a park and ride for the airport, it seems. There is a $15 per day in and out as much as you like charge, that will be added to your room at check-out. Don't like parking fees, but remembering hotels in downtown San Fran wanted to charge $60 a day (we stayed near the airport instead), I let this one go.

Lobby and Staff:
The lobby was not ornate, but it was upscale and it was definitely setup for business operation. The desk staff was courteous and they made you feel welcome.

Room:
They gave us a decent size room with a large comfortable looking queen bed. It was a earthen, light brown tone and there wasn't much artwork on the walls. However, the furnishings looked like they were very well maintained and the carpet was okay, although there was a small stain or two.

The Bathroom: Was a little small, but fine for two people and there were no maintenance issues that I could see.

The Wifi: Well, that was an issue for me. Because I hate to pay for wi-fi, so I was not able to use my iPad

The best part: Well, that bed that I said looked comfortable. Well, it was absolutely fantastic. Usually I am not warm enough, or I am too cold or I don't feel the bed cuddling me enough. I always have an issue getting used to strange beds, but this one just sucked you in surrounded you with comfort and floated me right off to dream paradise. In fact, it was so comfortable, that I left my wife in the hotel enjoying it while I ran around finishing the last few pieces of business that I had to do before heading back in Atlanta's direction.

I don't like paying more than $75 for any hotels and you get spoiled when some of the websites get you four-star hotels for about $60, so often. However, I do realize the economics of holiday rates in South Florida (well, except for $535 rental cars for just 3 days).

So based on that premise and with so many lesser hotels were running more than $200, I think this was a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lifetraveler1

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stay here for 1 night just to meet the 50th night to maintain platinum status. It is 10 miles from my client. There are other hotels with one mile

Older hotel. Did not get upgraded except to the club floor. Room is small, for one nigh, it is fine. Parking is $15. A lot of guess are going to the cruise and there is shuffle that takes your there.

I get free breakfast at the club lounge. It was pretty good especially the scrambled eggs.
I only stay enough nights to maintain platinum so that I can get the upgrade and other benefits in Asia. Almost every hotels I stayed were excellent.

I get free wifi, otherwise you may have to pay. It was pretty slow.

An OK hotel for business traveler, don't expect too much.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed Christmas night prior to a cruise. The airport shuttle is disorganized. The signs tell you to line up outside of baggage claim. The operator at the hotel told us to go upstairs. We were finally picked up outside of baggage claim. The hotel itself is a bit dated. The room had a standard small bathroom. Everything was clean and the bed was fine with nice linens. The place is fine for one night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Cheerful, clean, welcoming rooms with friendly staff and reliable airport shuttle make this a good stopover point for air and cruise travel. I do not agree with the negative reviews about this hotel, and I am hard to please.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank voyager81
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We were greeted by an efficient, kind desk staff. We arrived early from our cruise ship, so our room was not available. We were directed to the breakfast room (14.95 buffet) or to the computer kiosk and were told they would have housekeeping ready our room ASAP. True to their word, we were checked in within the hour.

We had a delicious lunch in the lobby bar/restaurant (service was very friendly, but a little slow). We tried the pool and spa -tiny, threadbare towels, but a nice area with tables, chairs and lounge chairs. The jets in the spa weren't working, but it was otherwise fine.

Room service dinner was also good and reasonably priced. No fridge or microwave in room. Air conditioning was okay, but the window didn't open, so it was a little stuffy and despite the non-smoking policy, the room had an odor of stale cigarette smoke.

The big plus for this site is the service. The bellman (Chris) was outstanding, making sure we had everything we needed. He put our bags on the racks provided and even offered to fill our ice bucket. Later in the day he saw us in the lobby and mentioned he noticed I was having difficulty getting around. He mentioned they had a wheel chair and offered to get it for me at that time or later if I needed a little assistance to help me get around. Very kind.

We made use of the airport shuttle the next day, also very kind and helpful. I would put this hotel at the top of my Miami/Ft. Lauderdale list.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank teri1010
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The staff was very friendly on my brief trip. The lobby was very nice though also under construction.

The rooms had seemingly newer bedding and TVs. The flooring was uneven with older carpet placed on top. I was placed in a handicapped room with a large bathroom/shower combination. The sink is free standing thus has no counter to place anything on and the only area to place anything was across the large bathroom in the toilet area. Making it difficult to get ready in the morning. There was not a mirror over the desk unit so it was not possible to get ready over there either. There was, however, a full length mirror beside the desk just against the corner of the room, though I had no room to pull up a chair there.

The rooms further down the corridor are free from hotel noise however receive a lot of noise from I-95.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SirinKiz
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here mainly due to low rate and proximity to airport and cruise port while on my mid-deployment vacation. I stayed here for 5 days before my cruise and 3 days after. This hotel is close to nothing (except the fishing hall of fame). 90$ will get you a cab to Sawgrass mills and most other malls, or you could spend the day on public transit. Overall very satisfied with the room. Had a corner king on the 9th floor. Very spacious room and comfortable bedding. Being in the corner, was very quiet.
Pool area was very nice as well (aside from a group of old men staring at you from the hot tub). The food was surprisingly terrible, except for the pizza (highly recommend!!), and was overpriced as usual. The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, going as far as to change my room due to a large and noisy family group beside my room. If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the airport/cruise port and NOTHING ELSE, I highly recommend this hotel. They also offer a free shuttle to both areas. If you are staying in Ft Lauderdale for any length of time, stay somewhere closer to civilization, or at the bare minimum rent a car.

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Brendon R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!